Most Frustrating Things in KSP

Goddess Bhavani

And the change (around 1.2) that meant you can't even flick a switch to activate an emergency battery once all other active sources of elec are exhausted...  That's an immediate "cheat rule" for me!

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, SupperRobin6394 said:

Having 25 FPS with a medium-sized vessel on an i7-6700HQ with a 4GB GPU and 16GB of RAM.

This. 

I built a $2,000 powerhouse of a PC that can run any modern game at 120 fps and 2K resolution. Yet SOMEHOW this game manages to cripple it down to 15 fps when 2 or 3 medium-sized vessels are loaded. Drives me nuts, obviously. 

Maybe it’s secretly mining bitcoin in the background or something like that? :(

KSP is still KSP, ive got alot of sandbox games..

None matches KSP for map size..able to explore planets in your own personal land train

Nothing comes close to it for me

I could rattle off a few games but theres no need

Ive got train and truck simulators.. 

Sandbox space simulators..survival games..

Ksp still is better than that

Im coming back after 5 months away almost after 1.3 killed my land trains and mods I use

Only to find yet another release version on the horizon

The disheartening feeling of a gathering storm building that will decimate mods testing the resolve of those who created them..or second and third hand caretakers that have picked up the torch

Not a nice prospect at all

But.. However long it lasts im looking forward to starting again

Personally, i don't think that there's really anything to complain about, and if there is, it can usually be fixed with a mod, like hangar size limitations and offset limitations.

But, there is one thing.

The lack of an auto-save feature.

I've lost many great projects to the game crashing while i'm saving a craft, witch will result in a corrupted craft.

So, having the game save for me at set intervals would help in eliminating this problem. I do also forget to save crafts every now and then.

Having a "just a few parts more and its don....game crashed..." is a great demoralizer.

Sure, there are work arounds (making multiple saves of a single craft), but it all feels like another version of loading Kerbals into command seats, it takes time and it's a bit annoying.

Thankfully it's only a small annoyance.

On 11/16/2017 at 12:57 AM, Overland said:

Im coming back after 5 months away almost after 1.3 killed my land trains and mods I use

Hey man, I enjoy your stuff, and I like land-training as well. I've just upgraded from 0.25 to 1.3.1. Perhaps the following fix will work? I'll try it out when I get the chance, and report back.

I dunno if it's a bug, or just my frustration, or maybe even I just don't know how to make it work right?

I have a lot of trouble using the stock radial decouplers and pylons as wing mounts for munitions.  Not that it's difficult to attach stuff; but upon release, the decoupler and/or pylon stays attached to the munition instead of the plane!  The only way I've found to get around it is to treat the munition as the main unit and then attach the pylon and plane to it.   Which is extremely frustrating!

I must just be doing something wrong...

Edited by XLjedi

"Limited probe control" even though I've turned off the setting to require connection for control :/  Have to use MechJeb to manoeuvre. Most irksome.

On 16/11/2017 at 8:57 AM, Overland said:

Only to find yet another release version on the horizon

The disheartening feeling of a gathering storm building that will decimate mods testing the resolve of those who created them..or second and third hand caretakers that have picked up the torch

I feel this one. I came back from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 and spent about 2 hours sorting mods out - after which it was time for bed. From here on, I play from a non-Steam folder. I don't care whether there is a KSP update in the meantime, I would rather just be able to know that I can walk away for a month and the game will still immediately run and work when I come back :) 

Admittedly none of this is the devs' fault, unless you count the lack of using the Steam Workshop to let people curate their mods in a sane way. Which I really wish they had done, but they are far from the worst offenders in this regard. At least the game is fundamentally moddable...

On 11/14/2017 at 2:38 AM, peteletroll said:

When you double click in map view and unset your target

There's a setting to turn that off. It's among the first things I do on a new install.

45 minutes ago, eddiew said:

"Limited probe control" even though I've turned off the setting to require connection for control

There are 2 settings. The one you changed will - if you leave it on - totally kill your probe when you have no connection. At least you have limited control!

