[1.12.x] James Webb For Kerbal

bcink

6 hours ago, hraban said:

If the telescope were a separate module from the bus, a destination could be correctly targeted and the integrated Tarsier Mod could be used.

Since the telescope needs to be controlled both from the vertical and the horizontal positions, the only solution for this was to create multiple "Control from here" points on the vessel. The second one on the list will align the vessel with the telescope and camera, thereby allowing for targeting of objects. The third one on the list is supposed to bring you back to vertical position, but incidentally it looks like something happened with that specific transform and it actually does need rotated back 90º so that you can swap back to the vertical position from horizontal. In current standing it starts vertical and you can swap to horizontal but swap back something got rotated 90º... Fix should be out tonight for this.

6 hours ago, hraban said:

In addition, the telescope lacks a ModuleSAS to align it with KSP board resources. Maybe a detailed description of the on-board resources (context menu) would be helpful.

Sorry, that's the first I've heard anything about that. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by board resources, but if the SAS should be on the vessel for that reason, I can add it. I guess on the changelog re: SAS power reduced that should read reaction wheel power reduced.

11 minutes ago, bcink said:

Since the telescope needs to be controlled both from the vertical and the horizontal positions, the only solution for this was to create multiple "Control from here" points on the vessel. The second one on the list will align the vessel with the telescope and camera, thereby allowing for targeting of objects. The third one on the list is supposed to bring you back to vertical position, but incidentally it looks like something happened with that specific transform and it actually does need rotated back 90º so that you can swap back to the vertical position from horizontal. In current standing it starts vertical and you can swap to horizontal but swap back something got rotated 90º... Fix should be out tonight for this.

Sorry, that's the first I've heard anything about that. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by board resources, but if the SAS should be on the vessel for that reason, I can add it. I guess on the changelog re: SAS power reduced that should read reaction wheel power reduced.

So that brings some enlightenment in the undocumented context entries "control form here". So far I assumed that these are artifacts of uninstalled but compatible mods. Thank you.
Without ModuleSAS in SAServiceLevel = 3, I have no way to target an aimed target in sandbox mode. Well, manual already, but that's like controlling a truck by releasing tire pressure instead of steering 
:wink:

19 minutes ago, hraban said:

Without ModuleSAS in SAServiceLevel = 3, I have no way to target an aimed target in sandbox mode. Well, manual already, but that's like controlling a truck by releasing tire pressure instead of steering :wink:

Hmmm - when selecting a target, hitting T should enable the control wheel. Then you can click on the align to target button next to the altimeter? Unless I'm still missing something? Thanks

1 minute ago, bcink said:

Hmmm - when selecting a target, hitting T should enable the control wheel. Then you can click on the align to target button next to the altimeter? Unless I'm still missing something? Thanks

You still missing!

MODULE
{
 name = ModuleSAS
 SASServiceLevel = 3 // or other setting minimum
}

10 hours ago, hraban said:

You still missing!

Update 1.4.1.2 is on Spacedock, to follow on others soon.

Fixed transform issue where the "Control from here" node for swapping back to vertical view from horizontal was not working
Added ModuleSAS, level 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, JoE Smash said:

So the included RCS thruster positions are missing an axis?

Sorry on the late reply - The RCS are not so much missing an axis as they are missing half of both axis. They squirt down and to the one side only. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Drakenex said:

Yeah man - it's a mess. :(

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Since KSP 1.5 offers more realistic metal surfaces, will the mirrors get an update to be reflective?

@CobaltWolf may be right and it might not be worth it depending on how well it works or not. Will need to investigate.

Would be very surprised if it surpasses what textures unlimited does and for a new update it would really need to be worth it.

Have you tested the effect with textures unlimited?

• 1 year later...

for some reason when I add this mod to 1.8.1, i get stock on game load on baseStructure/Jameswebb, there is no output what so ever in output log file regarding this mod, did anyone encounter this problem in 1.8.1?

Never mind, Not sure what was the problem, Updated janitor closet (well, just re-extracted and replaced) and then added folders of this mod one after another, and everything is ok now :/

Edited by Jiraiyah

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 2:07 AM, Murdabenne said:

Will this work with Research Bodies once that gets updated (soon)?

Good idea. I will check it out.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:54 AM, hemeac said:

Just tested this in-game.  Looks great and love the unfolding animation.

Thanks! :D

4 minutes ago, hemeac said:

Tarsier isn't a hard dependency for it to load in game, just for TST functionality.

The readme.txt inside the download says:

James Webb For Kerbal is 100% dependent upon Tarsier Space Technologies by JPLRepo and Textures Unlimited by Shadowmage.
Please download and install Tarsier Space Technologies before attempting to load James Webb.

Just now, Gordon Dry said:

The readme.txt inside the download says:

Obviously installing it without the dependencies in the readme breaks any implied support from bcink, but I have it in-game at the moment without TST and there have been zero issues.  Right now it is a shiny probe that can do a temperature scan.  I think this would be really straightforward to patch for Kerbalism support if you want it in game.  My plan when I decide to use Kerbalism Science is to put in a few experiments that simulate what the James Webb's mission.

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 2:08 PM, Starhelperdude said:

sry for necroing, but is this mod size optimised for JNSQ?

I haven't done any optimizing specifically for it, but it is at least compatible with tweakscale if there is a size concern (mind you, I'm not sure if TST is updated yet, I've been off here for a while at the moment.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.