[1.12.x] James Webb For Kerbal

bcink

On 6/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, Soviet_Velir said:

Oh... that's sad... Okay then, thanks for the info!

On 6/10/2022 at 10:12 AM, Aelfhe1m said:

The "blueprint" on the OP shows it fitting into a 5m fairing so that's quite a bit too large for SOCK (at least at default scale).

Edit: and the real telescope used a 5.4m fairing for launch (tight squeeze) - the shuttle's cargo bay was only 4.6m across.

Version 1.12.x has been re-sized and is smaller. Not sure if it will fit but check the changelog and try it out. It is also compatible with Tweakscale so you can always just scale down the parts to suit your needs.

On 6/10/2022 at 9:58 AM, Soviet_Velir said:

Hello! Webb's model is great! I was curious if the telescope could fit in a shuttle from SOCK? I just want to conduct such a mission as with the launch of Hubble into orbit

and thank you!

Edited by bcink

11 hours ago, bcink said:

Версия 1.12.x была изменена и стала меньше. Не уверен, что он подойдет, но проверьте список изменений и попробуйте. Он также совместим с Tweakscale, поэтому вы всегда можете просто уменьшить масштаб частей в соответствии со своими потребностями.

и благодарю вас!

Okay, i try!Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MAFman said:

Actually, it's still happening, even with reflections set to maximum.

Try moving your telescope around so that you have some object (the sun or a planet) to reflect something off. Otherwise, you're trying to reflect off of the nothingness of space. I suspect this is what you are encountering.

13 hours ago, bcink said:

Try moving your telescope around so that you have some object (the sun or a planet) to reflect something off. Otherwise, you're trying to reflect off of the nothingness of space. I suspect this is what you are encountering.

Ok, I'm getting reflections of Kerbin now. What was weird was it wasn't reflecting the sun. It's also not reflecting the skybox, which is why it appears totally black.

Edited by MAFman
Added a detail

On 7/23/2022 at 6:54 AM, MAFman said:

Ok, I'm getting reflections of Kerbin now. What was weird was it wasn't reflecting the sun. It's also not reflecting the skybox, which is why it appears totally black.

Yeah thats true, it would be great if it reflected them directly. I assume it's a Textured Unlimited limitation of some kind.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Ultim32 said:

Hi,

@bcink, Should most of the metal parts of the JWST look like ice? I am using this mod without TU.

Hey,

I think you're referring to the 1.12.x foil re-texture. Almost everything on the JWST is wrapped in the foil so i thought it better to make it similar to that. There is a slight blueish hue to it so it wasn't grayscale.

oZt5Viz.png

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Yaroslav said:

will there be a further update of the mod ?

I wasn't particularly planning on doing another update of this on KSP1, but may end up with a port to 2 if they ever open up modding.

• 1 month later...

Hello, and thanks again for sharing this!

I'm noticing this on my system and wanted to ask about it. In the first shot below, the telescope is the TST Deep Space Telescope looking at Neptune (ksrss). The target marker is smack dab in the middle of the frame. The 2nd picture is JWST also looking at Neptune, but as you can see the target is off-center. The greater the magnification, the greater the drift off to the right. Both of these images were taken once the camera had stabilized. 

Any idea what could cause this? Happy to provide all the gory install details if you want.

Spoiler

iuSoURt.png

DvhsC99.png

On 9/10/2023 at 2:28 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hello, and thanks again for sharing this!

Any idea what could cause this? Happy to provide all the gory install details if you want.

Hey there,

That is a bit curious. I wonder if it has been this way forever. Just taking a guess it would seem like the center point for the camera is off by small very minute value.

I am afraid I haven't been doing any mod work in quite some time but let me put this on my radar and see if I can get around to checking this out in the coming days or weeks.

Thanks!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.