KSP Challenge: Destroy the KSC!

Darth Badie

38 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I'll take a shot at it tomorrow... no pun intended  :)

Can someone upload an hour long video to YouTube? Is there a limit how long it can be? I could always break it into 2 or 3 parts... 

I've uploaded 4 hour streams.  It just takes a while for the video to be fully encoded.

Has anyone taken the time to go through and tally up all the possible points yet? I'll be on that momentarily

To be concise: how many of them count for destruction points? Technically, a flag is not a building, but it explodes well enough... Also, the R&D facility is more than one structure to be destroyed. Is all of the runway 50 points? or (50 per section) 250? Does taking out one section count, or do I need to destroy all?

On 11/13/2017 at 5:35 PM, Just Jim said:

The only thing I still can't blow up, no matter how hard I hit it, is the crawler-way between the VAB and launchpad... does anyone know if it's even possible, or if it's indestructible?

I do sincerely believe it's indestructable, that crawlerway...
Even immune to my "playing hard ball" on it...
EGGi4CS.png?1
Please do be sure to inform me if I'm wrong and my ground-game needs to intensify... :wink: 

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No to hyperedit and vessel mover.

And the Rods mod, no also, sorry.  I couldnt find one newer than for 1.1.2, and according to the forum, it was buggy

If I made a new rods mod, could I use that?

Also just checked. Crawlerway is indestructible.

14 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

If I made a new rods mod, could I use that?

Also just checked. Crawlerway is indestructible.

No.  It would be too much for me to check and verify it.

But you can do similar things using what's available.

6 hours ago, Dark Lion said:

Has anyone taken the time to go through and tally up all the possible points yet? I'll be on that momentarily

To be concise: how many of them count for destruction points? Technically, a flag is not a building, but it explodes well enough... Also, the R&D facility is more than one structure to be destroyed. Is all of the runway 50 points? or (50 per section) 250? Does taking out one section count, or do I need to destroy all?

Good questions:

The flag counts, if you can get it.

Each building in the R&D Complex counts

Each section of the runway counts, please list how many you destroy

6 hours ago, Dark Lion said:

I don't know about total points, but I've made a list of everything that can be blown up (34 total)

Runway (6 sections)
SPH
SPH Round Tank
SPH Tanks
SPH Water tower
VAB
VAB Round tank
VAB Tanks
Launchpad
Launchpad Round tank
Launchpad tank
Launchpad flagpole
Tracking Station
North Dish
East Dish
South Dish
R&D Main Building
R&D Small Lab
R&D Central Bldg
R&D Side Lab
R&D Tanks
R&D Observatory
R&D Wind Tunnel
R&D Corner Lab
Mission Control
Admin Building
Mail Flagpole
Astronaut Complex
Capsule Memorial

Edited by Just Jim

On 11/11/2017 at 6:07 AM, almagnus1 said:

Does blowing up the planet count for blowing up KSC?

No

On 11/12/2017 at 9:28 AM, Fulgora said:

Thanks for updating the leaderboard @linuxgurugamer ! the values are a bit off though :P

Fewest parts (link):

3 parts, 624:funds:, 1 Building down, 7.52 points

Lowest cost (link):

3 parts, 624:funds:, 1 Building down, 7.52 points

Combined (link):

9 parts, 1958:funds:, 4 Buildings down, 70.84 points

I had the cost-tag wrong on the 9-part craft but the formula had the correct value causing a bit of confusion...

I am using a spreadsheet, the leaderboard is being updated.  Your numbers are a bit  off

The first one, for example:

1 * 50 - 3 * 10 = 20, I have no idea where you got the 7.52 from

On 11/13/2017 at 1:01 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, I just realized I can start my rampage with the launch pad for the cost of a launch clamp. 1 part for :funds:200 is a penalty of 14 to gain another 50, so a theoretical gain of 36 points on my previous score. Not that I want to take the time to do it again....

I don't know if the runway takes more abuse than the launch pad or not, but maybe you can drop a tough collection of structural parts that'll survive the destruction enough for you to pick it up again with a Klaw?

It's been a fun challenge, and I could try to improve on it, but I feel the need to get on with my current career. It seemed to have a little too much money, so now it has to recover from the near-complete destruction of the facilities by Bobzer :mad:. He will be assigned as the sole crew member of the upcoming Eve Advance Base Mission...

