Reviving the Easter Egg questline

I decided to expand what I suggested in this thread into a full-blown suggestion. Thank @linuxgurugamer for giving me the motivation to do it!

First of all, here are a few new easter eggs, one per celestial bodies (except Kerbol). Yes, even Jool gets one, and now everything has more than just a green monolith.

-Eve: a Venera lander... in the Explodium Sea.

-Gilly: a crashed brown magic boulder

-Minmus: very faint details on the flats, that are revealed using SCANsat or KerbNet. They spell "Cruithne".

-Ike: The true, and best magic boulder is back, with a vengeance! It can also be moved, but it is even bigger than a class-E asteroid. However, it seems to have a HUGE reserve in ore. Oh, and a monolith, too.

-Dres: It has true rings now! You can't see them until you reach it however.

-Jool: a platform, suspended in the air at 10km on the equator, on which you can actually land on! And you though coming back from Eve was bad...

-Laythe: the Huygens Lander, in the Sagan sea

-Pol: the Cassini probe in orbit (first seen as an unknown object)

-Eeloo: the New horizons probe in orbit.

So, the idea is: a quest line about the various easter eggs in KSP. It starts when you get in orbit of the Mün for the first time. You will get the message:

"The on-board instruments are picking strange readings around three points near the Equator of the Mün. The readings are otherwise consistent with surrounding terrain, suggesting the anomalous data is not an artifact. We do not know the origins of these anomalies."'

The first quest (and all others) is available when both Mission Control and the Administration Building are at level 3. This will give more incentives to upgrade them, rather than just a numerical upgrade.

To complete it, you must land an analyzer (a 5-ton part) less than 5 km away from one of the arches on the Mun. You will get the message:

"Encrypted on the Arch are the coordinates of several other anomalies, all over the Kerbolar system. It seems doing certain tasks could unlock blueprints for some highly advanced rocket parts.

Then, there are three types of quests:

1) Planet quests

By completing these quests, you can unlock previously hidden science nodes, for brand new parts. There is only one of these available per planetary system, for a total of 7, and they are fairly hard. You unlock them by visiting a specific anomaly on the surface.

2) Miscellaneous anomalies quests

One of these is available for every celestial body except Kerbol, for 16 total.. It involves very random challenges such as "Entering the Mohole", "Impacting the Kraken", "Kerboldiving", and so on. By completing these, you are awarded a good amount of science and cash, more than most contracts. You unlock them by landing a crew on a body (Kerbin's mission is available as soon as you unlock quests).

3) The final quest (just like the original plan)

This quest is available once you completed all 23 others. It involves the green monoliths. What to do with them? A grand tour, no less! You have to get to all of them in the Kerbolar system. If you complete this contract, you get showered by vast amounts of money and science, and... that's right. A distant planet is revealed! Once you get there, you get a message from Wehrner (or while not even a cinematic) about what was this planet.

Oh, here are the nodes you get for finishing the! Here is the full list of new nodes, each one being unlocked at random each times. They cost 2500 to unlock.

-Hypersonic aerospace tech: 2.5m ramjet, 2.5m RAPIER, and two sizes of scramjets (no thrust at 0 m/s, but HUGE thrust increase with speed, works best at mach 6 and up to 12)

-Advanced efficient drives: 2.5m NERV, 4 sizes of 2.5m LF only tanks, a 1.25m ion drive, and a 2,5m Xenon tank.

-Ultra heavy rocketry:  4 sizes of 5m tanks, "Leviathan" cluster (bottom stage, 5 mainsails together), "Hippo" engine (high-ISP, mid-thrust), 5m decoupler, 3.75m separator

-Experimental precision engineering: A 2.5m-power radial engine (400 kN seems fair), a 1 kN engine with an ISP of 350, larger 0.625m tanks.

-Advanced solid rocket fuels: two 2.5m SRBs, and two 1.875m ones.

-High-power transmission: A new "Laser antenna". 2T power and relay, but only connects to one other laser antenna. To use it, you must have another non-laser antenna on the ship to transmit the signal to other ships/Kerbin stations. Also needs 10 charge/s

-High-power electric systems: Larger RTG, and a quad-size gigantor

So without further wait, here are the 7 planet quests! (in parentheses: what to discover to unlock the quest)

Moho: Go down 4 km into the Mohole with a crew, then get back to Kerbin (the Mohole)

Eve: Deliver a full 2,5m ore tank from Eve to Gilly, then get it back to Eve. (Crashed boulder on Gilly)

Kerbin: Land on both the Mun and Minmus with a crew, using a vessel no heavier than 30 tons. (Any of the 3 arches of the Mun)

Duna: Find the magic boulder around Ike, and land it on Duna. (The magic boulder)

Dres: Put three Dresteroids in an orbit in Dres' ring system. (Doing a close pass of the rings)

Jool: Do a Jool-V. (Vallhenge)

Eeloo: Fly-by Eeloo less than 6 months after launching the craft (New Horizons Probe)

I will soon do the individual challenges for every celestial bodies.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

10 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

I decided to expand what I suggested in this thread into a full-blown suggestion. Thank @linuxgurugamer for giving me the motivation to do it!

