Shadowmage

[1.7.x] Textures Unlimited - PBR-Shader, Texture Set, and Model Loading API

Recommended Posts

I have an oddball question: I don't like the look of Textures Unlimited, but I like some mods that require it.  Is there a way to turn it off without uninstalling it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I have an oddball question: I don't like the look of Textures Unlimited, but I like some mods that require it.  Is there a way to turn it off without uninstalling it?

I could be wrong, but TU by itself is likely what you're looking for. Just don't install anyone's stock configs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I have an oddball question: I don't like the look of Textures Unlimited, but I like some mods that require it.  Is there a way to turn it off without uninstalling it?

The look of TexturesUnlimited is the mod.  Its entire purpose of existence is to provide access to shaders that stock KSP does not provide; shaders that can dramatically alter the visual aspects of the game.


What specific mods are you inquiring about?  There are a few mods that use TU's model-loading capability but do not leverage the shaders.  However, in those cases, if the authors aren't using the shaders, then there should be zero visual changes.

If the specific mod is using TU's shaders (and doesn't provide stock fallback options) then there is likely nothing you can do; the stock shaders simply cannot work properly with PBR texture assets.  If the mod author did provide fallbacks, then you should only need to remove the config files as @Beetlecat suggests.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

What specific mods are you inquiring about?  There are a few mods that use TU's model-loading capability but do not leverage the shaders.  However, in those cases, if the authors aren't using the shaders, then there should be zero visual changes.

The only one where I wasn't able to find a workaround is actually SSTU.  I did try without TU, but then the parts didn't exist visually.  (They existed in that I could pick them out of the list in the VAB, but I couldn't see a picture of them in the VAB, and I didn't see them if I picked on.  I didn't try interacting with one.)  This is under 1.6.1.

1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

I could be wrong, but TU by itself is likely what you're looking for. Just don't install anyone's stock configs?

I can remove a lot of the TU-specific configs from other mods, but it also changes the look of basically all the parts (including stock) if only slightly.  I get the idea of the look and it does look pretty - but they lose detail and are harder to use in the world, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The only one where I wasn't able to find a workaround is actually SSTU.

SSTU is 100% dependent on TexturesUnlimited and the PBR shaders.  I do not offer 'legacy' texture sets anymore.

In theory you could go back to the old releases, rip out all of the old legacy textures, and recreate/fix all of the texture-set definitions and patches to point to the old textures.... but it would be a monumental undertaking.  Might be easier to take one of the older releases and drop the new plugin into it, but I could not guarantee that all of the old part configs/etc are compatible with newer plugin code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/releases/tag/1.3.4.18

Mostly just a recompile and version file update, but does include some fixes to recoloring shader mixing functions.

@Shadowmage Something's up with the shader's in this release. They aren't working, at all. Tried opengl and glforce. Reverted to prior release (using the new SSTU release) and all is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

They aren't working, at all. Tried opengl and glforce.

Did you try DirectX-11 by chance?  Is what I have been using myself personally, as for some reason OpenGL mode wasn't loading consistently for me.

Thanks for the report though; I'll do some checking with OpenGL, as it should still be supported and usable.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Did you try DirectX-11 by chance?  Is what I have been using myself personally, as for some reason OpenGL mode wasn't loading consistently for me.

Thanks for the report though; I'll do some checking with OpenGL, as it should still be supported and usable.

 

Totally forgot about DX11, so used to using OpenGL. You're right, it's working fine in DX11. Thanks for the quick reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

Totally forgot about DX11, so used to using OpenGL. You're right, it's working fine in DX11. Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks for the confirmation that it does work with DX11 at least; thought perhaps I was going crazy...   I'll def. do some testing on OpenGL though, and will update with info when I find out.

....Was wondering why my shader bundles were so much smaller...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update/recompile OTW with fixes to the missing OpenGL Compatibility on Windows.  Apparently my instance of Unity Editor had somehow reset its 'Player Settings' and removed my customized shader/graphics API target lists.  Recompiling the bundles now (with proper target lists), and will repack and upload as soon as I can verify they are all working.  Few hours perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, 

 

What is BlendshapeModelLoader and TexturesUnlimitedFX, I have not seen those in previous releases... and the lines on the runway GLOW white.

I'll remove then and reload.

Edited by TheKurgan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

Hello, 

 

What is BlendshapeModelLoader and TexturesUnlimitedFX, I have not seen those in previous releases... and the lines on the runway GLOW white.

