EN-GB Localisation?

5 minutes ago, Oiff said:

Oddly enough many of the differences between US English and UK English are where UK English has changed over the years rather than the US English having changed.

I think that's true of rhoticity, in which it became common for Brits to imitate the most posh-sounding accents.

5 minutes ago, Oiff said:

There was however the aborted attempt to simplify US English at the start of the last century, it didn’t last very long and seemed to just create a lot of people who can’t spell.

Not so aborted, depending on which century you mean by "last"; many US conventions go back to Noah Webster:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Compendious_Dictionary_of_the_English_Language

For a like reason, as well as to purify our orthography from corruptions and restore to words their genuine spelling, we ought to reject u from honor, favor, candor, error, and others of this class. Under the Norman princes, when every effort of royal authority was exerted to crush the Saxons and obliterate their language, the Norman French was the only language of the English courts and legal proceedings, and the Latin words which, at that period, were introduced into use in England, came clothed with the French livery. At the same time, to preserve a trace of their originals, the o of the Latin honor, as well as the u of the French honeur was retained in the terminating syllable. Hence for some centuries, our language was disfigured with a class of mongrels, splendour, inferiour, superiour, authour, and the like, which are neither Latin nor French, nor calculated to exhibit the English pronunciation. Johnson, in reverence to usage, retained this vitious orthography, without regarding the palpable absurdity of inserting u in primitive words, when it must be omitted in the derivatives, superiority, inferiority and the like; for no person ever wrote superiourity, inferiourity. A sense of propriety however, has nearly triumphed over these errors; and our best writers have almost unanimously rejected the from this whole class of words, except perhaps ten or twelve. From these also Ash has very consistently rejected u, restoring the purity of the original orthography.

(I don't think I've ever seen "errour" in print.)

23 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Uh oh... this is diverging into angry politics. Can we step back for a moment and return to the original question of adding languages? Even if they happen to be variations of English?

Nah, we're all just kidding with each other. (I think?)

On topic; I think they should focus on other languages that are less compatible first. Obviously British people can manage with the current game better than Germans for example.

I mean geez, we already let you have the metric system in KSP...what more do you limey brits want?!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

21 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I mean geez, we already let you have the metric system in KSP...what more do you limey brits want?!

Exactly. This game is the only reason those terms even make sense to me. I heard someone the other day ask why we didn't just bring Casini home to study it (we're Americans, remember, so not always the brightest); to which I responded "do you know how many meters per second it would take to escape Saturn?". At which point I had to stop, because I had drawn some very strange looks.

@HebaruSan, great dig-up. It warms the heart to know it is we who carry on the King's English; attempting to rescue it from those who have sullied and stand-up guyized it. :)

No unnecessary U's!

Have you ever seen that rhyme that tries to explain why English spelling is so crazy and hodgepodge? That's a good one.

Stand-up guyized? What the hell is that? It was supposed to be "someone without a father-ized", but I guess that's not allowed.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

Hehe however much it has been ‘stand-up guyized’ I think the language has benefitted from being a hodge podge as whenever there were insufficient words to describe something more were imported :D

When you learn other languages it can be quite confusing when you can’t find a word for something only to find out that the word you are looking for does not exist.

Unless I am very much mistaken I think the US military uses metric a lot, as does NASA.

35 minutes ago, Oiff said:

Hehe however much it has been ‘stand-up guyized’ I think the language has benefitted from being a hodge podge as whenever there were insufficient words to describe something more were imported :D

Unquestionably English is exceptionally rich due to intermingling of linguistic heritages, but the cause was more sociopolitical accident than deliberate borrowing out of necessity. A prime example is the vocabulary for animals and meats; we could easily call them "pulled pig sandwiches" and "ground cow patties" (and I believe that's how some languages work) but we have the semi-redundant words "pork" and "beef" for that thanks to the collision of Old English, Old French, and Old Norse.

25 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Unquestionably English is exceptionally rich due to intermingling of linguistic heritages, but the cause was more sociopolitical accident than deliberate borrowing out of necessity. A prime example is the vocabulary for animals and meats; we could easily call them "pulled pig sandwiches" and "ground cow patties" (and I believe that's how some languages work) but we have the semi-redundant words "pork" and "beef" for that thanks to the collision of Old English, Old French, and Old Norse.

I think just about every word we have for food and warfare is French from the Normans, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I really like to point out this: USA agreed to become part of the civilized world* and use metric system in 1866 and UK did the same in 1897. Because of that customary units are defined in terms of the metric system. A yard is exactly 0.9144 , a mile is exactly 1609.344 m, a pound is exactly 453.59237... so you are just using more basic units.

Maybe you should blame the Government for that.

*as civilized as adopting an idea from French revolutionary terrorist may be...

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:
5 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Of course. We just call it being American. :)

MUR-I-CA!

It's tough being the leader of the free world, but we manage.

