So.......

cratercracker

On 11/11/2017 at 12:43 AM, cratercracker said:

It's definitely not the Ursa Minor, it is way way way tinier.

On 11/11/2017 at 2:09 AM, cratercracker said:

I figured out which stars are those!

Those are partially Gemini stars and Orion!

What.

Were the skies very clear ? I don't think you can get non-main stars (ie. those not part of the main asterism) without having the main asterims as well...

Then your picture is somewhat distorted. First, as @YNM pointed out, the sky over a metropolitan area like Moscow will only show a few main stars. Second, at this time of the year all the heatings are running at night, which makes the air over the city flicker heftily (what you described). @YNM, people like us can't imagine, but the poor guys have -C degrees. Heatings run, chimneys spit out hot glimmering air, there is a mixed up bubble of air over a city like Moscow.

Orion should be low in the southern sky at that time in Moscow, leaning to the left. Have a look at Wikipedia of how it looks, you should at least be able to identify Beteigeuze (one of the few clearly red/orange stars in sky) and the blue/whitish Rigel, the girdle stars might be too faint.

There is another one nearby that, if it rises above the horizon (try to find out yourself ;-)), is easily identified, and that is Sirius. It is simply the brightest star in the sky.

Orion is not small, the distance between Beetlejuice and Rigel is a little more than the hang loose gesture.

Edited by Green Baron

4 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Then your picture is somewhat distorted. First, as @YNM pointed out, the sky over a metropolitan area like Moscow will only show a few main stars. Second, at this time of the year all the heatings are running at night, which makes the air over the city flicker heftily (what you described). @YNM, people like us can't imagine, but the poor guys have -C degrees. Heatings run, chimneys spit out hot glimmering air, there is a mixed up bubble of air over a city like Moscow.

Orion should be high in the southern sky at that time in Moscow, leaning to the left. Have a look at Wikipedia of how it looks, you should at least be able to identify Beteigeuze (one of the few clearly red/orange stars in sky) and the blue/whitish Rigel, the girdle stars might be too faint.

There is another one nearby that, if it rises above the horizon (try to find out yourself ;-)), is easily identified, and that is Sirius. It is simply the brightest star in the sky.

Orion is not small, the distance between Beetlejuice and Rigel is a little more than the hang loose gesture.

Well, i am living not in the centre of Moscow. 

I am in 0dinstsovo town, so the clow thickness is not that much like at Moscow and some of the stars are visible pretty good in the late evening and night.

I see. For your orientation:

yOOLgdZ.png

Does it look familiar ? :-)

You must project this to a sphere. Capella will be right above your head, the blue line is the horizon without any obstacles, so Orion leaning 45° to its left, Sirius very low under it, maybe blocked by trees or so.

Edited by Green Baron

05:35 (local Moscow) was mentioned as the moment in early morning when the stars became invisible in the sun light.

He observed the... thing... in 22:30 in evening.

So, I would suggest to start from 05:35, look what is nearly disappearing and scroll time back to 22:30

Edited by kerbiloid

So i took out my Iphone with a special constanstellation map programm.

I got Wi-Fi connected.

Got my geo-location aligned.

All the stuff to be sure for maximum.

And the thing is that it doesn't belong to any constranstellation, it is not even visible, i have perseus to the right from it.

None of the constanstellations even look like that.

Wot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.