[1.9.x] Textures Unlimited - PBR-Shader, Texture Set, and Model Loading API

Shadowmage

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/releases/tag/1.4.7.21

Simple recompile for KSP 1.7, no other changes.

On 4/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, Tonas1997 said:

Which version should I get for 1.3.1 KSP?

Honestly, I'm not sure;  I don't keep track of previous KSP version compatibility.  However, each of the releases contains a .version file so that might be your best option.  Likely the 1.0.x releases would be in that time range.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:17 PM, Shadowmage said:

Updated release is available:

https://github.com/shadowmage45/TexturesUnlimited/releases/tag/1.4.7.21

Simple recompile for KSP 1.7, no other changes.

Honestly, I'm not sure;  I don't keep track of previous KSP version compatibility.  However, each of the releases contains a .version file so that might be your best option.  Likely the 1.0.x releases would be in that time range.

Got it! Apparently it was already installed (version 1.0.0.8). However, the metallic shaders seem to be absent; the SSTUShaders.cfg files only has the following:

KSP_SHADER_BUNDLE
{
	name = SSTUShaders
	universal = 000_TexturesUnlimited/Shaders/sstushaders-universal.ssf
}
KSP_SHADER_DATA
{
	name = SSTU/PBR/Masked
	shader = SSTU/PBR/Masked
	iconShader = SSTU/MaskedIcon
}
KSP_SHADER_DATA
{
	name = SSTU/Masked
	shader = SSTU/Masked
}
KSP_SHADER_DATA
{
	name = SSTU/SolarShader
	shader = SSTU/SolarShader
}

Was that shader addded later? If so, do you know whether or not later releases would work with KSP 1.3.1?

7 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

Was that shader addded later?

Yes, it was added in the ~KSP1.5 era I believe.

7 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

If so, do you know whether or not later releases would work with KSP 1.3.1?

Not likely.  There were breaking changes in the KSP API between 1.3 and 1.4 that will prevent many mods from being backwards compatible.  You can always give it a try, but there are no guarantees that it will work (it shouldn't break anything else, would likely just fail to load).

I've been trying to use TexturesUnlimited to port WindowShine to 1.7 and despite my best efforts, I'm having a really difficult time figuring out a process by which to do this. I initially assumed that each command pod had a mesh for the windows that I could just add a reflection to, but I think this was wrong, and that I somehow need to do this myself. I'm thinking that the reason it hasn't been done already is just that its a lot of busywork, but I've got plenty of time and really want to see this mod in 1.7, so if anyone could enlighten me with any help I would really appreciate it. I have very little experience with this type of stuff but I think I'm getting close to figuring it out.

Also, I've been having a minor issue where when TU is installed, all my parts are greyed out (like when you try to place a radially attached part as your root) in the VAB/SPH. I can still use them just fine, but its a bit annoying. If anyone knows of a fix to this, I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance :D

-Chickene

1 hour ago, ChickenNugget said:

I've been trying to use TexturesUnlimited to port WindowShine to 1.7 and despite my best efforts, I'm having a really difficult time figuring out a process by which to do this.

Essentially the process should go:

• Determine which mesh(es) in the pod correspond to the windows.
  • Patch those meshes to use a PBR shader -- the specific parameters will depend on the shader chosen, and the desired look (metal or non-metal reflections)
  • In cases where the window mesh is not separate from the rest of the pod, a custom specular/gloss and or metallic mask will be needed (depending on what shader you are using)

Really, that should be it.  I think the problem that you are hitting is in point #3 -- many stock parts are not intended for this sort of patching, so will have to make custom masks, which takes time and effort.

Which particular parts are you having issues with?

1 hour ago, ChickenNugget said:

Also, I've been having a minor issue where when TU is installed, all my parts are greyed out (like when you try to place a radially attached part as your root) in the VAB/SPH.

Pics/screenshots?  This isn't something that I'm familiar with seeing, or have heard any previous reports regarding.

2 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Essentially the process should go:

• Determine which mesh(es) in the pod correspond to the windows.
  • Patch those meshes to use a PBR shader -- the specific parameters will depend on the shader chosen, and the desired look (metal or non-metal reflections)
  • In cases where the window mesh is not separate from the rest of the pod, a custom specular/gloss and or metallic mask will be needed (depending on what shader you are using)

Really, that should be it.  I think the problem that you are hitting is in point #3 -- many stock parts are not intended for this sort of patching, so will have to make custom masks, which takes time and effort.

Which particular parts are you having issues with?

Pics/screenshots?  This isn't something that I'm familiar with seeing, or have heard any previous reports regarding.

Thanks so much for the response! I couldn't find "window" meshes for any part really. How would I go about making/using my own? So far I've been using preexisting TU cfgs as templates since I don't fully understand them yet. Can I make a mask that will act the same as any other part mesh?

Also, heres a screenshot of the issue:

https://imgur.com/a/WGTgzDg

My apologies for asking this perhaps stupid question but I haven't been playing KSP for over months and I have lost track on which mods I should still use and which I better delete. 

