whats your RAM usage? lol

Jesusthebird

2 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

i only have 16gb Ram. with 10 of it being used on game startup. so im thinking your method may benifit me? i just dont know how to do it. Do you make the game dir a disk image that you virtually mount to play? just poking guesses now

edit: im perfectly fine with the texture quality hit on parts, would it reduce the quality of the world rendering as well?(say I use Astonomer visual pack and eve in combo?

It can help, yes.

I use ImageMagick to shrink dds, tga, and png files and mbm2png to convert mbm files to png. 
These can be used to shrink (reduce the resolution of) the image files in your gamedata folder, including the Squad ones.  There's no use of compression or disk images.
You might want to make a copy of your gamedata folder before proceeding, since the image file changes are not reversible.

Please see my post from Nov 11 in this thread, which contains more details.  It's actually pretty straightforward once you've acquired the utilities.

20 hours ago, Foozle said:

It can help, yes.

I use ImageMagick to shrink dds, tga, and png files and mbm2png to convert mbm files to png. 
These can be used to shrink (reduce the resolution of) the image files in your gamedata folder, including the Squad ones.  There's no use of compression or disk images.
You might want to make a copy of your gamedata folder before proceeding, since the image file changes are not reversible.

Please see my post from Nov 11 in this thread, which contains more details.  It's actually pretty straightforward once you've acquired the utilities.

thank you very much. sorry to get off topic a bit. Ill see how it does for me

On 11/18/2017 at 5:38 PM, Foozle said:

It can help, yes.

sorry, one last question, do you use ckan as well in conjunction with the image converting? im thinking ckan would be super confused as far as file integrity and updating?

also..is there a way to change the title of this thread? maybe just lock it instead. kinda went off topic

On 11/18/2017 at 3:41 PM, Foozle said:

I am on a mac.  The issue isn't that I don't have enough RAM-- I have 32GB.  The problem is that KSP becomes sluggish after it grows to 9GB or so regardless of how much extra RAM is available.

How did you get a Mac with 32GB? Or are you using a desktop unit?

Running on Linux 64bit KSP, I show an RSIZE of 10.3GB and a VSIZE of 19.1GB (out of 32GB RAM installed).

KSP 1.3 (not touching 1.3.1 yet, not all mods have updated and even when they do, it takes me month to validate my whole install), 18GB out of 32GB at launch (the most I've reached in play is about 26GB IIRC), about 310 mods installed at the last count (plus quite a few custom patches) for close to 7GB of Gamedata, takes about 22mn to load (on a fast system, on NVMe SSDs), up to 1mn to change scene under certain circumstances, but otherwise fluid enough, stable and with no jerkiness.

So... What did I win ?

On 11/28/2017 at 12:42 PM, EthanKerbman said:

KSP 1.3 (not touching 1.3.1 yet, not all mods have updated and even when they do, it takes me month to validate my whole install), 18GB out of 32GB at launch (the most I've reached in play is about 26GB IIRC), about 310 mods installed at the last count (plus quite a few custom patches) for close to 7GB of Gamedata, takes about 22mn to load (on a fast system, on NVMe SSDs), up to 1mn to change scene under certain circumstances, but otherwise fluid enough, stable and with no jerkiness.

So... What did I win ?

Interesting, how are the periodic garbage collection pauses during flight for you?

4 hours ago, Foozle said:

Interesting, how are the periodic garbage collection pauses during flight for you?

Fairly rare and innocuous, it was atrocious at some point but, after culling and modding a few mods, things ended up quite usable considering the monster of an installation that it is (and the number of exceptions still thrown despite my best efforts).

However it does tend to crash when missions start getting too long (depending on the vessel complexity and neighbouring vessels).

I'm not complaining, I've had much worse and with worse framerate. Lately I'm mostly on a purely aero trip, finished a whole WW1 era and going into WW2. (Relevant because that means I've not explored the whole physics since my last round of tinkering.)

I used to use a mod that supposedly tried to help with GC, but after extensive testing it and tweaking, it only made things worse for my specific case.

Edited by EthanKerbman

I track my Commit Size (True RAM allocation) and after load I usually get to the main menu with about 6.5 gb used.  By the time I play a little, it'll use about 7 gb.  However, there is a decided creep during flight that definitely shows signs of a memory leak.  I was told a while back the leak was in an old GUI interface a lot of mods use/used.  Over time, my game WILL nom ram until it actually forces the rest of my system into using page files to store.  And that starts after about 12 gb RAM usage (I have 16 gb).

