Why are people against mods?

Goddess Bhavani

13 minutes ago, DualDesertEagle said:

Seriously, everyone complaining about other ppl using mods has to quit their whining! If u guys like to play stock, FINE! We don't! Deal with it! It's still a single player game after all! It's just like cheating in the old GTA games! Who the hell cares if I use the RSJABBER and FISHFLAP cheats in GTA2? It doesn't interfere with anyone else's gameplay, so quit ur nagging and enjoy ur own game the way u like it! 

Ah yes You are right

57 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Why I assumed sarcasm.  You did use "master race" and "peasants."  Anyway, not a big deal.  I just feel like this is one of the more upstanding forums on the internet.  That is all.

That wasn't me, it was @Gaarst who said that.

About a month into my experience of KSP, I introduced a few friends to the game and in a matter of days one of them had discovered the mod scene and downloaded several huge parts packs. When pictures of modded parts started showing up the screenshots he was sending me of his progess, I was very critical of him for using mods to achieve those things. The reasoning behind this roughly breaks down to:

• parts packs were not balance-audited by the dev team but by the modder
  • any given mod part could have 'magical' unrealistic properties
  • every mod part that filled a niche in the stock game made the stock game easier, because achieving the same thing without that part would be harder/more costly
  • I had been enjoying the rivalry of oneupmanship in the achievements we shared by sending screenshots, but with mods there was no parity of effort

As a consequence, I steered well clear of all mods for a long time, and didn't really come to the table until I saw how beautiful the game could look with EVE, which led me to science packs, inflatable parts, surface base packs, and functional mods like KIS/KAS. I still tend to avoid 'pure' parts packs - B9 Aerospace, for example, is well outside my comfort zone, because I feel like it would a) bloat my parts list, which already gets damn unweildy with the mods I do like, and b) it would make the game easier, and it would feel like I was cheating myself.

As far as my friend/others in general go these days, y'all can do what you like. I play stock sometimes and modded other times, depending mostly how patient I'm feeling. Mods can be a curse as much as a blessing. But a lot of that reasoning above still stands up - if you use a mod and I don't, we're not playing the same game anymore. What one person achieves with their mods is not comparable to what another achieves without them.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

Look, I have played KSP completely stock before, and it isn't as hard as people make it out to be. For DV/TWR calculations, just copy your rocket's info into a calculator and you can do that easily, although I have to say that is way more tedious than using KER or something like that. As for Mechjeb, I can understand that if flying a rocket gets tedious, or you just want to be really precise with something, or you just can't fly a rocket well and just need a little bit of help as long as you can build a vehicle capable of its intended mission. And part mods, Kopernicus mods, realism mods, are all things to make the game fresher

The only way I can see people saying that, is if they believe that we should play what Squad made for us to play.

Fire

It is realy interesting way how this Diskussion is enveloping... But somehow i need to drip ine more pence in again.

SQUAD is migrated to T2... and i think it give a additional statement. T2 works on many modable games and i think SQUAD intends to specify "modes are welcome". KSP is a great game in vanilla but like every game it have a status where you have to say. Stop till now we can go but every step farther will kill our rentability we have to eat something too.

And thete is the point where the modes go a step farther. You will have better optics? Here is a mode. You like the MK2 design? Here is a modder who share yoir feelings.

To say a game have to be played only in programmed way is as false as to say only moded version as developers didn't do that by them selfes.

And as we seen it sometimes the ideas brought by modders come in stockgame too? Like ore? CommSat? Better wheels? Have we to erase all this additions because firstly they came throigh modes?

As i see it it is not a fight but a synergie? And how far i go and how many details i personaly miss and try to include through modes is my personal decission!

And we will be purely true, if i will cheat i only need to press Alt+F12. For cheating i don't really need any modes?

I don't have a problem with other people using mods. I personally don't like to use parts mods because I want to try and engineer my way around problems with stock but that's all personal taste. KSP is a single player game so it ultimately doesn't matter what other people modify their game with.

Personally, I think mods are great. That said, I've been playing stock recently (with the exception of MechJeb and a module manager plugin that removes the need of the dedicated MechJeb part) for ease of sharing craft files and to avoid "mod creep". When I get beyond basic information mods, it's a slippery slope of "just one more mod...". Especially now that KSP is 64-bit and I have 16GB of RAM so there really isn't an upper limit. Pretty soon I find myself spending more time searching for new mods to add and finding ways to get them to play nice with each other than actually playing the game.

I have nothing against mods or people who play with them. Mods add awesome things to the game and I'm very glad they exist. Many times though I want to build something I could (potentially at least) easily share with others. Or I just want to actually play the game rather than spending several days (weeks?) getting that perfect modded copy of KSP working how I want.