I'll leave you this...

One question, did you have any cheats turned on (ie:  No Crash Damage)?  Because I don't see how nothing on the rover got damaged during the impacts

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

One question, did you have any cheats turned on (ie:  No Crash Damage)?  Because I don't see how nothing on the rover got damaged during the impacts

I've also been working with a rover:

KbNjKMs.png

It can survive smashing down smaller stuff, like this round tank. However, there have been a couple times it sort of "got caught" in the explosion... then it gets smashed up. But most often, about 90% of the time, if you get the speed just right, it blows the tank and just bounces off with no real damage to the rover.

Larger stuff, like the admin building, can be brought down, but also can be tricky.

It cannot survive trying to smash down the VAB or SPH

The worst are the three tracking antenna, because of the big cone shaped bases they're propped up on. About 90% of the time the rover gets smashed on the base without bringing down the antenna.

35 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I’m on mobile and just arrived at work so more details will have to wait, but no cheats were used. Bobzer was killed many times, twice in the music video. The parts were chosen for their ruggedness. Also, the engine or solar panel was lost many times, or it flipped over. The F9 button was used quite liberally. 

25 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

It cannot survive trying to smash down the VAB or SPH..

Actually, I was able to take down the SPH no problem 

I did it!!!  WOOHOO!!!

Well, more or less... :rolleyes: I'll need a judgement call on one thing. But I don't care, after 13 or so attempts, I'm taking it!!!

I have the whole thing on video, but like I expected, it's a little over an hour long, so it'll take a bit to get it put together and uploaded. 

Oh, and I have the funniest Kerbal style ending!!!

As soon as it's ready I'll post it... lots and lots of ka-booms!!!  :D

OK... following up on my last post...

I did it.... 34 buildings, tanks, etc, all brought down in one really long launch! The Kerbal Space Center is no more...

First thing.... this was just about the most challenging challenge yet... no pun intended. I may make it look easy in the videos, but the truth is it was anything but easy!!! I lost count, but I must have done this at least a dozen times before I got it right, and for all sorts of reasons. It was frustrating, aggravating... and a royal pain in the butt, and to @linuxgurugamer and @Badie I have just one thing to say...

Thank you!!!    :)

Sooo... YouTube was not about to let me upload a 90 minute video, but it did let me break it half and upload each half. No big deal, there's a point about halfway through I had to pause the game anyway... mostly because it was getting around noon and I needed a sandwich... and I had to chop a 15 minute pause down to a few seconds. So it was already a good point to just chop the whole video in half. It's right when I land the airship, so it breaks down to Part-1 being an air-assault, and Part-2 a ground-pounding with a rover.

One thing @linuxgurugamer & @Badie, I need a judges ruling... Right as I was finishing up, and had 4 buildings left... I think there were 4... the rover got "stuck" in a pile of debris... it wasn't terribly damaged... just stuck. And even with an insane SAS, no amount of wiggling was going to get it freed. This occurs at about 27:00 minutes into the second video. So I had to resort to the F5/F9 trick, and thankfully it freed it back up so I could finish. It's up to you whether the last few buildings count or not... I really don't care... I did this too many times, and I'm not going to score good anyway. I just wanted to see if I could get every building.... and at that point I just wanted to see it finished.

Oh, and the last 10 second or so of part two, before I exited the game, I brought up the alt-F12 window, just to show nothing had been checked off and I didn't cheat in anyway. :wink:

What else? Oh, yeah, these were made mostly using @Angel-125's Heisenberg Airship and Buffalo Rover mods.

So, about my score... yes, I nailed all 34 buildings, but the cost and part counts are obscene...

Parts: 483
Cost: 560,611

I'm not going to even try to do the math, but I'm sure the result is in the very high negative numbers. That's fine.

Again, these are really long videos... and part 1 is dreadfully slow... what can I say? Blimps aren't known for their speed... I don't expect most anyone to sit through the whole thing.

But please... if you watch only part of this, Watch Part 3 - the 6 minute finale: Flight of the Valkyrie!!!  