The setting you want is on the Basic settings screen, just turn off 'Enable CommNet'. Then functionality is back to pre-1.3 days where you could do anything from anywhere.

56 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

The setting you want is on the Basic settings screen, just turn off 'Enable CommNet'. Then functionality is back to pre-1.3 days where you could do anything from anywhere.

Thanks, will investigate! I don't mind not being able to transmit science when out of range or occluded, but seriously, the player has to be able to take the place of the software that guides things like Juno into orbit while being on the back side of Jupiter... We have never installed relays at Mars or in the asteroid belt because they aren't needed.

(I guess there's an argument that I should use the biggest probe core so's to have all SAS options available, which the probe can use even while out of contact... but I like my tiny octo builds.)

Yup.

#1. Performance issues. Very detrimental to gameplay. I enjoy building large stations and motherships but they give me single digits FPS.

#2. Mod-breaking updates. I know this comes with the territory but this is the only game I ever played that breaks mods with every update, even minor.

Both unlikely to go away.

On 11/16/2017 at 3:57 AM, Overland said:

Yeah, that exactly how it feels. With every update I'm afraid my fav modders will give up.

Edited by Kerbital

On 11/13/2017 at 2:26 PM, sh1pman said:

This. 

I built a $2,000 powerhouse of a PC that can run any modern game at 120 fps and 2K resolution. Yet SOMEHOW this game manages to cripple it down to 15 fps when 2 or 3 medium-sized vessels are loaded. Drives me nuts, obviously. 

Maybe it’s secretly mining bitcoin in the background or something like that? :(

Game mods push required system specs up up up up up.  That's the biggest attraction of a stock game to me, that it actually works..

Glitches. In nearly two years, three kerbals have died of my own stupidity. Four have died (including Valentina) from 1.1.x glitches. Also, two ten-ton munar rovers have been destroyed due to wheel physics glitches after 1.1. One ended up seven kilometers above the terrain without any engines, and the other just disappeared. Good thing nobody was aboard. But the worst offender was when I designed a Martian-based Duna Ascent vehicle, and after hours of testing and construction, all I had to do was mate it to a booster, which I did and then closed the game. The next day I opened the vehicle in assembly and noticed that the staging icons were greyed out and trying to click on a part to remove it from the rocket just duplicated it. Adding a part from the menu made it the root part. Well, no problem, it's already built, I just have to launch it...

I click launch and after a minute of loading on the pad the navball says "0.00000000m/s," all of the navigation markers are on top of each other, and the rocket is tilted forty-five degrees to the horizon and surrounded by flames. The game did not want to do anything at that point. I wound up rebuilding the whole thing from scratch (the problem being an interstage faring that I thought was fine). And then later in that flight the transfer stage was torn off by random glitches, and I landed the thing on fumes. Just to clarify, all of this happened in a stock game.

Edited by Confused Scientist

29 minutes ago, peteletroll said:

@5thHorseman, I tried so hard, but couldn't find the setting...

I apologize. I saw "double click" and remembered the rest incorrectly. The setting I'm talking about is "Double Click Mouse Look" which - when enabled - basically makes PreciseNode impossible to use.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Sigh.  I'll go with performance issues.  A game that can only run a single thread for the bulk of its computing load ought to be designed so that I don't need a 4+ GHz clock speed for that single thread (with no mods that affect performance) to handle a vessel with < 100 parts when near a planet or moon.  One simple way I can see would be for the vessel to be handled as a single part after assembly, while in flight.  Yeah, it would require some cleverness to deal with different part strengths under acceleration or heat stress -- but cleverness can be run on a second thread.

I've got two computers that would have been genuine top-end machines not all that long ago (a 2.7 GHz Core2Quad -- that was a $1000 CPU before the Core i* family came out -- and a 2.9 GHz Core i7 dual core laptop CPU, that steps up to 3.4 GHz on demand), and stock KSP brings both to their knees -- even with many settings reduced.  Yep, Core i7 at 3.4 GHz gives yellow clock with < 50 parts.

So its not in KSP itself, but i have been designing a spacecraft and i just found out there is a waaay better engine i could use for it, and i might have used an incredibly outdayed engine.

