KSP causes incredible HDD usage

Hi,

so I set up a new KSP install with  a couple of mods (Galileo Planet Pack, MKS/UKS, KIS/KAS, MechJeb2, Flight Manager, ScanSat and a couple of part mods lie the NearFuture Mods) apart from Flight Manager I have used all of these mods before and never had a problem.

So here is what happens: Everything is fine until I leave a ship. Hitting Launch from the VAB works fine... loading a ship from the tracking station is fine as well... but returning to the Space Center from a ship... or switching ships causes incredible HHD usage and takes up to 10 minutes.

The funny thing is that when I open Task Manager to check it is not actually the KSP-process that is causing this... It is the "System" process. Why am I still certain KSP has something to do with this? Because my computer does not have this problem otherwise. It only occurs when running KSP and leaving a vessel.

Since Flight Manager was the only mod I had not used before I removed it but that didn't change anything.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Or a way I could approach this.. because I am at loss right now (I am also not the best with windows operating systems...)

You're not the only one experiencing it. I've experienced it too, even now. My guess is, judging from my previous KSP playthrough, version 1.3 seems to be unstable compared to 1.2. Back then, even though my computer considered as potato-class, I could run a planet pack with graphic mods and parts pack with no problem at all in 1.2, but as soon as I installed 1.3, even a planet pack (without graphic or part mods) cause a heavy HDD usage that strains my computer (And always ends in error message crash). I don't know what causing this, but I suspect (judging from what I see in my tests) KSP 1.3 seems causing a heavy strain to the system if there's several mods installed. Not sure if this could help, but my solution to make me able to play KSP with mods that I wanted is by having several KSP folder in a single drive (Folder 1 for spaceplanes, folder 2 for rockets, folder 3 for weapons, etc.)

If it is the system using it perhaps you have run out of memory and it is hammering the pagefile?

If this is the case ensuring you close anything else that is running in the background may help, as well as reducing mods especially ones with big texture packs.

On my setup KSP only uses the HDD to load and save, it seems to keep everything else in memory.

Do you have a ksp.log you can share with us? That will tell us more about what ksp.exe or ksp_x64.exe is seeing.

My performance problems come from garbage collection more than anything else, and I use MemGraph to help allocate more heap RAM for that. I also have a 32 GB RAM PC running a 64-bit version of Windows so KSP can use it.

I otherwise concur with others that you might be hammering your page file pretty hard due to sheer RAM usage.

okay... here is the KSP.Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaofq4bm61fd9kv/KSP.log?dl=0

what I did is quite simple... I launched the game loaded a campaign, loaded a vessel und switched back to the Space Center.

Loading back to the Space Centre took a total of 13 minutes. The RAM usage was sitting at about 60% in total during all this. The only other programs I was actively running at the time were Firefox and Task manager.

This KSP log tells me you're trying to run all of this on a 64-bit PC with 8 GB RAM.

On a 'stock' KSP with Stock Visual Terrain and Stock Visual Enhancements installed, my KSP process easily takes up 7 GB of working set RAM. If I didn't have 32 GB RAM it too would be fiercely swapping memory to the page file and hammering my disk. I do have a GPP installation, but I haven't loaded it in some time and don't remember the working set footprint it had.

If you're going to run Galileo's Planet Pack, get more RAM. I don't have a better solution.

well my problem is that it only started showing this behaviour in this particular install...

I have another install(1.2.1) lying around with realism overhaul a bunch of part mods and visual mods and that does not have the problem...

I guess then this is just something I'll have to live with... or stop playing KSP... which really isn't an option...

Edited by bertibott

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.