EPIC 203533312 - The Most HORRIFIC System in the Universe

ProtoJeb21

10 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

I think this star's too dense for any planet to orbit inside for an extended period of time.

The planet is already degrading just as Mercury has been degraded and is still degrading due to outgassing of remnant rocky minerals on its surface. The difference is that a planet close to its star is degrading millions of times faster.
Eventually the crust and mantle will melt and the core will merge with these two, as the surface decelerates the heavy metals at the center of the core will move prograde and the surface will move retrograde, a strong magnetic dipole will appear. The movement backwards will be accompanied by the sloughing of material off of its tail; however the rapid evolution of gas from the moving surfaces will create a boundary layer that slows orbital decay.

On 11/13/2017 at 6:18 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

I would rank this, hands-down, as one of the most DANGEROUS systems you could ever visit in the entire Universe.

Definitely not on my bucket list of places to go :)

However, there are far worse things out there, surely.  IIRC, the very first exoplanets ever discovered were orbiting a neutron star, so have already been blasted by whatever horrific event created said neutron star, and are now periodically blasted yet again as their parent pulsar wobbles.  And then there are the star systems that orbit the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milkyway so closely that we've calculated said black hole's location from those stars' motions in just a couple decades of observations.  These days, I don't think there are (m)any active QUASARs, but imagine what it was like for such star systems back when that was a thing.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:31 PM, electricpants said:

I'd like to take a nice vacation to Tartarus.

I'm always too cold freezing absolute zero-ing on Earth. :/

If Tartarus is a bit too warm, I recommend going to EPIC 211413752. It's a yellow sub-giant star becoming a red giant with 6 large gas planets orbiting VERY closely. A whopping FOUR of the six planets fall into my "Hell Planet" category, which are planets with an equilibrium temperature over 1,250oK. All the planets are enormous, searing balls of gas between 4.5 and 11.7 times the radius of Earth, with the hottest having a temperature of 2,446oK (3,946oF). FUN!

18 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

All the planets are enormous, searing balls of gas between 4.5 and 11.7 times the radius of Earth, with the hottest having a temperature of 2,446oK (3,946oF). FUN!

Sounds like the perfect vacation getaway. Don't sign me up, though. Yeah I'm...too busy for vacations...*cough*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.