How to view CoM and CoT in flight?

Mine_Turtle

I have 4 engines in cross formation, that allow me to change CoT to minimize vessel tendency to rotation during acceleration. However, I do not know of a way to visualize those centers in flight. I have VesselViewer installed, but it only shows center of mass. Any other method to visualize CoM and CoT in flight?

Edited by Mine_Turtle

56 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

@VanamondeHow is this a modding question? This a gameplay question:  I am looking for any method: stock or mod to help me balance my engine setup vs CoM.

Sorry I wasn't clear. There is no method in stock, but there might be a mod which does it, so it seemed you were more likely to get a helpful answer in this subforum. 

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Probably because there isnt a stock way to do it.

I would suggest looking at Throttle Controlled Avionics mod

I do not entirely agree that there is no stock way. So far, I have been using very stock method - eyeballing: observe how much pitch and yaw SAS uses during acceleration and compensate with engine thrust.

You were right about TCA though, I had the mod installed for long time but was assuming it is primarily used to flying VTOLs. As of now my station is accelerating without having problems with engine torque. Thanks for the suggestion.

I sometime put markers on my craft for CoL, just an antenna recessed almost completely into the craft at the CoL. you could do the same for CoT (several of you have multiple set CoTs).

Then for CoM it's a bit less precise but the camera focuses on the crafts CoM so by zooming in while looking directly down on the craft you can get a ruff idea where CoM is. 

5 hours ago, Mine_Turtle said:

I do not entirely agree that there is no stock way. So far, I have been using very stock method - eyeballing: observe how much pitch and yaw SAS uses during acceleration and compensate with engine thrust.

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

I sometime put markers on my craft for CoL, just an antenna recessed almost completely into the craft at the CoL. you could do the same for CoT (several of you have multiple set CoTs).

Then for CoM it's a bit less precise but the camera focuses on the crafts CoM so by zooming in while looking directly down on the craft you can get a ruff idea where CoM is. 

Both fair enough ways of doing it, but my impression was that he wanted something like the visual markers which are available in the VAB and SPH

Mechjeb can show those balls IIRC. 

EDIT: 

YES - And they also move fluently while having them activated. 

It is under Attitude Adjustement -> show COM, COT, COL and it also has Vectors for surface speed, orbital speed direction etc :)

Edited by Theysen

8 hours ago, Theysen said:

Mechjeb can show those balls IIRC. 

EDIT: 

YES - And they also move fluently while having them activated. 

It is under Attitude Adjustement -> show COM, COT, COL and it also has Vectors for surface speed, orbital speed direction etc :)

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for initially. However, as I realized TCA does the job of balancing engine thrust way better then I could hope for with a naked eye.

Edited by Mine_Turtle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.