Vanamonde

What the heck is flying over my area?

Rough sketch. 

vvl7vQH.png

I live in mid-California, nowhere near any borders, and it's the wrong time of year for foreign visitors to air shows. So what in the world is that thing? Sorry I can't get a better view of it, but I'm only seeing it from below and from a distance. Could be single or duel engine. 

2 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Rough sketch. 

vvl7vQH.png

I live in mid-California, nowhere near any borders, and it's the wrong time of year for foreign visitors to air shows. So what in the world is that thing? Sorry I can't get a better view of it, but I'm only seeing it from below and from a distance. Could be single or duel engine. 

Could be a c-17, Travis airforce base

16 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Rough sketch. 

vvl7vQH.png

I live in mid-California, nowhere near any borders, and it's the wrong time of year for foreign visitors to air shows. So what in the world is that thing? Sorry I can't get a better view of it, but I'm only seeing it from below and from a distance.

I believe it's an aeroplane of some kind.

14 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Could be a c-17, Travis airforce base

Thanks, but much smaller. Fighter-sized. Single seat, I suspect, and I think shoulder-mounted wing, though I can't be sure from underneath. Looked like a dark green paint job, but the light wasn't good, so I could be wrong about that. 

3 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Thanks, but much smaller. Fighter-sized. Single seat, I suspect, and I think shoulder-mounted wing, though I can't be sure from underneath. Looked like a dark green paint job, but the light wasn't good, so I could be wrong about that. 

ok, that helps

EXTREEEMY unlikely, but it could be a b-47

Edited by RoadRunnerAerospace

14 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Scorpion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textron_AirLand_Scorpion

Just now, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Why would it be in california?

You asking me?
How the ___ should I know? I don't freaking live there. I live 2500 km north of California.

C-130 style cargo plane?

IbOiaRE.png

Looks like this to me. EA6B Prowler.  ea-6b-prowler_006-ts600.jpg

Dark green usually means marines.

This chart may be of use:

Possible Undiscovered Planets

Thanks, but not an Intruder/Prowler. I am familiar with those and would have recognized them. 

Your artistry leaves the window wide for interpretation; How about a guesstimation of its size (small or mid sized fighter, large cargo like), and was it jet or prop-driven (could you hear it), and should I take it that's a T-Tail?

You could take a stab at paging through Chapters 5 through 12 here (http://www.aircav.com/recog/recogtoc.html), and see if anything fits the bill.

Jet, smallish, as in a single or dual-seater, and I couldn't tell if it was a T-tail because I was looking at it from underneath, but I think not. 

Thanks for the link, but given the weapons pylons I'm pretty sure it was a ground attack, but was none of those in that guide. 

I tried a google image search of your picture. Google suggests that is was "Bond Street tube station". I think that's somewhat unlikely. 

:mad:

My guesses based on the sketch:

• Buccaneer
  • Harrier
  • Alpha Jet
  • F-4 Phantom

mig 15/17

Edited by Kokoro
mig not might, stupid fone...

My guess is the Vought A-7 Corsair II even though it has 2 more hardpoints they don't extend out from the wings.
FA7_vl.jpg

Are you sure there weren't any air shows nearby at the time? 

What angles were you viewing it ? Does it goes fast enough ? Your profile could've been shortened if it goes fast enough.

Given that its flying, its unlikely to be an antique.

Could be a Harrier Jump Jet; shoulder wings, dark green, etc all fits

Could it have been something similar to examples shown here?

https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2015/08/11/special-mission-aircraft/

A business jet used as a some sort of testbed/flying lab, with podded instruments? Its not all that uncommon, as a further example, the RAF used to operate these (below) for multiengine training but also for naval anti-air training with radar simulator pods on the wings.

2C5F4D38_1143_EC82_2EA870858D300CCB.jpg

Another guess:

1-fma-ia-58.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_IA_58_Pucará

Or this?

PA_T2_F_0006_W.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_T-2_Buckeye

Or even:

t-45-goshawk-006.jpg

Thers another aircraft that matches the drawing that I can imagine, but I cant for the life of me remember any identifying details about it and cant find it anywhere..... :mad:

Edited by p1t1o
Srsly what is wrong with my brain/fingers. Brainfingers.