Trouble on the Mun!

RussaX

Mission info:

Race to establish base on the Mun rages between Nasa, SpaceX and Russians. Kerbals have decided to use their engineering skills to arrive first while in process Jebediah has forgot to bring any food. Your mission is to create vessel and go to the Mun to bring them some food until they start growing plants.

Summary:

You need to land on the Mun, drop "Service Bay 1.25" , plant a flag, return and land on Kerbin as quick as you can.

Time stops after touchdown and flag plant on Kerbin.

Rules:

Only stock parts.

External command seat is not allowed

Kerbodyne and Rockomax fuel tank and engine class is not allowed

No boosters

Only 3 stages are allowed (not including service bay separation)

Vessel should not take damage on landing

You cannot land on engine nozzle

Heat shield is not allowed

Parachute is not allowed

No infinite fuel

Take a screenshot or two and if you can share a video or craft that is cool.  https://kerbalx.com/

9W8iNMT.png

Edited by RussaX

4 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Or boosters for that matter?

Or Kerbodyne/Rockomax parts?

More importantly why are real life space agencies interested in going to the fictional "Mun"? And who's the food for? We all know Kerbals don't eat!

Because it is a challenge with made up story.

Edited by RussaX

18 minutes ago, RussaX said:

Because it is a challenge with made up story.

Fair enough, we were just wondering what the reasoning behind the limitations are.

Like no parachutes? Parachutes are a pretty standard way to  slow down on return to Kerbin... are you disallowing them because you want powered SpaceX style landings? No boosters? What's the reason in the story we can't use SRB's? I'm just saying that people will be more likely to do your challenge if you explain why you are imposing these limits.

You could also offer bonus points for not using Parachutes/Boosters instead of out right disallowing them for example. You want to leave at least a little room for creative solutions or every entry will look exactly the same!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

18 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Fair enough, we were just wondering what the reasoning behind the limitations are.

Like no parachutes? Parachutes are a pretty standard way to  slow down on return to Kerbin... are you disallowing them because you want powered SpaceX style landings? I'm just saying that people will be more likely to do your challenge if you explain why you are imposing these limits.

I limit using large tanks and engines that so vessels do not look too similar because mission is quite simple. Coming back from Mun without using a heatshield and parachute makes it more challenging because you can't just re enter atmosphfere with high velocity and if you do you won't be able to land with damage.

Limitations are reason to see different ways of doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, RussaX said:

I limit using large tanks and engines that so vessels do not look too similar because mission is quite simple. Coming back from Mun without using a heatshield and parachute makes it more challenging because you can't just re enter atmosphfere with high velocity and if you do you won't be able to land with damage.

Limitations are reason to see different ways of doing the same thing.

Alright, best of luck with your challenge!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 10:41 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Or boosters for that matter?

Or Kerbodyne/Rockomax parts?

More importantly why are real life space agencies interested in going to the fictional "Mun"? And who's the food for? We all know Kerbals don't eat!

Well the food is for the aliens that secretly live there for a peace offering.

12 minutes ago, LightBender said:

Well the food is for the aliens that secretly live there for a peace offering.

Yeah but...if Kerbals don't eat...how did they know how to cook food?!

Back on topic:

This challenge is pretty much a basic Mun run with a 1.25 service bay (which weighs like nothing.) So really the only "hard" part of the challenge is "no parachutes." I think the challenge needs to be fleshed out a bit more or clarified, maybe the OP would get some takers then.

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Yeah but...if Kerbals don't eat...how did they know how to cook food?!

Back on topic:

This challenge is pretty much a basic Mun run with a 1.25 service bay (which weighs like nothing.) So really the only "hard" part of the challenge is "no parachutes." I think the challenge needs to be fleshed out a bit more or clarified, maybe the OP would get some takers then.

They ordered it using Kerbal eats :)

Topic: Ok fair enough wait is mining allowed?

On November 16, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Like no parachutes? Parachutes are a pretty standard way to  slow down on return to Kerbin... are you disallowing them because you want powered SpaceX style landings? No boosters? What's the reason in the story we can't use SRB's? I'm just saying that people will be more likely to do your challenge if you explain why you are imposing these limits.

You could also offer bonus points for not using Parachutes/Boosters instead of out right disallowing them for example. You want to leave at least a little room for creative solutions or every entry will look exactly the same!

Thank you someone gets me!

Uh hey could I use unbreakable joints for the physics load?

Edited by LightBender
Reasons

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.