[1.9.x] Textures Unlimited - PBR-Shader, Texture Set, and Model Loading API

Shadowmage

I just downloaded Texture Unlimited for the first time, and i'm a bit lost.

Where can I find configs for this mod ?

Note that i play heavily modded, and if possible, i'd like to get some parts supported.

I tried Magpie's config and it doesn't work the way intended (most parts are very dark). Is it a TU or Config issue ?

Thanks !

On 9/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, Iguas said:

I just downloaded Texture Unlimited for the first time, and i'm a bit lost.

Where can I find configs for this mod ?

Note that i play heavily modded, and if possible, i'd like to get some parts supported.

I tried Magpie's config and it doesn't work the way intended (most parts are very dark). Is it a TU or Config issue ?

Thanks !

Magpie mods applies its settings indiscriminantly, even to plumes and engine glows, the mod itself is a bit borked; I spent the same amount of time fixing it as I would have spent making model configs from scratch. The reason they're meh is because it took the list of every model the game loads and gave them a generic config, and there's no real consistency with what parts are metal and what parts aren't. On top of that they're pretty out of date :/

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 6:15 AM, Bellabong said:

Yeah, for Titan and Centaur you'd have to download the git version of the mod - the reason Titan and Centaur aren't included in the gif is because I'll be making changes that could potentially break crafts. The Atlas is fully integrated with the liveries from NIC and the configs of Agena/Titan integrate with the Delta Blue BDBNIC textures (if they're present, they incorporated into the TU texture switch menu, Atlas liveries don't require BDBNIC).

The reason the Titan isn't in the zip yet is because I want to cut down its file size - all of its recolours could be represented by recolouring masks instead of having an entire set of metallic textures for each livery. Planning to have some fun with that and the Centaur this weekend :)

And how do I download a git version? 

Edit: 

Well its just on the GitHub now, but I've experienced this with the titan. Only the lower stage and anything attached to that seems affected. 

cGrcAAY.png

Edited by SpaceFace545

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I am trying to understand something. On the latest KSP release I have both TU and Kerbalism installed. I noticed there are side effects and about 6 parts of Kerbalism are automatically colored with a metallic shader. The detailed logs are:

[LOG 13:26:59.387] Loading shader icon replacement data for: SSTU/PBR/Masked :: SSTU/MaskedIcon
[LOG 13:26:59.388] Loading shader icon replacement data for: SSTU/Masked :: SSTU/MaskedIcon
[LOG 13:26:59.388] Loading shader icon replacement data for: SSTU/SolarShader :: SSTU/MaskedIcon
[LOG 13:26:59.388] Loading shader icon replacement data for: TU/Legacy :: TU/Icon/Legacy
[LOG 13:26:59.388] Loading shader icon replacement data for: TU/Metallic :: TU/Icon/Metallic
[LOG 13:26:59.388] Loading shader icon replacement data for: TU/Specular :: KSP/ScreenSpaceMaskSpecular
[LOG 13:26:59.390] Loading shader icon replacement data for: TU/Transparent/Legacy :: TU/Icon/Legacy
[LOG 13:26:59.390] Loading shader icon replacement data for: TU/Transparent/Metallic :: TU/Icon/Metallic
[LOG 13:26:59.390] Loading shader icon replacement data for: TU/Transparent/Specular :: TU/Icon/Specular
[LOG 13:26:59.390] Loading shader icon replacement data for: SSTU/PBR/Metallic :: TU/Icon/Metallic
[LOG 13:26:59.401] TextureSet: Kerbalism_Metal did not have definition for mode (create/update).  Using default value of: update.  This may not function as desired, and may need to be corrected in the configuration file.
[LOG 13:26:59.402] TexturesUnlimited -- Replacing textures on database model: KerbalismConfig/Parts/ChemicalPlant/ChemicalPlant
[LOG 13:26:59.403] enabling TSMD..KerbalismConfig/Parts/ChemicalPlant/ChemicalPlant (UnityEngine.Transform) updateMode: True
[LOG 13:26:59.404] Replacing empty textureslot: _MainTex with color: 0,0,0,255
[LOG 13:26:59.404] Replacing empty textureslot: _BumpMap with color: 128, 128, 128, 128
[LOG 13:26:59.404] Replacing empty textureslot: _Emissive with color: 0,0,0,0
[LOG 13:26:59.405] Replacing empty textureslot: _MetallicGlossMap with color: 255,255,255,255
[LOG 13:26:59.407] Updated material properties

Can you explain what is exactly happening with the TextureSet and TexturesUnlimited. Where would Kerbalism_Metal come from?