First of all, here are a few new easter eggs, one per celestial bodies (except Kerbol). Yes, even Jool gets one, and now everything has more than just a green monolith.

-Eve: a Venera lander... in the Explodium Sea.

-Gilly: a crashed brown magic boulder

-Minmus: very faint details on the flats, that are revealed using SCANsat or KerbNet. They spell "Cruithne".

-Ike: The true, and best magic boulder is back, with a vengeance! It can also be moved, but it is even bigger than a class-E asteroid. However, it seems to have a HUGE reserve in ore. Oh, and a monolith, too.

-Dres: It has true rings now! You can't see them until you reach it however.

-Jool: a platform, suspended in the air at 10km on the equator, on which you can actually land on! And you though coming back from Eve was bad...

-Laythe: the Huygens Lander, in the Sagan sea

-Pol: the Cassini probe in orbit (first seen as an unknown object)

-Eeloo: the New horizons probe in orbit.

So, the idea is: a quest line about the various easter eggs in KSP. It starts when you get in orbit of the Mün for the first time. You will get the message:

"The on-board instruments are picking strange readings around three points near the Equator of the Mün. The readings are otherwise consistent with surrounding terrain, suggesting the anomalous data is not an artifact. We do not know the origins of these anomalies."'

The first quest (and all others) is available when both Mission Control and the Administration Building are at level 3. This will give more incentives to upgrade them, rather than just a numerical upgrade.

To complete it, you must land an analyzer (a 5-ton part) less than 5 km away from one of the arches on the Mun. You will get the message:

"Encrypted on the Arch are the coordinates of several other anomalies, all over the Kerbolar system. It seems doing certain tasks could unlock blueprints for some highly advanced rocket parts.

Then, there are three types of quests:

1) Planet quests

By completing these quests, you can unlock previously hidden science nodes, for brand new parts. There is only one of these available per planetary system, for a total of 7, and they are fairly hard. You unlock them by visiting a specific anomaly on the surface.

2) Miscellaneous anomalies quests

One of these is available for every celestial body except Kerbol, for 16 total.. It involves very random challenges such as "Entering the Mohole", "Impacting the Kraken", "Kerboldiving", and so on. By completing these, you are awarded a good amount of science and cash, more than most contracts. You unlock them by landing a crew on a body (Kerbin's mission is available as soon as you unlock quests).

3) The final quest (just like the original plan)

This quest is available once you completed all 23 others. It involves the green monoliths. What to do with them? A grand tour, no less! You have to get to all of them in the Kerbolar system. If you complete this contract, you get showered by vast amounts of money and science, and... that's right. A distant planet is revealed! Once you get there, you get a message from Wehrner (or while not even a cinematic) about what was this planet.

Oh, here are the nodes you get for finishing the! Here is the full list of new nodes, each one being unlocked at random each times. They cost 2500 to unlock.

-Hypersonic aerospace tech: 2.5m ramjet, 2.5m RAPIER, and two sizes of scramjets (no thrust at 0 m/s, but HUGE thrust increase with speed, works best at mach 6 and up to 12)

-Advanced efficient drives: 2.5m NERV, 4 sizes of 2.5m LF only tanks, a 1.25m ion drive, and a 2,5m Xenon tank.

-Ultra heavy rocketry:  4 sizes of 5m tanks, "Leviathan" cluster (bottom stage, 5 mainsails together), "Hippo" engine (high-ISP, mid-thrust), 5m decoupler, 3.75m separator

-Experimental precision engineering: A 2.5m-power radial engine (400 kN seems fair), a 1 kN engine with an ISP of 350, larger 0.625m tanks.

-Advanced solid rocket fuels: two 2.5m SRBs, and two 1.875m ones.

-High-power transmission: A new "Laser antenna". 2T power and relay, but only connects to one other laser antenna. To use it, you must have another non-laser antenna on the ship to transmit the signal to other ships/Kerbin stations. Also needs 10 charge/s

-High-power electric systems: Larger RTG, and a quad-size gigantor

So without further wait, here are the 7 planet quests! (in parentheses: what to discover to unlock the quest)

Moho: Go down 4 km into the Mohole with a crew, then get back to Kerbin (the Mohole)

Eve: Deliver a full 2,5m ore tank from Eve to Gilly, then get it back to Eve. (Crashed boulder on Gilly)

Kerbin: Land on both the Mun and Minmus with a crew, using a vessel no heavier than 30 tons. (Any of the 3 arches of the Mun)

Duna: Find the magic boulder around Ike, and land it on Duna. (The magic boulder)

Dres: Put three Dresteroids in an orbit in Dres' ring system. (Doing a close pass of the rings)

Jool: Do a Jool-V. (Vallhenge)

Eeloo: Fly-by Eeloo less than 6 months after launching the craft (New Horizons Probe)

I will soon do the individual challenges for every celestial bodies.

