[1.3.1-1.6.1] Kanadian Dictionary 1.0.7a [01 APR 2019]

Gordon Fecyk

Kanadian Dictionary for the Canadian Grammar Pedant

KanadianDictionary.png 

License: CC-BY-SA-4.0 by-sa.png  (yes it's a 'license' even in en-ca) Download: GitHub SpaceDock Requires: SwitchLanguage

Born from a request for en-gb localization, I came up with an example of how to roll your own. I always wanted to do this since KSP 1.3.0 was announced.

This is a Canadian English localization dictionary for KSP 1.3 and later, a very simple example of how to alter the default US English dictionary for local English variations. Perhaps it can make a certain physics instructor in Winnipeg consider introducing KSP to their class, without angering their neighbouring English instructor that insists a 'meter' is a measuring device and a 'metre' is a unit of length. Go figure.

It requires the KSP Community Localization Project's SwitchLanguage plugin. Multiple thanks to the project for enabling this without me needing to install Visual Studio.

I searched through the default en-us dictionary and made sure all of the stock strings were accounted for. If something odd appears, I'd like to know.

This covers text strings only, and there are no KSPedia page replacements. There are, however, some additional treats in the package: Kanadian flags and kerbalized Canadian agencies.

Add-ons that don't have en-ca text should default to the en-us dictionary. Tested against Ferram Aerospace Research, Kerbal Engineer Redux, Kopernicus, EVE, Scatterer, Stock Visual Enhancements, Stock Visual Terrain, RealPlume Stock, a bunch of DMagic's mods, and others I forget currently.

Known problems:

• Some non-stock text will display as "#kdnLOC_xxxxxx" the first time you open them. Stock text seems unaffected. Workaround is to exit and restart KSP. If that alone doesn't work, you may need to add Module Manager and try restarting KSP again. This seems to be 'fixed' in v1.0.1 but en-us strings are being selected for these for some reason.
  • Text strings introduced for Kanadian agencies will display en-us versions instead of en-ca versions. I've yet to pin down the cause, but to make en-ca versions show you might need to add Module Manager and restart KSP once or twice.

Change log:

Spoiler
  • 1.0.7a Beauty update, eh?
  • 1.0.7 KSP 1.6.1 Update
    • Needed several new strings for KSP 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 to accommodate the delta-v text.
  • 1.0.6 KSP 1.5.1 Update
    • Needed several new strings for KSP 1.5.0 and 1.5.1. Removed CA versions of C7 and other agency backstories after Squad canonized new ones.
  • 1.0.5 KSP 1.4.5 Update
    • Needed several new strings for KSP 1.4.5
  • 1.0.4 KSP 1.4.3 Update
    • Needed six new strings for KSP 1.4.3
  • 1.0.3 KSP 1.4.2 Update
    • Needed one new string for KSP 1.4.2
    • Corrected some missing spaces in some strings to fix contract completion messages
  • 1.0.2 KSP 1.4 Update
    • Added KSP 1.4 strings
    • Proofread and corrected a few strings
    • Added another agency
  • 1.0.1 Bug fix
    • New strings for Kanadian agencies given en-us counterparts
    • For these strings they apparently always load en-us versions
  • 1.0.0 First general release
    • Replaces ^2 and ^3 with superscripted versions
    • Fixed punctuation with respect to quotes
    • Added backstories for C7, Maxo, Kerbal Motion, Periapsis and Goliath
    • Fixed missing agency strings for some Kanadian agencies
  • 0.1.2pre Corrects broken characters by using UTF-8 text format
  • 0.1.1pre Added missing strings
  • 0.1.0pre First pre-release

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
General release for KSP 1.6.1

4 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

@SamBelanger Would you consider drafting a fr-ca dictionary? I think there's a fr-fr draft in the Community Localization Project you can use as a base, and then use QC specifics.

I'm trying :wink:

(will be a suggestion for ksp because I have too many mods!)

Edited by SamBelanger

Bugfix release 1.0.1 posted to GitHub.

I'm stuck on an odd problem. For text strings that aren't part of stock KSP, I apparently need to include en-us versions of them or they won't show up at all, instead showing the #kanLOC_xxxxxx tag for them. Adding Module Manager can help work around this somehow, but in an otherwise pure stock game the en-ca strings are being ignored entirely.

You can identify this problem with the back story for The Rick Kerman Report; the en-ca version uses the word 'humour' and the en-us version uses 'humor.'

Any ideas as to what's going wrong here?

• 3 months later...

Tentative update posted to GitHub repository for KSP 1.4.1. Added several new strings and corrected several others to match the new formatting used in KSP 1.4.0. I won't do a release until others have taken a look.

Apparently, SwitchLanguage v0.6 sort-of works in KSP 1.4.1. Some strings still aren't being replaced, or maybe I edited the wrong ones. Notably, I tried to replace the "doughnut" tank description with a "donut" one and failed to do so; yes Canadians spell this, "donut."

All you'd need to do is replace dictionary_en-ca.cfg with the new version to try it out.

Updated release for KSP 1.4 and 1.4.1 now available from GitHub Repository and from SpaceDock.

I have a spreadsheet that should make future additions simpler, so if I buy the Making History DLC I should be able to support it as well.

• 1 month later...

Kanadian Tire agency is what got me. You should honestly add a kerbalised Tim Horton's into your list if that's another thing this mod does.

The next step will be to make it blatantly, stupidly stereotypical. As many "eh" jokes as possible, and all the hockey+maple syrup+whatever. Make our country proud.

Edited by Matuchkin

Well since there is already a Canadian invasion on this thread, I'll add myself into it too.

Also, what? This has been in existence since November???  So ashamed I missed this!

Going to try this out (not 'oot'.  I am one of those Kanadians that doesn't say oot and aboot) :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.