[1.12.x] James Webb For Kerbal

bcink

3mONm6U.png

Welcome to the Release thread for James Webb for Kerbal!

James Webb For Kerbal 1.12.x "The Legend" Update

This has been tested with Textures Unlimited, Tarsier Space Technology, Tweakscale and Cacteye2 for version 1.12.x.

Recommended Mods:

Reflections by Textures Unlimited by @Shadowmage

Functional space telescope powered by Tarsier Space Technologies by @JPLRepo

Functional space telescope powered by Cacteye2 by @linuxgurugamer

DOWNLOAD 1.12.x:

Download lya77iI.png  

Old versions only:

DownloadCtSw3OH.png

Installation:

Extract the contents of the GameData folder to your GameData folder. Structure should then read GameData\JamesWebb

Usage:

I recommend taking a look at the component guides to get an idea of where the parts attach to the base structure. Please leave feedback, comments and suggestions and certainly some pictures!

Select from multiple "Control From Here" points to orient vehicle control based on launch or telescope configuration.

wuadkZN.png

Changelog:

Update 1.12.x "The Legend"

Removed all dependency requirements
Re-size the entire main structure
Part is now considered a 3.75m part and not a 5m part (uses 2.5m decoupler)
Re-size side solar panels to fit new structure size
Re-create the entire sunshield and animation using bones to drop the Textures Unlimited (blend shapes animation loading) requirement
Adjusted the timings of the entire deployment animation to be more equivalent to the real deployment
Renamed the deployment animation action to "Open Aperture" to play nicely with Cacteye
Model is loaded as a .mu and not an smf
Re-texture entire main unit + solar panels
Scale-down the RCS thrusters size
Scale-down Main + Side antenna sizes
Fix location of all attachment points due to structure's change in size
Fix engine FX location
Various Textures Unlimited (optional) changes:
-Sunshield is now a flat texture
-The body is all wrinkled and looks like actual foil
-Secondary mirror is reflective
-Camera/Sensor is reflective
-Shiny flat sections on body ("flaps"/solar panel mounts)
Added 5 new TSST telescope targets in infrared taken from Spitzer
Added Cacteye compatibility (acts as the telescope part)

Update 1.9.x (1.10LTE)

Re-compile all parts on 1.10 part tools
Tested with 1.9.x Textures Unlimited and TSST and also tested on KSP 1.10.1

Hotfix 1.4.2

Fixed transform issue where "Control from here" node for swapping back to vertical view not working

Update 1.4

Rebuild and recompile for 1.4
Fixed base structure center point / origin
Reassembled and exported model with very slightly altered scale
Fixed center thrust point
Re-aligned all attachment nodes
Added 8x attachment points for the RCS thrusters
RCS Thrusters now have an attachment node
Fixed rear solar panel center point / origin
Reduced SAS power
Greatly increased SAS electricity cost to promote maneuver accuracy
*** Be sure to upgrade to the latest versions of Textures Unlimited and Tarsier Space Technology

Update 1.1

Increased zoom
Built-in TSST hard drive
Sunshield layers now "rise" into correct final locations
Telescope orientation can now be switched between
Engines / camera optics with multiple "control from here" options
Tweakscale compatibility
RCS thrusters 30% larger
And please upgrade to the new textures unlimited 0.9.0.2 to fix random exploding fairings.

A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO:
@CobaltWolf , @Shadowmage, @Beale, @steedcrugeon, @dboi88, @Stone Blue, @Fengist, @JadeOfMaar, @Nertea, @JPLRepo, @Angel-125 and all of the other devs who have
been incredibly helpful throughout this entire journey. It was 70 days in the making for James Webb for Kerbal 1.0.

XK8e4aq.png

9x16c4r.png

2rLxrBR.gif

TsEMFQY.gif

Brushes by 'tech brush by DayZee by dariaDZ'

KottabosGames Review:

James Webb For Kerbal is License CC-BY-4.0

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Edited by bcink
1.12.x "The Legend" Update

@bcink was so generous in bringing this mod to life, so I am showing my appreciation. Here is a shot of the Jimee Kerbb Smexy Telemaskohp I, with assorted-yet-functional greeblies. Blue tinge on the mirror array being caused by Planetshine. Unnecessary pokey bits are a Pico Plus docking port onna-stick, ProbesPlus RTG recycled from a slightly foxed Queztal probe, and other ProbesPlus control, electrical and science bits (because there was open space that was crying to be filled... just the tip, mind, and only for a minute).

e8amFuRp2VMNglWc6BGFhNIqQiWa0dfE9KaZn2vH

Edited by MaeharaProjekt

1 hour ago, Foozle said:

Congratulations!

