[1.9.x] Textures Unlimited - PBR-Shader, Texture Set, and Model Loading API

Shadowmage

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, DerGolgo said:

The only indication I can find as to how I got them is the folder creation date. All are from the 12th, this month.
I swear, I can't even remember ever installing them. Must have just zipped by, thought "Ooooh, shiny!", installed them, and then forgot all about it. The files themselves have no indication of authors in them.

The folder names are:
TexturesUnlimited_KRE
TexturesUnlimited_NearFutureSolar
TexturesUnlimited_ProceduralFairings
TexturesUnlimited_TundraExploration

I've just searched for all four in Add-On Releases. Literally the only result is a comment by @Mecripp, here:

No clue whether he is at all involved in the creation of the patch or is just another user (though a happier one than I, it appears).

Sorry been out of KSP for sometime but do check at times those where just some quick and dirty patches I made that may target more then just that mod sorry if it made problems

Is the default config offered through CKAN ever going to be updated to include the bits it doesn't seem to include, like cockpits?

I like the shiny metallic parts, but there is little point if half the parts are metallic and half the parts are not.....

11 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Is the default config offered through CKAN ever going to be updated to include the bits it doesn't seem to include, like cockpits?

I like the shiny metallic parts, but there is little point if half the parts are metallic and half the parts are not.....

By default, this mod does nothing.  It is an API that -others- can make use of.  So, no; I will not be updating CKAN with any configs (because there are none there currently)....

Any configs that you currently have/use are provided by a third party.  I can do nothing about how complete/incomplete they are.  Your best bet would be find the author of your configs, and ask -them- to finish them.

6 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

By default, this mod does nothing.  It is an API that -others- can make use of.  So, no; I will not be updating CKAN with any configs (because there are none there currently)....

Any configs that you currently have/use are provided by a third party.  I can do nothing about how complete/incomplete they are.  Your best bet would be find the author of your configs, and ask -them- to finish them.

Got it....

There is a default confg offered through CKAN. I believe I found the author on the Internet before....not sure.

Oh well wish there was a way to make all the parts reflective and look like they are made out of aluminum or something....the best I had was half of them which is silly.

I guess I'll just go back to all the parts looking like white plastic....

56 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Got it....

There is a default confg offered through CKAN. I believe I found the author on the Internet before....not sure.

Oh well wish there was a way to make all the parts reflective and look like they are made out of aluminum or something....the best I had was half of them which is silly.

I guess I'll just go back to all the parts looking like white plastic....

Have you tried Electrocuter’s patch linked in the 1st post?

14 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Have you tried Electrocuter’s patch linked in the 1st post?

13 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Check the topics from Electrocutor and Manwithnoname. They write TU configs for different mods.

Ok...I might at some point. If you use CKAN the one I was using was an "Unofficial Textures Unlimited config." Which I believe covered a majority of the stock parts....

Like I said the problem is I use A LOT of part packs...

I mean parts are really one of my favorite things about the game. So many people have sooooo many interesting part mods. I try to limit it to the ones I REALLY need or want....but there are just too many to choose from....it's hard.

I do also have a bit of a hoarding problem in RL.

Not like I should be on a TV show about it because I have junk piled to the ceiling and you can't get around....but I have a hard time in general throwing some stuff out.

Edited by JoE Smash

8 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Ok...I might at some point. If you use CKAN the one I was using was an "Unofficial Textures Unlimited config." Which I believe covered a majority of the stock parts....

Like I said the proble is I use A LOT of part packs...

I mean parts are really one of my favorite things about the game. So many people have sooooo many interesting part mods. I try to limit it to the ones I REALLY need or want....but there are just too many to choose from....it's hard.

I do also have a bit of a hoarding problem in RL.

Not like I should be on a TV show about it because I have junk piled to the ceiling and you can't get around....but I have a hard time in general throwing some stuff out.

Well, if you want to have your cake and eat it too, you might consider baking your own.

If you want to make everything shiny, then that is really easy. If you only want some sections of a part shiny, then you need to dive in some more. But CKAN is not the place to get TU or SSTU, as they are not officialy supported there. Maybe a modmaker sent something to CKAN, but that would be his responsibility to maintain.

If you are running 1.3.1 I have some patch files for stock and modes like NearFuture. They were taken down by Electrocutor for some reason.

54 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

If you want to make everything shiny, then that is really easy. If you only want some sections of a part shiny, then you need to dive in some more. But CKAN is not the place to get TU or SSTU, as they are not officialy supported there. Maybe a modmaker sent something to CKAN, but that would be his responsibility to maintain.

If you are running 1.3.1 I have some patch files for stock and modes like NearFuture. They were taken down by Electrocutor for some reason.

Yeah I'm not trying to do anything complicated. I just figured the parts are made of metal typically so they should look like it....yeah?