4 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Where would Kerbalism_Metal come from?

It is supplied with Kerbalism.

Edit: I will add, if you are thinking of creating recolour sets you can proceed without concern. Setting up recolour will override the KSP_MODEL_SHADER config.

Edited by Manwith Noname

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I tried updating my configs from... two years ago, to work with KSP versions that are newer than 1.6.1.
And I've noticed that since 1.8.1, all models that do not have a _BumpMap defined have some rather funky shading applied to them.

Applying a normal map from another part fixes it, so it's definitely the normals. I'll get a screenshot of that later, any ideas in the meantime?

On 11/1/2021 at 3:35 AM, Delay said:

Okay, so I tried updating my configs from... two years ago, to work with KSP versions that are newer than 1.6.1.
And I've noticed that since 1.8.1, all models that do not have a _BumpMap defined have some rather funky shading applied to them.

Applying a normal map from another part fixes it, so it's definitely the normals. I'll get a screenshot of that later, any ideas in the meantime?

I'm going to guess that something with the functions shadow used to try to compensate for the mass chaos that is KSP bump/normal maps affects materials with a null _BumpMap so instead of being set to "bump" default within the shader (RGBA: 0.5,0.5,1,0.5), it instead gets set to blank black or white. Unfortunately, no attempt was made to consolidate or standardize KSP's shaders, so it's mish-mash of customized shaders on different objects depending on when they were made. @Shadowmage made a config option called textureColor so you can use/assign that in any that are missing, but I forget the syntax and it's not in the wiki.

Guess:

MATERIAL {
	textureColor = _BumpMap, (0.5,0.5,1.0)
}

Edited by Electrocutor

2 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

@Shadowmage made a config option called textureColor so you can use/assign that in any that are missing, but I forget the syntax and it's not in the wiki.

Unfortunately, that didn't work.
I also tried working around the issue by actually making a default normal map and referencing it, but that didn't work either.

Also, here's the screenshot I had promised yesterday. The cockpits are both correct as they have a bump map, but the same cannot be said for the tanks.
oOnlvky.png

4 hours ago, Delay said:

Unfortunately, that didn't work.
I also tried working around the issue by actually making a default normal map and referencing it, but that didn't work either.

Also, here's the screenshot I had promised yesterday. The cockpits are both correct as they have a bump map, but the same cannot be said for the tanks.

That's usually what TU would look like if you forgot to enable reflections. Please, verify that and also use DebugStuff to verify that all these parts are using TU to render.

[Edit]
It seems that Sarbian reverted to a much older version of DebugStuff that no longer has any model, material, or shader info... the mesh names are still present though.

Edited by Electrocutor

7 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

That's usually what TU would look like if you forgot to enable reflections. Please, verify that and also use DebugStuff to verify that all these parts are using TU to render.

I can verify that reflections are enabled (and working) and I can at least say that DebugStuff shows KSPTextureSwitch in the list for affected parts.

3 hours ago, Delay said:

I can verify that reflections are enabled (and working) and I can at least say that DebugStuff shows KSPTextureSwitch in the list for affected parts.

Please, post your config in a spoiler tag so I can see what's up. I tested with the mk2 tanks and none even needed me to specify a _BumpMap to show correctly.

32 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

I tested with the mk2 tanks and none even needed me to specify a _BumpMap to show correctly.

Well, the mk2 parts have specular maps defined, so I'm going to use two wings instead:

Spoiler
KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AirplaneFins
	MATERIAL
	{
		shader = TU/Metallic
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.38
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.275
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.15, 1.15, 1.15
		}
		texture = _MainTex, Squad/Parts/Aero/airplaneFins/AirplaneFins
	}
}

@PART[CanardController|tailfin]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		textureSet = AirplaneFins
	}
}

"Standard Canard" and "Tail Fin" in the partlist.

I'm worried that there is one minor thing I forgot and I've only wasted your time. Sorry if that's the case.

2 hours ago, Delay said:

Well, the mk2 parts have specular maps defined, so I'm going to use two wings instead:

Hide contents

"Standard Canard" and "Tail Fin" in the partlist.

I'm worried that there is one minor thing I forgot and I've only wasted your time. Sorry if that's the case.

