asteroid belts and I want more planets (gas planets)

want planets   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Want planets or asteroids belt or none

• asteroids belt
    • new planets and moons
    • star systems
    • 5 meter parts
    • or all above :)
    • or none :(

i think there should be more than just one gas planet there should be a couple like 2 more with moons and wrings with them and on jool and some new moons maybe even a another star system or a asteroid belt a lottery asteroid belt where you have to navigate you spacecraft to get through and not hit any of them vote if you want them or not and something that would be helpful if this did get added 5 meter parts or something 

Edited by Jim123
Needed a poll pod i forget

While those ideas are mostly good (if a little unoriginal, see this thread for more infos), keep in mind, asteroid belts IRL are quite different from fiction. Notably, they are very sparse. Even moderately-sized asteroids are thousands of kms apart, and collisions are rare. A belt a la SW's Geonisis would probably be reduced to dust in little time, or it would condense into a large object.

It would be nevertheless quite cool to add some more mid-size asteroids, between Dres and the random ones.

Asteroid belt: Add two or three Gilly-ish sized asteroids near the orbit of Dres and some randomly spawning untracked asteroids there as well. That'd pretty accurately represent the Solar System's own belt. Asteroids are actually really far apart so they aren't much of a concern to spacecraft. Plus you could never get out of the way in time anyway, they'd be moving several kilometers per second relative to your spacecraft.

New Planets and Moons: I'd like to see two more gas planets. I imagine a larger gas planet than Jool (like 2x as large) with 7+ moons and untracked asteroid moons, and a third gas giant, smaller than Jool with maybe 3 moons and really far away, so that Solar Power is essentially useless. This planet could also be a 'super-earth' as was discussed back in 0.17 with massive gravity and a very thick atmosphere.

Star Systems: I think are a waste of time in this game. They're just too far away to be practical to add. Time Warp would have to be updated to have several more iterations because spacecraft would take thousands of years to reach their targets (believe me, I've done it with mods).

5 Meter Parts: Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 5m parts are being added in the Making History Expansion.

1 hour ago, RatchetinSpace said:

Asteroid belt: Add two or three Gilly-ish sized asteroids near the orbit of Dres and some randomly spawning untracked asteroids there as well. That'd pretty accurately represent the Solar System's own belt. Asteroids are actually really far apart so they aren't much of a concern to spacecraft. Plus you could never get out of the way in time anyway, they'd be moving several kilometers per second relative to your spacecraft.

New Planets and Moons: I'd like to see two more gas planets. I imagine a larger gas planet than Jool (like 2x as large) with 7+ moons and untracked asteroid moons, and a third gas giant, smaller than Jool with maybe 3 moons and really far away, so that Solar Power is essentially useless. This planet could also be a 'super-earth' as was discussed back in 0.17 with massive gravity and a very thick atmosphere.

Star Systems: I think are a waste of time in this game. They're just too far away to be practical to add. Time Warp would have to be updated to have several more iterations because spacecraft would take thousands of years to reach their targets (believe me, I've done it with mods).

5 Meter Parts: Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 5m parts are being added in the Making History Expansion.

First of all, extra planets are easy to add in. So easy, that there are many mods out there that do the trick. Try out OPM or KerbolOrigins; they have the gas-planets you want. As for asteroids, those are also easy to make (Here is one of my mods that adds in several Dwarf Planets (in future updates, asteroids too!) https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/dwarf-planets-plus, keep an eye on it for more updates). Since the community has made very good mods using Kopernicus, you'd have to give @SQUAD a very good reason in order to get these planets (which are already made in KerbolOrigins) into the game.

You appear to be going about the Interstellar business in a strange way. First, the better interstellar planet packs (KSS, for example) change the max warp rate. If you want to get to another star system, you should probably use a warp drive too (like Interstellar Extended).

On 11/11/2017 at 10:10 AM, Jim123 said:

i think there should be more than just one gas planet there should be a couple like 2 more with moons and wrings with them and on jool and some new moons maybe even a another star system or a asteroid belt a lottery asteroid belt where you have to navigate you spacecraft to get through and not hit any of them vote if you want them or not and something that would be helpful if this did get added 5 meter parts or something 

Anybody can "make" 5m parts in TweakScale.