I do use all the near future stuff....well most of it. Construction, solar, electric, propulsion, launch vehicles....

I also use a lot of stuff by Linuxgurugamer, Tomahawk industries, refurbished parts, recycled parts. Mk2 and Mk3 stock expansion parts, OPT Spaceplanes, legacy and reconfig by JadeOfMaar. Deep Sky Core and Thor Tech. Shadowworks for the Orion cockpits.....I have A LOT of parts.

I'm using 1.4.3 still though.

My big hold up on upgrading is no longer Kopernicus, it's Kerbal Konstructs and Kerbin Side. The guy who maintains Kerbal Konstructs was on vacation for three weeks apparently when 1.4.4 came out so he was unable to work on fixing it....and now 1.4.5 is out. Not sure if/when he's going to get it updated. His last response that I read didn't sound very promising as far as figuring out how to update it so it works with 1.4.4 or 1.4.5....

3 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

They were taken down by Electrocutor for some reason.

Taken down due to a polite request from Nertea asking as much.

^^^ is the reason I will not release any configs myself.  As I don't use stock parts, they would all be for mods; most of those mods being the NF suite.  So its kind of non-starter, as I respect Nertea's wishes regarding his works (and those of other mod authors who have expressed similar).

Rubbish. Why does KSPI still mod Nertea's NFE and NFP parts to behave differently, or any LS or similar mod for that matter? That is more invasive than adding optional shinies by a handful of bling-lovers. It's okay to mod the stock game, and for other mods to change his parts, but not for a mod to add shinies??? Seriously? Better ask every LS mod not to include patches anymore, or even your optional patches to convert his parts into SSTUVolumeContainers (that is pure blasphemy then!!!!).

I love Nertea, but he needs to lighten up on this, or be consistent and also ask other modders not to touch his parts. I get that you will not release patches to shiny up other mods, the effort to keep those up to date would be another frustrating time-sink.

Ugh, it's 3:30am and no energy for bovine defecations.

See several posts down where Nertea responds to this.

My apologies, Nertea.

Edited by Jimbodiah

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 5:33 PM, Electrocutor said:

For convenience:

• opengl and d3d9 suffer from micro-stutter and performance issues
  • d3d11 and d3d12 have a broken icon shader (fixed via mod)
  • any but d3d9 in Windows has a part icon offset bug
  • all in Linux have a part icon offset bug
  • d3d9, d3d11, and d3d12 render the local+scaledspace cubemap incorrectly. (This was only an issue with d3d9 in 1.3.1)
  • d3d11 is mildly unstable, but the highest performance
  • d3d12 is heavily unstable
  • glcore has no known issues except the part icon offset bug

I'll note that Unity has only maintained d3d9 support (which is the only officially supported api on Windows for KSP) as a legacy backward compatibility up until the version that Squad/PrivateDivision used in v1.4. Newer versions of Unity have completely removed even legacy support for d3d9.

Hi there,

as I can't seem to find the shader download to fix the icons under D3D11, can some helpful soul please repost the download link?

Thanks in advance!

On 8/10/2018 at 2:57 PM, alexus said:

How I can make the  PBR - Reflective and semi-reflective like on screnshots?

I installed this mod but it is nothing changed.

It just provides an interface for other mods to hook into.  Doesn't do anything to any parts by itself.  You need something that configures it.

hello, thanks for this mod, the reflections look stunning and it really takes things to the next level aesthetically. i am trying to learn if it is possible to apply the metal shader to stock fairings. i am using the porkjet config found in electrocutors thread and fairings are not affected by the shader. any help will be greatly appreciated.

45 minutes ago, beaucoupzero said:

hello, thanks for this mod, the reflections look stunning and it really takes things to the next level aesthetically. i am trying to learn if it is possible to apply the metal shader to stock fairings. i am using the porkjet config found in electrocutors thread and fairings are not affected by the shader. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yes; of a sort... It is a special PartModule for the fairings, and they cannot be applied in the same 'model-shader' method as the other parts due to the nature of the fairings.

https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/blob/master/Plugin/SSTUTools/KSPShaderTools/Module/KSPFairingShader.cs

Add the KSPFairingShader part-module to the parts.  Specify the global KSP_TEXTURE_SET in the module-configs' 'textureSet = XXX' parameter.  It does not support texture switching or anything aside from simple texture replacement.

16 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Yes; of a sort... It is a special PartModule for the fairings, and they cannot be applied in the same 'model-shader' method as the other parts due to the nature of the fairings.

https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/blob/master/Plugin/SSTUTools/KSPShaderTools/Module/KSPFairingShader.cs

Add the KSPFairingShader part-module to the parts.  Specify the global KSP_TEXTURE_SET in the module-configs' 'textureSet = XXX' parameter.  It does not support texture switching or anything aside from simple texture replacement.

thank you so much for your answer!i have to admit i am completely lost and i have no idea what to do with this. could  you please give me some more hints as to how to install this ? i am not a coder : ) many thanks!!!!!