Okay, doing a couple tests I think I figured out what's up. Also, my suggestion of setting textureColor works perfectly fine.

MATERIAL {
	shader = TU/Metallic
	float = _Metal, 0.38
	float = _Smoothness, 0.275
	color = _Color, 1.15, 1.15, 1.15
	inheritTexture = _MainTex
}

This does not set the BumpMap. It looks like one of the parts ends up with a null BumpMap, while the other has a black BumpMap (why they act differently, I don't know). The null one will get set to Unity's "bump" by default in the shader, whereas the black one will just royally screw up the light direction.

MATERIAL {
	shader = TU/Metallic
	float = _Metal, 0.38
	float = _Smoothness, 0.275
	color = _Color, 1.15, 1.15, 1.15
	inheritTexture = _MainTex
	textureColor = _BumpMap, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0, 0.5
}

This one sets the BumpMap to the default flat, the same as Unity's "bump" and works fine for both.

As a side note, you only need to use KSPTextureSwitch if you provide multiple choices and want a selection; otherwise you should use KSP_MODEL_SHADER.

2 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

Okay, doing a couple tests I think I figured out what's up. Also, my suggestion of setting textureColor works perfectly fine.

Yeah, textureColor as RGBA works like a charm! Thanks!

Also, has inheritTexture been in TU all this time? That's not in the documentation as far as I've seen, would've been nice to know a bit earlier. I assume this also works with PartVariants having different models?

16 minutes ago, Delay said:

Yeah, textureColor as RGBA works like a charm! Thanks!

Also, has inheritTexture been in TU all this time? That's not in the documentation as far as I've seen, would've been nice to know a bit earlier. I assume this also works with PartVariants having different models?

If you combine a KSPTextureSwitch and stock PartVariant, I'm not sure which texture it will cache using inherit, you'd have to test.

He added PartVariant support, but only got to alpha testing before it frustrated him, so it's a use-at-your-own-risk kind of thing.

MODULE {
	name = ModulePartVariant
	VARIANT {
		EXTRA_INFO {
			textureSet = xxx
		}
	}
}

MODULE {
	name = TUPartVariant
}

inheritFloat and inheritColor have also been there

Edited by Electrocutor

I have found two more problems, one very minor, but I'd like to talk about it anyways (example patch below).
Several parts with PartVariants (but not all of them) show up in the partslist in the SPH/VAB as pitch black, but they work and look fine in-game, so this isn't too concerning.

What is a bit more concerning, however, is this:
9QcVktu.png

I mean, that looks hilarious, but that's a bit too engine (texture)-rich, even for KSP!

All of these five parts use one single material (They are Ven's / Kerbas' revamped size 1 engines). For some reason, the Terrier and the Nerv use the main texture of the model for their particles. There are also other engines that show this behavior with their diffuse maps being used for particles, such as the aerospike. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any pattern to predict broken parts, so I cannot provide much of a direction here.

I've run into this kind of issue before, where textures were applied even though the meshes should be disregarded. But (1.) that never happened with particles and (2.) if that was the case here, you would expect the Swivel and Reliant to be affected as well.

Here are the important parts of the patches:

Spoiler
KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = LVs
	MATERIAL
	{
		shader = TU/Metallic
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.7
		}
		excludeMesh = fairing
		excludeMesh = fairingL
		excludeMesh = fairingR
		excludeMesh = Size2A
		excludeMesh = Size2B
		texture = _MainTex, VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/JebEngines_CLR
		texture = _Emissive, VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/JebEngines_LUM
		textureColor = _BumpMap, 0.5, 0.5, 1.0, 0.5
		texture = _MetallicGlossMap, TexturesUnlimited_VSR/Textures/Engines/LVs_SPC
		texture = _AOMap, TexturesUnlimited_VSR/Textures/Engines/LVs_SPC
	}
	//Fairing material
	{
	}
	//(Ven's part variants add shrouds to the engines. Different engines use different shrouds)
	//ShroudA material
	{
		mesh = Size2A
	}
	//ShroudB material
	{
		mesh = Size2B
	}
	//since only one of the above meshes is ever used per part (or not at all), I reckon this should be no problem
}

@PART[liquidEngine3]:FOR[TU_VSR]:NEEDS[VenStockRevamp]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		textureSet = LVs
	}
}