It's gorgeous.

And to all those folks still using 1.3 (like me), it works there too.
Because Textures Unlimited works in 1.3.

Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

WHAT THE HELL MAN :D your work was so GREAT !!!!

can you make another sattelite? 

Thank you!! I certainly could at this point :D  I need to take a little bit of time off though. I'll probably think about a new project after Thanksgiving. Ideas will need to brew a bit!

On 11/13/2017 at 6:31 AM, Foozle said:

And to all those folks still using 1.3 (like me), it works there too.
Because Textures Unlimited works in 1.3.

Well, 'works' appears to be going a bit far in my opinion...  The game loads, no exceptions, etc.  Until I try to stage a rocket, at which point the ship explodes.  Textures Unlimited being the culprit - remove it and no explosions.

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Well, 'works' appears to be going a bit far in my opinion...  The game loads, no exceptions, etc.  Until I try to stage a rocket, at which point the ship explodes.  Textures Unlimited being the culprit - remove it and no explosions.

Logs / bug-report?  I've certainly not seen any issues filed regarding anything about exploding rockets.  Works under 1.3.1, and works under 1.3.0 for at least one user (meaning it is not a version incompatibility).  If it is not working for you, there is something else causing the conflict, and you will need to follow the proper steps to resolve the problem (e.g. filing an issue ticket, including logs; you know... more than just saying its broken on a forum post).

Honestly, I wasn't expecting support for it - typically mods are supported for the most recent version of KSP, and this isn't.  I just wanted to report that while it may appear to work (game loads, you can do anything you want), it didn't seem to actually work (it caused rockets to fail).  I may try for logs, but I suspect there won't be much in them - the explosions were all 'normal' explosions based on colliding parts - even though without that mod the parts didn't collide, even in the same rocket using the same profile.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

So THAT's why my fairing exploded last night!  Had no idea it was related.

Uh, "can confirm"...

21 hours ago, Foozle said:

So THAT's why my fairing exploded last night!  Had no idea it was related.

Uh, "can confirm"...

Curious. I'll try and investigate this and see if its anything related to the James Webb model.

Edited by bcink

On 11/14/2017 at 9:30 AM, DStaal said:

Honestly, I wasn't expecting support for it - typically mods are supported for the most recent version of KSP, and this isn't.  I just wanted to report that while it may appear to work (game loads, you can do anything you want), it didn't seem to actually work (it caused rockets to fail).  I may try for logs, but I suspect there won't be much in them - the explosions were all 'normal' explosions based on colliding parts - even though without that mod the parts didn't collide, even in the same rocket using the same profile.

Understood;  yeah, apparently there is something in TU that is causing PF fairings to explode on staging.  Apparently it even happens on KSP 1.3.1.  Intend on taking a look at it this evening, and will do my best to have it cleaned up for the next release (not fond of explosion-causing bugs..). 

It is a bit of a mystery though as there is nothing in TU code that should do anything regarding collisions, colliders, or even anything physics related at all.

34 minutes ago, bcink said:

Curious. I'll try and investigate this and see if its anything related to the James Webb model.

I don't think it is the JWST model -- seems to be purely a PF/TU incompatibility problem.

37 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Understood;  yeah, apparently there is something in TU that is causing PF fairings to explode on staging.  Apparently it even happens on KSP 1.3.1.  Intend on taking a look at it this evening, and will do my best to have it cleaned up for the next release (not fond of explosion-causing bugs..). 

It is a bit of a mystery though as there is nothing in TU code that should do anything regarding collisions, colliders, or even anything physics related at all.

While most of my testing was done with PF fairings, I should mention final diagnosis for me was a ship without any fairings at all.  My thought for what might be happening was that somehow emissives might be getting marked as colliding - the part that 'collided' in my final test ship was a 'pushotron' - a small surface-mount separatron-like solid rocket, that was pointing towards the main body of the ship.  (And was there purely to keep the radial stages from colliding with the central ship on separation.)  It has very minimal protrusion, and had plenty of space - but it's *exhaust* would impact the ship.

Just updated TexturesUnlimited with a fix for the explosive staging problems.  Was a fun/interesting bug to track down... but needed to be squashed.

Please let me know if you guys run into any further problems, and may your JWST launches all go well :)

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

Just updated TexturesUnlimited with a fix for the explosive staging problems.  Was a fun/interesting bug to track down... but needed to be squashed.

<snip>

Please let me know if you guys run into any further problems, and may your JWST launches all go well :)

Amen.

And thanks!

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

Amazing! Super fast work. Now I need to push out a 1.1 update with some fixes on the James......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.