I'll help with parts (SRBs and I'll add 3.125m parts)

@linuxgurugamer and @Bottle Rocketeer 500AND @MinimalMinmus

I am quite the puzzle nerd, and I was thinking about how for the original KSP narrative, the orbital parameters for a distant planet were given in pieces. Do you think we could do that with the green monoliths? I'm thinking like forum-wide hunt with SSTV signals, Vigenere ciphers, etc. ?

Could that be made into a mod?

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

4 minutes ago, JK_Kerbineer said:

@linuxgurugamer and @Bottle Rocketeer 500

I am quite the puzzle nerd, and I was thinking just like the original KSP narrative, the orbital parameters for a distant planet were given in pieces. Do you think we could do that with the green monoliths? I'm thinking like forum-wide hunt with SSTV signals, VigenereMaybe that could be the mod/ ciphers, etc. ?

While it would certainly be fun, it would be a major case of Guide, dang it! for everyone not playing KSP in a large community such as KSPF or Reddit. Hence I think doing the grand tour should unlock the planet no matter what. It could be possible to unlock it earlier if you are good enough at deciphering the clues.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

2 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

While it would certainly be fun, it would be a major case of Guide, dang it! for everyone not playing KSP in a large community such as KSPF or Reddit.

Maybe a set of notifications with clues could be put in the mod, so you could do it with the forum or not.

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

1 minute ago, JK_Kerbineer said:

Maybe a set of notifications with clues could be put in the mod, so you could do it with the forum or not.

It should be doable without any internet connection indeed, and, again, if you plan on making cryptic clues make sure the grand tour way works too because otherwise it would be hard.

Just now, MinimalMinmus said:

It should be doable without any internet connection indeed, and, again, if you plan on making cryptic clues make sure the grand tour way works too because otherwise it would be hard.

I meant that we keep the Grand Tour thing, but when you come upon a monolith, there is a notification that pops up.

cool.

this is a great idea, but i do not know how to mod ksp.

idea:3 magic boulders(brown with green cracks. spawns in orbit around jool in a ring system.two movable grey with blue cracks, one spawns in orbit around kerbol, between eve and kerbin.)

As promised, here are some of the miscellaneous quests.

Moho: Launch a mission that gets an encounter with Moho, then sundives (and reaches a distance under 500 Mm from the sun).

Eve: Get within 1 km of the sunk probe.

Gilly: reach Gilly's orbit in less than 2 seconds.

Kerbin: Fly an SSTO to orbit, and then on the Mun, with no refuel.

Mun: Fly through a mun arch at a speed over 200m/s

Minmus: Get an asteroid and put it in low orbit of Minmus.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

Round 2!

Duna: Maintain the same altitude (+/- 10m/s)with no engine running for 5 seconds on Duna.

Ike: Grapple (any) magic boulder random asteroid

N.B. as an anti-frustration feature, the 3rd visited asteroid after this quest could be forced to be a M.B.

Dres: Land a 100-ton ship on it.

Jool: Land on the platform. This also unlocks an optional quest with massive rewards: land on it, then go back to Joolian orbit.

Eeloo: Reach a land speed of 300m/s on it.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

Round 3! In fine!

Laythe: Without refuelling, Land from orbit, then get back to LLO using only RAPIER engines

Tylo: Get within 50 m of the surface, at a speed of at least 1500m/s

Vall: Get 10 objects (the type doesn't matter) within 100m of Vallhenge

Bop: Impact the dead Kraken at over 500m/s

(N.B. If successful, the dead Kraken disappears)

Pol: Put an asteroid in an equatorial LJO. No need to rename it "Kerbalthea".

On 19/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, NSEP said:

I like the idea of having a quest in KSP, it gives it more of a game feeling.

Nice work!

Well, I decided to make some kind of questline while staying mostly compatible with a sandbox game. Think Minecraft or Terraria: both of these game are wide-open sandboxes, yet they have "endings": In Minecraft, you kill the Enderdragon for the first time, and in Terraria, the Moon Lord. But each time, the adventure continues. In Minecraft, you can now explore The End, and in Terraria, defeat him again until you can craft the endgame hyper badass armors.

I tried to make something similarly open.

Oh, and my new project for this is to create mission briefings for the quests.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

So, I was also thinking about reviving something of an Easter Egg quest line independently when I saw this. I have some coding experience with KSP and so I'd be willing to do the coding for this and have actually already been doing some research on how to implement some of this stuff (@Bottle Rocketeer 500, do you mind? I don't want to step on anyone's toes). I don't have a ton of free time for coding, but by the time we come up with a polished quest line I should be able to put together what we need.

Since I was thinking about it myself for a while I have my own thoughts and opinions on the story and unlocks so I'll put those together in a PM (for the story at least - we wouldn't want it getting out beforehand :wink:). I'll include @MinimalMinmus and @Bottle Rocketeer 500. Anyone else?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.