What the heck is flying over my area?

Vanamonde

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Thers another aircraft that matches the drawing that I can imagine, but I cant for the life of me remember any identifying details about it and cant find it anywhere..... :mad:

I thiiiiiink this is the aircraft I was thinking of, seems to fit the drawn profile quite well, if you stick some hardpoints on the wings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_105

Saab_105OE_10.jpg

Its Swedish so I dont know what it'd be doing there but someone mentioned an airshow nearby? You often see strange aircraft flying when that happens. Saw an F-22 whilst working near Farnbrough in the UK once :)

(It might be the "AppleMac" of fighter aircraft, but dang it made a pretty noise! Reminiscent of the "Vulcan Howl".)

15 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Fighter-sized. Single seat, I suspect, and I think shoulder-mounted wing, though I can't be sure from underneath. Looked like a dark green paint job, but the light wasn't good, so I could be wrong about that. 

vvl7vQH.png

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Air show at Nellis this weekend, could have been shipping out for that.

Looks like that air show is scheduled to have one of these on display. . .

9180159313_d3ed4e6b57_b.jpg

316.jpg

Wings aren't quite the right shape, but it does have the pylon-like bits under the wing. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilatus_PC-12

Edited by Ten Key

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Air show at Nellis this weekend, could have been shipping out for that.

http://www.nellis.af.mil/Air-SpaceExpo/

USAF Heritage Flight are listed there and they have an F-86.

DOOBNdlX0AAAoZt.jpg:large

I left out A-7 because there are none flying.  There aren't any Bucs eirther ( yet http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/buccaneer/survivor.php?id=106 ) but I hadn't decided not to add non-flying aircraft when I was adding it....

Alphajet is a suprisingly close fit.  Even has four wing pylons in the same positions.
Could one of Qinetiq's machines get that far from home?
There are Red Bull Alpha's.  They dont have pylons fitted though but the flap hinge covers are in the right places.

Edited by Kokoro
Adding twitter post and picture thingy.

Had a 50s-era kind of a look to it, and I'm pretty sure it was not anything American. Thanks for the suggestions though. 

After poking around the internet for a while, the French SEPECAT Jaguar is a possibility. I could swear that the wings were mounted farther forward than that, but it might have been the angle from which I was seeing it. Unfortunately, I was driving at the time and couldn't stop to get a really good look. 

the-sepecat-jaguar-is-an-anglo-french-je

I was seeing it from the front, where it did look a lot like this. 

raf-sepecat-anglo-french-jaguar-gr3a-jet

Edited by Vanamonde

18 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Had a 50s-era kind of a look to it, and I'm pretty sure it was not anything American. Thanks for the suggestions though. 

After poking around the internet for a while, the French SEPECAT Jaguar is a possibility. I could swear that the wings were mounted farther forward than that, but it might have been the angle from which I was seeing it. Unfortunately, I was driving at the time and couldn't stop to get a really good look. 

<snip>

I was seeing it from the front, where it did look a lot like this. 

<snippity-snip>

Are there any of those still flying?

2 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Are there any of those still flying?

No idea. :D Just saying that it looks a lot like what I saw. 

Quoth Wikipedia: "It is still in service with the Indian Air Force." Central California would be a long trip from India for an air show, but apparently somebody can still get parts to keep them flying. 

Image result for c 17 globemaster silhouetteC-17 Globemaster III

Image result for a400m silhouette A-400M

Image result for c5 galaxy silhouetteC-5 Galaxy

Image result for c 130 hercules silhouetteC-130 Hercules

vvl7vQH.pngYour sketch

TRAVIS AFB: Hosts the 60th Air Mobility Wing, which has 26 C-5s and 13 C-17s.

EDWARDS AFB: Hosts the 412th Test Wing, which has (only the notable ones) unknown amount of C-130s, and unknown amount of C-17s.

NAS Lemoore: Hosts the Pacific Strike Fighter Wing, which is mostly spread across the Pacific ocean and utilises various forms of F-18 Hornets.

I think that you either saw a C-17 (in which case you drew the engines incorrectly) or a C-130 (in which case you drew the wings incorrectly).

What's most likely? You saw a C-17 Globemaster III.

Really, judging by the bulging fuselage you drew and the wings you depicted, I believe it is a large plane and not some sort of fighter/strike aircraft.

Edited by Matuchkin