8 hours ago, UranianBlue said:

First of all, extra planets are easy to add in. So easy, that there are many mods out there that do the trick. Try out OPM or KerbolOrigins; they have the gas-planets you want. As for asteroids, those are also easy to make (Here is one of my mods that adds in several Dwarf Planets (in future updates, asteroids too!) https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/dwarf-planets-plus, keep an eye on it for more updates). Since the community has made very good mods using Kopernicus, you'd have to give @SQUAD a very good reason in order to get these planets (which are already made in KerbolOrigins) into the game.

You appear to be going about the Interstellar business in a strange way. First, the better interstellar planet packs (KSS, for example) change the max warp rate. If you want to get to another star system, you should probably use a warp drive too (like Interstellar Extended).

I've played around with planet mods before, the problem I have with them is that kopernicus seems to bog down my KSP framerate by about 25% for some reason (even if I have no planets installed). I'd like to see extra planets supported by official code so this sort of issue can't happen. I do like some of these mods but they just impact performance too much.

With regards to my comment on extra star systems, I was assuming that a warp drive would never be added to stock KSP, therefore it would be silly to add extra star systems. If a person is hypothetically installing extra star system mods then they can/should by all means use a warp drive mod, I just decided to try it out with stock parts to see how feasible making an interstellar mission would be in the base game. It wasn't too hard to be honest, but the craft ended up being a small ion spacecraft with lots of RTGs for power and loads of Xenon fuel. Burn times were hilariously long, and the mission time took 750,000 years. I just don't think those kinds of missions have a place in the stock game, I would rather keep those to the modding community.

4 hours ago, RatchetinSpace said:

I've played around with planet mods before, the problem I have with them is that kopernicus seems to bog down my KSP framerate by about 25% for some reason (even if I have no planets installed). I'd like to see extra planets supported by official code so this sort of issue can't happen. I do like some of these mods but they just impact performance too much.

With regards to my comment on extra star systems, I was assuming that a warp drive would never be added to stock KSP, therefore it would be silly to add extra star systems. If a person is hypothetically installing extra star system mods then they can/should by all means use a warp drive mod, I just decided to try it out with stock parts to see how feasible making an interstellar mission would be in the base game. It wasn't too hard to be honest, but the craft ended up being a small ion spacecraft with lots of RTGs for power and loads of Xenon fuel. Burn times were hilariously long, and the mission time took 750,000 years. I just don't think those kinds of missions have a place in the stock game, I would rather keep those to the modding community.

The community, however, is fine with modded parts, like those given in IS Extended. In order for Squad to add in these features, they need a good reason. Right now, the majority of KSP players are happy with the mods that add in the features you desire.

Mods are your friends.

At some point a new planet with fun moons would be great but honestly the game hardly supports the planets we already have. I'd much rather see stock delta-v readouts, transfer orbit calculations and surface features on existing planets so it was easier for players to get out there and for there to be something to actually find once we did. Adding more fuel and landing any old place on a few more planets doesn't add nearly as much as making for a more robust exploration process. Once we have that we can add a planet or two.

Edited by Pthigrivi

All above plus parts up to 10 meters in size like tweakscale allows (tho at least for me tweakscale doesn't work a 100% reliably, with parts suddenly going back to their normal sizes either as soon as I launch or even later when I reload the craft in mid-mission).

Coz the bigger the tanks and rockets the less of 'em ur gonna need to haul big-S payloads through space, thus reducing the part count. Not to mention a 10 m fairing could encase half a space station or surface outpost.

On 11/13/2017 at 12:57 AM, RatchetinSpace said:

I agree with you with all of this except your criticism of star systems being implemented. There are mods to do this but for this to really work they would have to add ftl (faster than light) engines or even warp drives. This would mean that they would also have to add new materials so star systems would be useful because the large concentrations of these resources could be in a different star systems and therefore there would be a need to visit them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.