You can all thank us when it's convenient for you. :wink:

Following a typical Brazilian stereotype: why would I do that? The only real  difference is what is the best option of a 2nd language (as long it uses the Latin alphabet not that a big deal*). :cool:

I'd rather wait for people to thank me, for the contribution to the free word by my country, regardless the fact I personally really have not to do with it. :rolleyes: That is what we call being American, Latin American, South American...the best kind of American.:wink:

*better yet if a Latin language but we don't need that much

Edited by Spricigo

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I think ground cow patty is a more accurate description than beef burger as beef means meat whereas a lot more than just meat ends up in mince.

4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I think that's true of rhoticity, in which it became common for Brits to imitate the most posh-sounding accents.

Not so aborted, depending on which century you mean by "last"; many US conventions go back to Noah Webster:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Compendious_Dictionary_of_the_English_Language

(I don't think I've ever seen "errour" in print.)

I'm a little dubious of that source of "pollution"  ( but then it's Webster ) - anyone who's studied Chaucer will know Middle English, while just about readable by anyone who knows modern English, is *much* further adrift than just some random extra u's scattered about. It was my recollection that the "pollution" came from around when England took in a load of refugee aristocrats from the French revolution - by that time the American colony was well under way & speaking what was by then an older dialect.

"errour" would be very odd - in French it's erreur.

Edited by Van Disaster

37 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Following a typical Brazilian stereotype: why would I do that? The only real  difference is what is the best option of a 2nd language (as long it uses the Latin alphabet not that a big deal*). :cool:

I'd rather wait for people to thank me, for the contribution to the free word by my country, regardless the fact I personally really have not to do with it. :rolleyes: That is what we call being American, Latin American, South American...the best kind of American.:wink:

Wow. I hate to prove your point about Americans not paying attention to other cultures, but I've gotta be honest: I've been seeing your posts since I joined the forum, and this whole time I thought you were German. Apologies if that's offensive in any way (though I guess it's probably more stupid than offensive :)). I guess I knew English wasn't your first language and there're a lot of German dudes on here, so I put the 2 together. Come to think of it, I guess that is pretty stupid, but there ya go. It does explain a few things, though. I often wondered how you kept pretty much the same hours as me from the other side of the world. Good to know we're in the same hemisphere. If you ever find your way to Chicago, I'll send ya a pizza. And by that I mean a Chicago pizza, not that crap the rest of the world eats.

But there's still only one America, bud. :)

1 hour ago, Spricigo said:

I really like to point out this: USA agreed to become part of the civilized world* and use metric system in 1866 and UK did the same in 1897. Because of that customary units are defined in terms of the metric system. A yard is exactly 0.9144 , a mile is exactly 1609.344 m, a pound is exactly 453.59237... so you are just using more basic units.

Maybe you should blame the Government for that.

*as civilized as adopting an idea from French revolutionary terrorist may be...

Well as usual the US Government didn't keep their word then lol.

I live in America and you can rest assured we measure everything by imperial units. No one here would know how many meters a mile is. They'd know how many feet it was.

The US may use some metric measurements in theory, but not in practice. Not that I care, I have no great love for either system really. My general feelings on competing units of measurements is too small to be measured by any system lol.

47 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

*better yet if a Latin language but we don't need that much

Brazil fought along side the Allies in WW2 so yes indeed, thanks! Anyone who hates goose-stepping jack-boots is alright by us Americans!

25 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I live in America and you can rest assured we measure everything by imperial units. No one here would know how many meters a mile is. They'd know how many feet it was.

I'm not too sure how many of us would know. Growing up in the city, if you had asked me how long a mile was, I'd have said "eight blocks". :)

2 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Wow. I hate to prove your point about Americans not paying attention to other cultures, but I've gotta be honest: I've been seeing your posts since I joined the forum, and this whole time I thought you were German.

I'm descendent of Germans and Italians. That make you feel better with you supposition?

The offer of pizza, Chicago pizza, earned some points (not many because Sao Paulo pizza, mind you). 

2 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

But there's still only one America, bud. :)

You still didn't get Brazilian culture. I will just interpret it as "I'm happy to live in the same continent you live". I know is not what you mean, but that'll not stop me from pretending.

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Well as usual the US Government didn't keep their word then lol..

Wait a minute. Are you really implying that? Tell more about that idea of Governments keeping their word. But take it easy, they not marking the exact opposite is too counterintuitive.

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I live in America and you can rest assured we measure everything by imperial units. No one here would know how many meters a mile is. 

A Brazilian would quickly know at least 3 values: to sell, to buy and to the auditor.* 

*Advice to German readers: don't try to understand this. Try something simpler like quantum mechanics or neurosurgery. 

Back to the original topic...

Before this thread starts devolving into a shouting match about who did what first where and so on, here's an example that @Rocket Witch can use to make an en-gb dictionary.

https://github.com/gordonfpanam/KanadianDictionary

Turns out SwitchLanguage does indeed let someone make their own dictionaries. By itself this doesn't cover KSPedia images or in-game art, but I didn't find any English differences in the text used on the various parts. I'd just replace some of the KSPedia pages, and there's a whole other thread on how to make those.

@bewing I'm hoping this is OK as the majority of the text is Squad's original work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.