Trust me... it's a really great Emiko Station kind of moment... for those that have read Emiko... You know me.... this is one of those times when I promise you'll scream at me, "How could you?" while trying to hold your breath at the same time!!!  hehehe   :0.0:

OK, enough, here it is. How to blow up the entire KSC in one launch, Just Jim style:

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

One thing @linuxgurugamer & @Badie, I need a judges ruling... Right as I was finishing up, and had 4 buildings left... I think there were 4... the rover got "stuck" in a pile of debris... it wasn't terribly damaged... just stuck. And even with an insane SAS, no amount of wiggling was going to get it freed. This occurs at about 27:00 minutes into the second video. So I had to resort to the F5/F9 trick, and thankfully it freed it back up so I could finish. It's up to you whether the last few buildings count or not... I really don't care... I did this too many times, and I'm not going to score good anyway. I just wanted to see if I could get every building.... and at that point I just wanted to see it finished.

I assume you mean that you first did a save, and then a load?  That is fine

You're correct, your numbers are way negative.  But, so far you are on top for the Judge's Choice

Edited by linuxgurugamer

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I assume you mean that you first did a save, and then a load?  That is fine

You're correct, your numbers are way negative.  But, so far you are on top for the Judge's Choice

Yes... I hit F5 and then immediately hit F9 to reload it, and by some miracle, it actually worked to un-stick my rover.

And yeah, I knew my numbers were terrible... again, no big deal. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off.

But I'll issue a side challenge to anyone interested: Take out all the buildings for less parts and/or funds than I did. :)

Edited by Just Jim

56 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yes... I hit F5 and then immediately hit F9 to reload it, and by some miracle, it actually worked to un-stick my rover.

And yeah, I knew my numbers were terrible... again, no big deal. I just wanted to see if I could pull it off.

But I'll issue a side challenge to anyone interested: Take out all the buildings for less parts and/or funds than I did. :)

I'm just curious about one thing (so far).  You used pairs of SRBs to take out the runway, but it appeared that maybe only one was needed?

And I absolutely LOVE the ending, and the music is perfect

Edit: and I did watch about 90% of both video.  Fabulous!!!!

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm just curious about one thing (so far).  You used pairs of SRBs to take out the runway, but it appeared that maybe only one was needed?

And I absolutely LOVE the ending, and the music is perfect

Edit: and I did watch about 90% of both video.  Fabulous!!!!

Thank you! Believe it or not, there were several times I hit the runway smack perfectly with both, and they just bounced off... :mad:  One of the aggravating reasons it took so many attempts. But the big reason for using paired "Bunker-busters" was to maintain the airship's balance. Airships can be really twitchy, and I didn't want to fire anything from just one side, or it could roll. And if you watch, you'll notice I'm also firing them furthest pair in front, then furthest pair in the rear, and back again. This is to keep her from getting too nose or tail heavy.

I also just added an ending "Finale" video... just that last 6-minute bit... hehehe. One of the most Kerbal things I've ever done... and I'm betting I couldn't do it again if I tried a thousand times.   

I just saw the leader board... my score was really -12,642.22???  That's hilarious!!! I didn't want to attempt the math, but I suspected it would be something really funny like that!  :D

Oh, and any question you might have about this, feel free to ask, either here or pm me. :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

8 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I just saw the leader board... my score was really -12,642.22???  That's hilarious!!! I didn't want to attempt the math, but I suspected it would be something really funny like that!  :D

That's the combined score, and it's the cost more than the parts.  And, so far, you are also the only one to destroy everything

Edited by linuxgurugamer

8 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I also just added an ending "Finale" video... just that last 6-minute bit... hehehe. One of the most Kerbal things I've ever done... and I'm betting I couldn't do it again if I tried a thousand times

Darth Badie?  Squad of minions?  My head is about to explode

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yeah... what can I say?  It was late... and my brain was already fried from re-doing the challenge a dozen times... :confused:
And for the record, it's "Beautiful and Devious" Darth @Badie....  lmao... :wink:

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That's the combined score, and it's the cost more than the parts. 

That's cool... I think it's really funny!!!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:
5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yeah... what can I say?  It was late... and my brain was already fried from re-doing the challenge a dozen times... :confused:
And for the record, it's "Beautiful and Devious" Darth @Badie....  lmao..

This was so funny! Thanks @Just Jim I think I want to change my name to Darth Badie now ... :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.