This is most obvious if I have a long flight in an aircraft going (High altitude U-2 style aircraft that have 24 hours of flight endurance).  I do lots of flight survey contracts with my mods for grinding cash, so my cruise phases tend to get... LONG.  I've tried pausing and coming back to them, but as it would turn out, that just isn't a thing because the ram creep will continue while PAUSED.

Personally, I don't plan on updating again until the leak is found and plugged.  It's too much work to spend a day finding and installing everything I have, and then going in and adding/adjusting a few things (For example: I modify the atmosphere scaling of kerbin to match Earth so I can simulate altitude performance accurately.  I also utilize the experimental rotors from OLD Firespitter and have custom audio for them.  I have to manually migrate my files every time I update).

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 9:35 PM, Foozle said:

Generally between 7GB and 9.5GB, depending on what I"m doing.

I use about 200 mods, but shrinking the image file dimensions by 50% (reduces the space they use by 75%) helps a lot.

Holy balls how do you have so many mods!? Also, what do you mean by "shrinking the image file dimensions"?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic! So I did some testing...

For first set I took only Porkjet Revamp and ModuleManager. 
For second set, I took my regular mod set. Its not small:

Spoiler

AirplanePlus
AirplanePlus_Rebalance_0.8
Astrogator
AviationLights
B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
CommunityTechTree
CrewManifest
Dmagic ManeuverNode Evolved
DMagic OrbitalScience
EasyVesselSwitch
Filter Extensions
FP_DPSoundFX
Gameslinx_OceanLagFix
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
HullCameraVDS
Jahzzar KST
K2
KAS
Kerbal Alarm Clock
Kerbal Engineer Redux
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
KerboKatz/DailyFunds (value reduced to 5)
KerboKatz/DestroyAll
KIS
Kopernicus
KMX
KronalVesselViewer
KSP-AVC
MemGraph
Module Manager
NearFuture Construction
NearFuture HeatControl
NearFuture Electrical
NearFuture KerbalAtomics
NearFuture LaunchVehicles
NearFuture MarkIV SpacePlaneSystem
NearFuture Propulsion
NearFuture Solar
NearFuture Spacecraft
NearFuture Stockalike Station Parts
NRAP
OPM OuterPlanetsMod
Pilot Assistant
ProceduralFairings
RasterPropMonitor
SCANsat
SoundtrackEditor
SVT Stock Visual Terrain
TokamakIndustries
Umbra Space Industries: MKS + ExpPack + LS + WarpDrive
Ven's Stock Revamp
Waypoint Manager
[x] Science!

Patches (mine):
- patch for AirplanePlus, that reduces gyrodine weight (accepted by upstream)
- patch for Vens Stock Revamp, that corrects small girder weight
- patch for Vens Stock Revamp for USI LS, that makes some Vens habitats add to habitation
- patch for USI ExpPack and KIS, that allows small parachute to work as EVA parachutes
- patch for Procedural Fairings, that removes multi-attachment plate, that often casted kraken
- patch for HullCam VDS, that increases camera thermal ratings making possible for them to survive reentry
- patch for Dmagic OrbitalScience, that stripts all scientific parts from relay functionality
- patch for stock, that moves battery and basic AI box available sooner (published in community patches)
- patch for stock, that makes basic rear wheel as robust as basic front wheel (published in community patches)

Patches(not mine, all available in community patches thread):
- patch for stock to change deploy degree
- patch for stock that removes monopropellent from pods by default
- patch for stock, that sets drones to hibernation on time acceleration
- patch for stock, that allows to close the deployable thermal shield
- patch for stock, that makes pod lights consume EL

Total of 58 patches.

I used the same stock "Dynawing" vehicle, that I cheated into same kerbin orbit. Then I let it stay for 5 seconds, switched to same camera and tries to hold same camera angle during screenshots.

With first set game loaded in about 1 minute (fast!) and KSP 64bit process used 1.7 Gigabyte of RAM. FPS data:
tQVs6YU.png

With second set, game loaded in 6 minutes (slow!) and KSP 64bit process demanded whopping 3.3 Gigabyte of RAM. FPS data:
YSbgi57.png

The set 1 (almost stock) felt a small bit faster,  it used half the RAM and loaded much faster, but thats it.
Of course each system/environment may differ.
YMMV..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.