@PART[VenLV909b|liquidEngine3_v2|nuclearEngine]:FOR[TU_VSR]:NEEDS[VenStockRevamp] //These parts are affected...
{
	@MODULE[ModulePartVariants]
	{
		@VARIANT,*
		{
			EXTRA_INFO
			{
				textureSet = LVs
			}
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = TUPartVariant
	}
}

//Reliant:
@PART[liquidEngine|liquidEngine_v2]:FOR[TU_VSR]:NEEDS[VenStockRevamp]		//...but the following two are not.
{										//They are only patched separately because I needed to
	@MODEL									//replace their models with ones of older VSR releases,
	{									//otherwise they would be completely black with TU.
		@model = TexturesUnlimited_VSR/Fixes/LVT30
	}
	{
		@VARIANT,*
		{
			EXTRA_INFO
			{
				textureSet = LVs
			}
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = TUPartVariant
	}
}

//Swivel:
@PART[liquidEngine2|liquidEngine2_v2]:FOR[TU_VSR]:NEEDS[VenStockRevamp]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = TexturesUnlimited_VSR/Fixes/LVT45
	}
	{
		@VARIANT,*
		{
			EXTRA_INFO
			{
				textureSet = LVs
			}
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = TUPartVariant
	}
}

Incidentally, the size 1 engines are amongst those with first problem, too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 5:44 PM, Delay said:

I have found two more problems, one very minor, but I'd like to talk about it anyways (example patch below).
Several parts with PartVariants (but not all of them) show up in the partslist in the SPH/VAB as pitch black, but they work and look fine in-game, so this isn't too concerning.

What is a bit more concerning, however, is this:

I mean, that looks hilarious, but that's a bit too engine (texture)-rich, even for KSP!

All of these five parts use one single material (They are Ven's / Kerbas' revamped size 1 engines). For some reason, the Terrier and the Nerv use the main texture of the model for their particles. There are also other engines that show this behavior with their diffuse maps being used for particles, such as the aerospike. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any pattern to predict broken parts, so I cannot provide much of a direction here.

I've run into this kind of issue before, where textures were applied even though the meshes should be disregarded. But (1.) that never happened with particles and (2.) if that was the case here, you would expect the Swivel and Reliant to be affected as well.

Here are the important parts of the patches:

Incidentally, the size 1 engines are amongst those with first problem, too.

Firstly, remember that I said the PartVariant integration only got to an alpha release, so the mileage may vary. Secondly, it looks like you are trying to have all variants use the TU shader: the proper way to do that is to set the model itself to use TU via KSP_MODEL_SHADER instead of messing with whatever PartModules. The normal ModulePartVariants can change shader properties on the TU shader just fine, it just can't set the shader to TU, so if you set the shader via the model, the rest can be done using stock variants. This is also how you ensure TU plays nicely with other variant modules like B9PartSwitch and others.

KSP_MODEL_SHADER {
	name = path/model
	MATERIAL {
		// mesh= or excludeMesh=
		shader = TU/Metallic
		keyword = TU_STOCK_SPEC
	}
}

Edited by Electrocutor

2 minutes ago, ksp player said:

Even though I installed it, it doesn't look shiny, or reflects anything. I also installed it on CKAN.

That is because you need configs. TU only provides the framework for PBR shading to work, but it doesn't affect any part by itself.

4 minutes ago, ksp player said:

What configs?

Configs are basically separate files that tell TU what to do to each part. You can make them yourself, but some are already provided by other people.

I'll assume that you do not use any mods affecting stock parts? Like VenStockRevamp or ReStock? Then the Textures Unlimited Recolor Depot might be what you're looking for.

7 hours ago, Delay said:

I'll assume that you do not use any mods affecting stock parts? Like VenStockRevamp or ReStock?

No, no, I don't use those mods. But what configs do I use?

I have no experience at making configs at all.

Edit: I figured it out, it was just my settings.

Edited by ksp player

Is it possible to preset/change the default values of BloomIntensity, BloomRad etc. of TexturesUnlimitedFX?

Edit:

On 2/19/2019 at 4:10 AM, Shadowmage said:

LoL, ooops :)   those are WIP/testing mods, that get compiled with TU (but that I forgot to remove from the package).

Is this still a thing? That would mean those mods are in the packade by accident?

Edited by Gordon Dry

Hi guys, I recently installed this mod and noticed some small artifacts. Can you please tell me how to fix this? When moving the camera away from the rocket, sometimes some modules become covered with dark pimples. I guess it's about normal maps, right? Also the same texture appears on some types of tanks. I hope you can help me)