I don't use part mods cause I like the challenge of doing things stock. It makes things a bit more difficult and thus satisfying when you actually do it. I do use a crapload of no-part mods cause they add ease of life things, like more detailed information and extra abilities for craft making.

I personally don't care if you do use mods, but mods that are unrealistically unbalanced or used for that purpose don't appeal to me. Also, mods make it harder to share craft.

I've done everything I need to in the stock game, don't care for it anymore, find no joy in it. It's boring after, what, five years now, almost? Mods add that extra detail that the base game lacks, all those crunchy numbers it's afraid of. Yeah, I can calculate delta-V by hand, sure. I can make bone-stock speisplains and shuttles, who cares? I don't care one whit whether someone can "relate" to my gameplay or can't bother to "talk shop" because they think I'm using OP parts or some other dumb reasoning. I manage to discuss concepts in the game on these forums with a diverse playerbase just fine. Am I playing a different game than stock? Damn straight I am, and I'm going further on better engines carrying meaningful cargo that keeps my people alive and having much more fun than if I had left the game unmodded.

Anyone who gives you guff about playing modded needs to check their own insecurities.

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hmmm.  I wonder what these people who don’t like mod would say about the 225 mods I’m currently playing with?

You ruined the game, man, you RUINED IT.

Just like all the other people who've installed and created mods in and for a game that literally caters to modding.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:10 AM, carmenara said:

Anyone can shed light on why this kind of attitude exists on an "Official" KSP channel?

For the same reason other people have the same attitude towards stock installs: they think they know better.

This is the internet my friend and you'll find all sorts of people, including this particular kind.

Playing stock provides a leveled playing field so a player's accomplishments can seem to mean something when compared to another player's.  When playing modded, comparisons (and competitions) start becoming pointless without extra work to level the playing field again.

My $0.02 anyway, I'm usually content competing with the game and myself, so stock or mods don't matter much

KSP would be only a shell of what it is, if it was not modding friendly.

I would have stopped playing long ago were it not for mods.... not so many part mods... but they are creeping in there... the Kerbal Planetary Base systems mod (I can build bases just fine with stock parts as well, but KPBS looks nicer)... then the atomic age pack... then some of my own custom mods... TAC LS which comes with its own parts... and so on.

Not every mod makes things easier/cuts corners around creativity. Some just reduce partcount which can be sorely needed, and others serve functions that are absent in stock... like life support.

I resisted mods for a long time because I wanted to experience the game the way the developers created it.  But after calculating the delta-v of my spacecraft, or the delta-v of a maneuver, or the phase angle for a ejection burn, for about the 100th time, it got really old.  OK, so I can do it, but I don't have to keep doing the same boring thing just because I can.  I finally broke down and installed KER.  Then after becoming frustrated with fine tuning my maneuver nodes, I installed Precise Node.  And after reading about KAC, I installed it.  I soon realized that this stuff really should be stock; it just make the game more of a pleasure to play.  Eventually I started adding a few part packs, though I still find myself using the stock parts the vast majority of the time.  But it's nice to have that extra engine when my requirement falls somewhere between what's available in stock.  I don't think that makes the game easier, it's just filling in some gaps in the stock parts.  One thing I hadn't been able to try was visual enhancements due to limitations in my computer, but recent upgrades to my RAM and graphics card has changed that.  I'm now trying out things like EVE and Scatterer.  There are also other nice effects that really enhance the game.  So while I'm now using mods, I don't go overboard with it.  I only like to install mods that I use frequently, or that significantly enhance the experience.  My most heavily modded install is using about 40 mods.

Edited by OhioBob

Heck, 80% of my science comes from mod parts. The stock science just doesn't cut it.

Personally, if one likes a stock game, GREAT! If one likes mod parts, AWESOME!

Like others have said, it's a one-player game. Stop getting your undergarments in a knot.

Besides, if one wants to share craft, use KerbalX, and the damn thing tells everybody what mods you have used. Your choice to get the mods or pass over the craft file.

WHAT THE HECK IS CONFUSING ABOUT THAT!?

Any easier and you all might as well be a bucket with a hole in it. 

Quit your griping about mods/no mods. Play the flapping game already.

/Dad rant off.

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hmmm.  I wonder what these people who don’t like mod would say about the 225 mods I’m currently playing with?

Don't forget the millions you provide/rerelease...

We found the ultimate evil for the haters.

Long live Sat.... ehmmm... linuxgurugamer:cool:

Go this way my friend.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.