So.......

cratercracker

Yeah, i've been walking my dog, and saw something looking like Ursa Major or something, but it was very small and was fading periodically.

I couldn't normally picture that. So i drew a sketch!

wstiz6.jpg

To me it looked like that

wstiz6.jpg

Some of the "lights" were blinking with a perioud from 1-3 seconds.

What kind of canstanstellation am i looking at.

(Russia, Moscow)

6 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

All stars look pretty much the same to the eye. The only way to identify a constellation is by knowing its location so it can be compared to other stars. Try sky maps. 

Example

The intersting part is that the stars were much dimmer than ALL the surrouning ones.

But that's probably Delphinus or Pleades.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

How small is it? Full moon sized? Is it off of Orion's shoulder with a big red star nearby? Because then it's the Pleadies.

If it's a little bigger and near a huge cross, that sounds more like Lyra.

Slightly smaller.

Does it moves when you move ? Can you see other stars (that you can confirm they're actual stars) ? Does it move when you're not moving at all ? How do they tinker ? Do they disappear hours afterwards or immediately or they never do ?

If you tell us where (Moscow), when (date and time) and the location (direction and height above horizon) then we might help.

Also, try one of the numerous online planetariums and skymaps (example: http://skymaponline.net/).

The flickering has nothing to say, it's simply movement in the atmosphere, very strong above cities naturally.

If you say "very small", here's another hint: the thumb on a stretched arm is about 1°, the fist about 10°, "hang loose" about 15°.

Edited by Green Baron

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

The flickering has nothing to say, it's simply movement in the atmosphere, very strong above cities naturally.

If you say "very small", here's another hint: the thumb on a stretched arm is about 1°, the fist about 10°, "hang loose" about 15°.

Flickering can have a lot to say. It can range from pretty steady (from dim stars - no, I mean it, dim stars don't flicker as much) to crazy quick (like, strobes. Very bright stars flicker crazily but they're also very irregular). Hence why I'm asking. With a stretch, it could be a plabe strobe.

And yes, the (angular) size matters as well...

4 hours ago, YNM said:

Does it moves when you move ? Can you see other stars (that you can confirm they're actual stars) ? Does it move when you're not moving at all ? How do they tinker ? Do they disappear hours afterwards or immediately or they never do ?

No. Yes. A bit (not sure).Well, they don't fade all together, like a Christmas lights. They disappeared at 5:35 AM.

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

No. Yes. A bit (not sure).Well, they don't fade all together, like a Christmas lights. They disappeared at 5:35 AM.

I presume you were walking outside somewhen close to late night then ? Or was it very early morning ?

I guess someone's prediction of Delphinus comes quite close, though I still wonder regarding the visibility.

25 minutes ago, YNM said:

I presume you were walking outside somewhen close to late night then ? Or was it very early morning ?

I guess someone's prediction of Delphinus comes quite close, though I still wonder regarding the visibility.

Not really. It was late evening, or just night.

2 hours ago, cratercracker said:

They disappeared at 5:35 AM.

4 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

It was late evening, or just night.

DateTime in 24h , Moscow Time, please.

If you mean that you have first seen them yesterday evening, and last seen - 05:35 today morning (moscow time), then it looks like Andromeda.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

I don't know the American time system or however it is called.

But let's say at 17:30 (day) sun sets at 7:20 sun rises.

I saw the stars at 22:30.

That's actually the universal system :wink:

Another option for you would actually be Ursa Minor. Do you see Polaris anywhere nearby ?

1 minute ago, cratercracker said:

It's definitely not the Ursa Minor, it is way way way tinier.

Was it close to the horizon ? Could you estimate their altitude upon spotting ? Or at least, did you just notice it while walking normally (eyes watching around the road), or were you staring up a bit for a moment, or did you intentionally gaze up and take everything ?

17 minutes ago, YNM said:

Was it close to the horizon ? Could you estimate their altitude upon spotting ? Or at least, did you just notice it while walking normally (eyes watching around the road), or were you staring up a bit for a moment, or did you intentionally gaze up and take everything ?

Not really. No. I noticed them staring into the night sky.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.