Horizon Aeronautics - Development Thread

stubbles

horizon.png

horizon1.jpg

Horizon's introductory project is a 2m, low orbit payload delivery vehicle based on the Zenit-3SLB "Land Launch" rocket system.

Upon project completion, further expansion on the Zenit-3SLB system will be made to increase travel distance as well as include a Munar landing module, among other things.

WORK IN PROGRESS:

- Energia rocket system

- Heavy Payload Assist Solid Rocket Boosters (Zenit-3SLB)

COMPLETED ADDONS:

- Zenit-3SLB lifter

DOWNLOADS:

horizon62.jpg

Spaceport Download

-= ZENIT-3SLB LAND LAUNCH [v1.2] =-

Mirror 1

requires 7zip to open archive

Mirror 2

regular winzip archive

Notes on the Zenit: It's been configured for heavier loads, between 10-15 tons (maybe a smidge heavier as well) and delivering them to high geo-synchronous orbit. The included VAB file has a basic Mk2 pod in the payload bay. The entire system is VASTLY overpowered if you're lifting simply small things like satellites or pods, however. So bear that in mind. It's been tested for compatibility with FAR, KW, MechJeb and DeadlyReEntry. The included VAB file requires heavy KW struts, so if you do not have KW installed, you will have to re-strut the rocket in order for it to be stable!

Edited by stubbles

Looks like a worthy project. Now, you just have to start work on the SeaLaunch platform when you're done with the rocket so we can float out onto the sea and launch there. (BTW, the CARTS plugin and MuMech would make this possible for "mounting" the rocket and having it rotate into launch position)

Looks like I have some reading up to do ;)

Didn't know any of that was possible to be honest. Hooray for plugin developers. I'll probably just get the whole rocket completed first, then worry about the sea platform later.

Another quick update with a collage, showing the stages so far. I got everything blocked out except the payload satellite. Meshes are not final of course and I'll be leaving more detailing for the normal map. The configs are also working, but need some tweaking for sure.

horizon3.jpg

Ah true that. I'll skip it for now then and concentrate on the rest :)

Maybe someone here can help, but I'm having a strange issue with the payload hull covering. When I decouple them, they spin in a strange fashion, along the collision "spine" I put on them, sort of like a spinning cylinder. I set it up the same way I've seen other covers set up but mine are not responding the same. Is there any trick to getting them to decouple straight out to the left/right? I'll post a pic in a bit of the issue.

Collision setup in 3dsmax, matching what other cargo covers have done:

HA_collision.jpg

And this is what happens in the game:

hullcover.gif

Edited by stubbles

Alrighty, so I got the spinning issue resolved, but I still haven't fixed the second part of the issue. When the covers decouple, then seem to have a downward force (if shot on launchpad) rather than a horizontal jettison, like most covers have. I can't figure out why that is.

Alrighty, finished up the fairing textures (diff/spec/norm). Still some tweaks to come on the spec map but aren't important right now. Props to NovaSilisko for the KSP logo :)

Textures right now are 1024x1024, will likely release at 512x512.

horizon6.jpg
Edited by stubbles

Just wondering if there's a known issue with the bump specular shader? I'm getting abnormal results from the specular in-game, even though it looks correct in 3dsmax/Unity.

horizon7.jpg
Edited by stubbles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.