To get a more clear idea of what im talking about, im writing a Sci-Fi and i wanted to design a Nuclear Transfer vehicle, and i used a 10ton engine that had an ISP of 825, and a thrust of 50kn, now, i just found a 3TON ENGINE, WITH 925 ISP AND 100KN NEWTONS OF THRUST THAT HAS BEEN TESTED BEFORE. REEEEEEEEE. Now i gotta redesign the whole thing!

On 2017/11/21 at 5:54 PM, eddiew said:

I feel this one. I came back from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 and spent about 2 hours sorting mods out - after which it was time for bed. From here on, I play from a non-Steam folder. I don't care whether there is a KSP update in the meantime, I would rather just be able to know that I can walk away for a month and the game will still immediately run and work when I come back :)

Exactly right.  Last year in about August or so, I used Steam to upgrade to 1.2.1 or so and Steam (on Linux Mint) was having conniptions.  By the time it had finished, it had deleted all my saves and Ships.  What saved my butt was that I had just recently copied my KSP universe to another computer, which effectively became the backup that saved my life.  Since then, I play out of another directory, far, far, far away from Steam's grubby paws.

So today, I thought, "OK, I will bite the bullet and upgrade to 1.3".  All the mods I want seem available and I've downloaded then.  I can't run Steam now on my Mint 18.2 system and I think it's because I installed a new Nvidia graphics card earlier this year.

Steam can't find a 32-bit libGL.so to use.  I have lib-gl1-mesa-glx:i386 installed.  It may just be out of date.

Anyway, it's a really good idea to move KSP out of Steam.  I believe that way you could maintain multiple KSP versions simultaneously (as swjr-swis does).

Edit: Happy ending and of use to other Mint 18.2 users: upgrading to the latest nvidia-384(?) reinstated my X server and permitted Steam to work again.  If you run Linux, check out Aptik for a useful utility to remember and re-install your packages (over system upgrades) or in emergencies.

Edited by Hotel26

My most annoying thing in KSP :   Parts lag. 

Most of my "BIG" crafts are around 450-750 parts.  I can bring this down to 275-400 using mods, but I lose performance still by using them (tweakscale and the one to change the fuels from almost any tank in the game for example), so it's a lose-lose situation...
IMHO having 1000 parts before getting into the first "yellow clock' would allow motherships and big stations... and would be a fine compromise as you can't get unlimited parts in the green.  I thought the 1.2 patch was going to provide at least some improvement, but sadly no. 
Got exited hen I heard unity 2017 version was just about the corner... No improvement on parts either from what I read. :(

Indirectly, no solid multi-core support is REALLY grinding my gears.  Like if you could have an 8k processor instead of an eight-core of 1k, KSP would work much better.
These 2 things could be called performance issues, but KSP runs fine on very small crafts with few vanilla-KSP parts.  So basic KSP runs rather well.
Upcoming 5m parts of version 1,4 might help some, but if you still need 16 nervas for 1K of thrust 16*60=960, that's a lot of part count down the drain.

- - - - -

Followed closely with KSP not having stock KER, EVE/SVE and OPM.  To the makes of these mods, thank you... A LOT.

I see a lot of things in this tread that I agree on.

But for me the most important is the loading time when you launch KSP, 13 minutes for 112 mods(60 normal size mods, the rest just bits and bobs). Sometimes the loading time stops me from playing at all because I don't want to wait so long to get in the game.

And the FPS, I got a good PC and this game is the worst I have FPS wise. I do build big things though :/

Edited by Jon Tash

I tried to dock yesterday a 200+ part ship to a 500+ part station and well... 3fps at best. It was just impossible to dock properly. KSP has a real problem with performance.

I have also very annoying situations when building ships in particular when I have many parts, it becomes very difficult to place the new parts where I want and making merge or use sub-assemblies can be a nightmare.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:54 AM, eddiew said:

"Limited probe control" even though I've turned off the setting to require connection for control :/  Have to use MechJeb to manoeuvre. Most irksome.

What does "limited" even mean, anyway?  What's the difference between limited control and no control?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.