I'll remove then and reload.

LoL, ooops :)   those are WIP/testing mods, that get compiled with TU (but that I forgot to remove from the package).

Fixing the package now, and will re-upload shortly.  So if you have 'bloom' enabled in your game, please remove TU/TUFX and redownload/re-install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, Shadowmage said:

LoL, ooops :)   those are WIP/testing mods, that get compiled with TU (but that I forgot to remove from the package).

Fixing the package now, and will re-upload shortly.  So if you have 'bloom' enabled in your game, please remove TU/TUFX and redownload/re-install.

I seem to be getting an access violation whenever I force run GLcore, investigating it further, will tell you what happens if it turns out to be Textures Unlimited.

Edit: It's not TU. Turns out, it's not any mods. My KSP just doesn't like force GLcore for some reason. 

Edited by GoldForest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, Nvidia is causing the issue. nvoglv64.dll is causing the access violation. Sorry to bother you Shadowmage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I seem to be getting an access violation whenever I force run GLcore, investigating it further, will tell you what happens if it turns out to be Textures Unlimited.

Edit: It's not TU. Turns out, it's not any mods. My KSP just doesn't like force GLcore for some reason. 

 

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Welp, Nvidia is causing the issue. nvoglv64.dll is causing the access violation. Sorry to bother you Shadowmage.

Thanks for the report, and self investigation :)

I'm actually a bit curious if you manage to find a solution to this issue, as I'm seemingly impacted by something similar.  When starting KSP in OpenGL, about half the time it will crash when going from main menu->load game to the space center view, with what appears to be an access violation / low level crash (no crash reporter/etc, KSP window just disappears).  Would not surprise me at all to learn there is something up with the Nvidia drivers (as I'm also using Nvidia at the moment), or even something specific in recent versions of KSP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

When starting KSP in OpenGL, about half the time it will crash when going from main menu->load game to the space center view, with what appears to be an access violation / low level crash (no crash reporter/etc, KSP window just disappears).  Would not surprise me at all to learn there is something up with the Nvidia drivers (as I'm also using Nvidia at the moment), or even something specific in recent versions of KSP.

I also use Nvidia and this happens to me more often now than it used to. I've now abandoned OpenGL in favor of DX11 using Electorocuter's fix for stock textures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

 

Thanks for the report, and self investigation :)

I'm actually a bit curious if you manage to find a solution to this issue, as I'm seemingly impacted by something similar.  When starting KSP in OpenGL, about half the time it will crash when going from main menu->load game to the space center view, with what appears to be an access violation / low level crash (no crash reporter/etc, KSP window just disappears).  Would not surprise me at all to learn there is something up with the Nvidia drivers (as I'm also using Nvidia at the moment), or even something specific in recent versions of KSP.

 

7 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

I also use Nvidia and this happens to me more often now than it used to. I've now abandoned OpenGL in favor of DX11 using Electorocuter's fix for stock textures.

I have not found a fix. Also, it seems Squad has completely abandoned opengl. 

 

It's funny, my laptop crashes, but my desktop doesn't.

 

And no, I have not found a fix. Guess I'll just force dx11. Or maybe 12. I heard unity has dx12 support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I have not found a fix. Also, it seems Squad has completely abandoned opengl.

Pretty much, at least on the Windows side.  Neither do they support DX11/DX12 though.  I could even dig up some official comments from SQUAD staff on the subject, basically stating that DX9 is the only supported graphics API on Windows.

With that said, I've had generally good results using DX11 with TexturesUnlimited.  There were some part-icon issues (blue models in part list), but I believe TU is patching those parts now to fix the problems.  Aside from that I can't think of any issues I've encountered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Pretty much, at least on the Windows side.  Neither do they support DX11/DX12 though.  I could even dig up some official comments from SQUAD staff on the subject, basically stating that DX9 is the only supported graphics API on Windows.

With that said, I've had generally good results using DX11 with TexturesUnlimited.  There were some part-icon issues (blue models in part list), but I believe TU is patching those parts now to fix the problems.  Aside from that I can't think of any issues I've encountered.

I seem to get framerates issues with dx11 though, that's why I'm thinking about using dx12.

 

Also, lol at 3rd person talk.

Edited by GoldForest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

 

I'm sorry, but how does this fix my nividia driver problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

I'm sorry, but how does this fix my nividia driver problem? 

I thought you were talking about textures, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

I thought you were talking about textures, sorry.

No problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.