Currently I have both Textures Unlimited and TextureReplacerReplaced installed. But from my understanding these two mods do basically the same (though Textures Unlimited has more advanced options?). Is there still any point in keeping TextureReplacerReplaced installed? I also have AstronomersVisualPack, EVE, Kopernicus, KSPRC and VenStockRevamp installed. Any of those mods that have become obsolete/incompatible with the current release (1.7)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Is there a basic stock config floating around somewhere that only affects solar panels and foil textures? I tried the stock config on CKAN but that seems to make a lot of tanks and command modules very glossy which causes them to not match most of the other modded parts I have.

15 hours ago, simtom said:

My apologies for asking this perhaps stupid question but I haven't been playing KSP for over months and I have lost track on which mods I should still use and which I better delete. 

Currently I have both Textures Unlimited and TextureReplacerReplaced installed. But from my understanding these two mods do basically the same (though Textures Unlimited has more advanced options?). Is there still any point in keeping TextureReplacerReplaced installed? I also have AstronomersVisualPack, EVE, Kopernicus, KSPRC and VenStockRevamp installed. Any of those mods that have become obsolete/incompatible with the current release (1.7)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

TU and TextureReplacer are not the same nor similar. TU is a pbr shader with config capabilities (there is no implementation without other mods using it (like SSTU)); TextureReplacer is a 'put named textures into a folder and it replaces them' and a 'randomize my kerbal heads and suits'.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117090-wip17x-sstulabs-low-part-count-solutions-orbiters-landers-lifters-dev-thread-11-18-18/

13 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

sorry to bother but I have a slight problem... in some pods the windows are completely opaque in the IVA how do I fix this?

If the original shader was a transparency shader, you should either exclude it or use the TU transparent shader instead of the opaque one.

11 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

If you're not the one who setup TU on the part, you should let the person who did know about it.

If you are the one... just change the name of the shader to the transparent one.

honestly I was also looking at how gorgeous these shaders look and I think they should be included as a base feature to the game to aesthetically catch up to simple-rockets... and that honestly EVERYONE should use these shaders (as well as a recolor tool to edit specular, metalic and color properties)

7 minutes ago, COL.R.Neville said:

is there something simple that would cause the effects to show up in the editor but not in the flight scene? 

If for some reason you have the TU reflections disabled, and the stock 'real time' reflections disabled as well, that would be the outcome.  The editor uses a stock 'prebaked' reflection map, whereas flight-scenes use real-time reflection rendering.

If you post a link to a copy of your KSP.log file, that will contain some debug/output that will denote if you have the TU reflections enabled in the TU config files.

Spoiler

[LOG 12:12:16.534] TU-Reflection Manager - Loading reflection configuration: 
REFLECTION_CONFIG
{
    name = default
    enabled = true
    resolution = 128
    interval = 60
    faces = 1
    exportDebugCubes = false
    eveInstalled = true
}

[LOG 12:12:16.535] TU-Reflection Manager - Alternate Render Enabled (DX9/DX11 Fix): False

i double checked all my switchology and have reflections set to every frame in the ksp settings and in texture replacer the realtime visor and parts  is checked. 

so I restarted and used the -force-d3d11 switch and its working in both the editor and flight scene but not in opengl.

the switch is -force-opengl right?

or is it -force-glcore?

its not doing the effects in the flight scene when i use the -force-opengl. 

im also getting this

[ERR 15:40:01.365] Material doesn't have a texture property '_BumpMap'

but im pretty sure this one is on me being an idiot hehe. probably misspelling something.

thanks for the help by the way. kinda new at this part but enjoying how much better everything looks. 

Just now, COL.R.Neville said:

i double checked all my switchology and have reflections set to every frame in the ksp settings and in texture replacer the realtime visor and parts  is checked. 

TextureReplacer has been known (at least in the past) to conflict with the TU reflection system.  Might be worth investigations to remove that mod and see if the problem persists.  I'm not aware of any solution to get them to play nicely, but identifying the issue is the first step in the process either way.

4 minutes ago, COL.R.Neville said:

so I restarted and used the -force-d3d11 switch and its working in both the editor and flight scene but not in opengl.

Interesting....

I personally use '-force-d3d11' in my setups for both development and testing, but openGL should be supported and fully functional as well.  For OpenGL the '-force-glcore' option is what should be used, as that activates the more modern 'OpenGL-Core' API (as opposed to the legacy APIs), and is the only option for Linux/Mac users.

5 minutes ago, COL.R.Neville said:

[ERR 15:40:01.365] Material doesn't have a texture property '_BumpMap'

I would have to see more of the log (to know _which_ texture/material is generating the error), but I'm pretty sure that is a stock error/Unity error.

Basically something is trying to use a normal map texture on a material/shader that doesn't support normal maps.  What, why, where?  Need more context from the log to know.  However that specific error shouldn't cause any other issues in gameplay; only that single part/mesh/material would be impacted by the error.

okay thanks I think im headed in the right direction now. 

ill test out the -force-glcore instead of the opengl. 

yeah i wish there was more in the logs about which material was causing that error but thats all there is.

but i did find a misspelling in a path for a texture so that what was probably causing that one.

ill see here in an hour or so after it finishes loading hehe.