[1.12.x] James Webb For Kerbal

bcink

30 minutes ago, Kerbal01 said:

the core lights on the ground. Titan IV had Stage 0 boosters, Ariane V doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_5

No where do you see it as a three stage the only spot it talks about the boosters being a stage is on the Ariane 5 ME and look here and tell me what you see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_(rocket_family)

Ariane 5 90 / 94
(as of July 2017[update])
G, G+, GS, ECA 6,950–10,500 kg (15,320–23,150 lb) 16,000–21,000 kg (35,000–46,000 lb) 46–52 m (151–171 ft) 720,000–780,000 kg (1,590,000–1,720,000 lb) 2 stages

And really the thread is about the James Webb Telescope not the Ariane V launcher

19 hours ago, Mecripp said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_5

No where do you see it as a three stage the only spot it talks about the boosters being a stage is on the Ariane 5 ME and look here and tell me what you see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariane_(rocket_family)

Ariane 5 90 / 94
(as of July 2017[update])
G, G+, GS, ECA 6,950–10,500 kg (15,320–23,150 lb) 16,000–21,000 kg (35,000–46,000 lb) 46–52 m (151–171 ft) 720,000–780,000 kg (1,590,000–1,720,000 lb) 2 stages

And really the thread is about the James Webb Telescope not the Ariane V launcher

the OP said it was a 3 stage lifter, i'm being excessively pedantic to get him to change it.

3 minutes ago, Kerbal01 said:

the OP said it was a 3 stage lifter, i'm being excessively pedantic to get him to change it.

It's fine I'll change the pic, but it's still considered the third stage event in Kerbal terms 

49 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

oh boy, some one builds an awesome telescope and we're disusing about the launcher, is like if some one point you to the moon and you discuss about the finger nail......

:D

• 1 month later...

@Murdabenne

Hello and thanks! 

When creating this I actually tried to integrate Cacteye initially. What I discovered was the transform necessary for the telescope is programmed to only work on a vertical-designed telescope. As James Webb's mirrors are horizontal, it wasn't a viable option. Icedown mentioned to me that he may rework the code to allow for alternate transform angle in the future.

The solution of using @JPLRepo's TSST space telescope does work with ResearchBodies.

TSST's release page lists the specifics as far as what the telescope is able to do with ResearchBodies.

Thanks again and have a good one!

Edited by bcink

• 1 month later...

Hey

I had an issue where all of the reflective surfaces (sunshield and hexagonal panels) were turning black. Was driving me nuts but i sorted it somehow. So just in case anyone else has a situation where they are using the optional configs that add the really shiny surface to the sun shield and hexagonal panels and they have turned black in game and in the VAB this is what i did.

I had a clean install which included both Texture Replacer and Textures Unlimited ( i didn't realise there was a clash ) but everything was fine. Shiny surfaces worked. I then added Astronomer's Visual Pack, which uses Texture Replacer as a dependency, and noticed that a few things, the James Webb telescope included, had turned black. Uninstalling Astronomer's Pack and Texture Replacer didn't work. I could remove the shiny surface configs and the telescope would go back to normal textures but i really wanted the shiny surface. So, i did another clean install and everything is now working again. I have avoided Astronomer's Visual Pack and have gone with Stock Visual Enhancements instead as it only uses Kopernicus as a dependency.

I'm not sure what it was with the combination of Astronomer's visual pack and Texture Replacer that caused it but whatever changed can't be undone by just unistalling them. They must change something that isn't changed back.

It may just be me and no one else has had this issue but if you do, try the above. I had three fully clean installs in the last 2 boring days. and i really just want to get on with launching this telescope because the thing is gorgeous. Excellent work @bcink. Loving your mods.

3 hours ago, windystig said:

Hey

I had an issue where all of the reflective surfaces (sunshield and hexagonal panels) were turning black. 

Thanks for the info! and thanks! I hope you like the James Webb! Hey @Shadowmage any thoughts on above issue?

5 hours ago, windystig said:

which uses Texture Replacer as a dependency,

Currently anything with TR or TRR is going to cause problems with TU because of the feature overlap (adding reflections to things).

1 hour ago, bcink said:

Hey @Shadowmage any thoughts on above issue?

However the changes should not be persistent.  TU does not write out any persistent data or save any configs; everything is loaded from disk on startup.

It would seem likely that there was an errant patch left in place by one of the other mods after it was removed; but nothing more I can even guess on it without at least logs/etc (and in this case it would need logs + MM config cache).

1 hour ago, Shadowmage said:

Currently anything with TR or TRR is going to cause problems with TU because of the feature overlap (adding reflections to things).

However the changes should not be persistent.  TU does not write out any persistent data or save any configs; everything is loaded from disk on startup.

It would seem likely that there was an errant patch left in place by one of the other mods after it was removed; but nothing more I can even guess on it without at least logs/etc (and in this case it would need logs + MM config cache).

Hey

I did wonder if there was some other patch that may have been altered that was not actually part of TR or TU and just got left there. EIther way a clean install was the only way i was going to fix it. The downside being that any evidence was obliterated because i literally uninstalled everything, right down to deleting the Kerbal folder in Steam and emptying the recycle bin. This was necessary because a previous install where i deleted the Gamedata folder contents but then just reinstalled them from the cache had not fixed the problem.

Not much help identifying this issue now (my bad on that one) but if anyone else has the problem in the future at least it may provide a starting point. Anyhow, i'm sticking with TU now as it is working for me and the mods i want to use. Thanks for making it.

• 1 month later...

Attempted using this with the latest 1.4 release and upon loading, the load bar hangs at the JWST files and will not proceed further.  That being said, TST also does not function.  TST does not throw an error, but it seems the addon just does not want to load.  None of the telescopes that come with it want to open their shutters or camera.

Edited by thejmann07

9 minutes ago, thejmann07 said:

the load bar hangs at the JWST files and will not proceed further. 

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had time to investigate too deep, but I've noticed that none of my mods requiring Textures Unlimited have been loading so I suspect there may be an issue with TU and the new update. As far as TST  goes that is probably the same thing. I figured I would sit back for a few while those folks address their respective mods before tackling any potential fixes to these. 

Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hraban said:

@bcink

Would have been nice if the minimod, before the deployment as download, under 1.4.1 would have been tested.

LoL. Care to provide any details?? I mean, this is 1.4.1 and this is the JWST floating around looking at the planet after a launch.. the only thing curious I see is the land on the planet missing from the screenshot...

UMGT2yE.png

11 hours ago, bcink said:

LoL. Care to provide any details?? I mean, this is 1.4.1 and this is the JWST floating around looking at the planet after a launch.. the only thing curious I see is the land on the planet missing from the screenshot...

*snip*

Yes, it can be described more precisely, but I had no time for that yesterday.

Your beautiful telescope lacks the correct orientation. If the telescope were a separate module from the bus, a destination could be correctly targeted and the integrated Tarsier Mod could be used. In addition, the telescope lacks a ModuleSAS to align it with KSP board resources. Maybe a detailed description of the on-board resources (context menu) would be helpful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.