1 hour ago, beaucoupzero said:

thank you so much for your answer!i have to admit i am completely lost and i have no idea what to do with this. could  you please give me some more hints as to how to install this ? i am not a coder : ) many thanks!!!!!

I run this so I can see what it will look like before doing a lot of work doing by part this will add it to all parts 

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]
{
	%enabled = true
	%interval = 1
}

@PART[*]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = AllDefaultMetal
		textureSet = AllDefault
		textureSet = AllDefaultDull
		textureSet = AllDefaultMetal
		textureSet = AllMetal
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AllDefault
	title = Default
	recolorable = false
	MATERIAL
	{
		shader = SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped
		excludeMesh = flag
		excludeMesh = FLAG
		excludeMesh = flagTransform
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AllDefaultDull
	title = Dull
	recolorable = false
	MATERIAL
	{
		excludeMesh = flag
		excludeMesh = FLAG
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.2
		}
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AllDefaultMetal
	title = Default Metal
	recolorable = false
	MATERIAL
	{
		excludeMesh = flag
		excludeMesh = FLAG
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.75,1.75,1.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}

}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AllMetal
	title = Metal
	recolorable = false
	TEXTURE
	{
		shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic
		excludeMesh = flag
		excludeMesh = FLAG
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.75,1.75,1.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.75
		}
	}
}

32 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

I run this so I can see what it will look like before doing a lot of work doing by part this will add it to all parts 

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]
{
	%enabled = true
	%interval = 1
}

@PART[*]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = AllDefaultMetal
		textureSet = AllDefault
		textureSet = AllDefaultDull
		textureSet = AllDefaultMetal
		textureSet = AllMetal
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AllDefault
	title = Default
	recolorable = false
	MATERIAL
	{
		excludeMesh = flag
		excludeMesh = FLAG
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AllDefaultDull
	title = Dull
	recolorable = false
	MATERIAL
	{
		excludeMesh = flag
		excludeMesh = FLAG
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.2
		}
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AllDefaultMetal
	title = Default Metal
	recolorable = false
	MATERIAL
	{
		excludeMesh = flag
		excludeMesh = FLAG
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.75,1.75,1.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}

}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET
{
	name = AllMetal
	title = Metal
	recolorable = false
	TEXTURE
	{
		shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic
		excludeMesh = flag
		excludeMesh = FLAG
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.75,1.75,1.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.75
		}
	}
}

hey thanks, but it only works in the vab/sph, inflight it does not affect the fairings, just the base.

On 7/31/2018 at 3:27 PM, Shadowmage said:

^^^ is the reason I will not release any configs myself.  As I don't use stock parts, they would all be for mods; most of those mods being the NF suite.  So its kind of non-starter, as I respect Nertea's wishes regarding his works (and those of other mod authors who have expressed similar).

Hey I was just notified about this. I don't believe I ever made such a statement - I just asked him to:

1. Centralize all his config works in his thread and not my threads, and take on support related to that
  2. Stop asking me to make changes to my models to support his method of patching because it was getting fairly annoying

I have no stake whatsoever in whether someone patches my things as long as it's not invasive. I would rather they do it properly and build correct metallicity maps instead of using the specular channels though.

18 hours ago, Nertea said:

Hey I was just notified about this. I don't believe I ever made such a statement - I just asked him to:

1. Centralize all his config works in his thread and not my threads, and take on support related to that
  2. Stop asking me to make changes to my models to support his method of patching because it was getting fairly annoying

I have no stake whatsoever in whether someone patches my things as long as it's not invasive. I would rather they do it properly and build correct metallicity maps instead of using the specular channels though.

Apologies for dragging you into this, and for apparently posting what amounted to rumor;  I did not intend to attribute statements to you that you did not make.  I fully agree with your two posted points, and would expect those to be followed at the minimum if someone was working on a mod-of-a-mod.  To do any less is simply rude and inconsiderate.

I would also agree that in order to get the best effect out of any potential conversion for PBR shaders, one really does need to author new textures for at least the metallic maps (specular can often be converted into smooth/roughness decently enough).  I applaud the work that has done into the patch-only TU conversion sets, but they do leave a lot of room for improvement regarding the use of metallic maps.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:31 AM, beaucoupzero said:

Doesn't require any 'coding' knowledge; simply knowledge of basic KSP config-file modding using ModuleManager.

I don't really have time to go into more detail than that -- if you need tutorials on how to use ModuleManager, those are readily available from multiple sources (google for 'KSP ModuleManager Guide').  Once you are to that point, the examples posted by others should give you enough information to create the patch you are looking for.