Air Superiority Fighter Competition

11 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Right and if I want to land?

Ditch in the water,   an air superiority fighter probably has a decent amount of wing area for its weight, and will have a stalling speed low enough for all the parts to survive.   

Low part count, hmm

fat 455 airplane main wings - for the main wings.   Mount big s tail fin on the ends of these wings as your "ailerons".   Another pair up front as the canards.   Basically fit the largest of everything.      Heck,  if part count is everything,  perhaps even replace multiple panthers with a   Goliath.    From what i've seen, all the manuvering combat takes place at speeds below 150 m/s anyway.     

Ahh! So busy! I'll try and awnser most of the currently pending questions now:

On 11/18/2017 at 11:54 PM, dundun93 said:

@HeroBrian_333, when will dogfights start???

Whenever I have time. I am very busy, and I am also working on my entry(ies).

On 11/19/2017 at 3:10 AM, FleshJeb said:

@HeroBrian_333 do the rules allow the Vulcan turrets? They only say lasers and Goalkeepers are not allowed.

Mmm, sorry, gonna have to say no. Only turret allowed is 50 cal. I'll clarify the rules.

On 11/19/2017 at 2:31 AM, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

are biplanes allowed?  gon make a Po-2

Whatever you can build with under 7 mods (not including BDA).

8 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

is it allowed to make a plane based on real life one? if yes i gonna make a KAI/PTDI KF-X/IF-X and Qaher 313

Sure, real life or fictional. I'm going to use Firespitter for an Airwolf helicopter.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Sure, real life or fictional. I'm going to use Firespitter for an Airwolf helicopter.

Hide contents

Have you seen THIS?

Also, I've discovered that trying to dogfight helicopters results in them rolling upside down when dodging missiles, and plowing into the ground with the help of the now-inverted VTOL engine. They can't be operated at low altitude, which ruins the point of them being VTOLs in the first place.

I'm going to try setting the Steer Factor to minimum and the Steer Damping to maximum and seeing if they can avoid killing themselves down low.

Edited by FleshJeb

Yes, I have seen that. Had no idea what it was the first time though!:D Also, never said I was submitting KAFH Airwolf. Is just a test platform for other craft once it is done. Also, I have the crew. Stringfellow, Dominic, and Kaitlyn Kerman! (The New Jebediah, Robert, and William Kerman!)

Edited by HeroBrian_333

Big plane (for me. I build small planes):

screenshot610

Not much armament as of now. It's actually unconventional. It's better suited for low altitude scouting and such. BUT, it might prove useful as some sort of 'flying fortress' type thing.

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

Big plane (for me. I build small planes):

screenshot610

Not much armament as of now. It's actually unconventional. It's better suited for low altitude scouting and such. BUT, it might prove useful as some sort of 'flying fortress' type thing.

Just bear in mind that roll rate depends on keeping as much mass as possible near the centreline, so those wingtip engines and fuel tanks might not be optimal.   That said,  there is a limit to how much roll rate is needed, but if you have problems in that regard its the first place to look.

1 hour ago, AeroGav said:

Just bear in mind that roll rate depends on keeping as much mass as possible near the centreline, so those wingtip engines and fuel tanks might not be optimal.   That said,  there is a limit to how much roll rate is needed, but if you have problems in that regard its the first place to look.

Roll rate is also dependent on wingspan, and more importantly how many control surfaces there are relative to lifting pieces.

Additionally, @HeroBrian_333, are Jernas missile turrets allowed?

Edited by drtricky

I'd like to present another entry if possible, the AB-17 Moses.

A monstrous bomber with enough lead to poison the land, it carries 64 50 cal turrets and 31200 rounds of ammo. It also has two Jernas missile turrets for long-range anti-air attacks. It can achieve fighter-like speed and acceleration, having fourteen Panther engines mounted under the wings. But as expected, maneuverability is rather poor.

Spoiler

1489EE9EE8E9E62E56F0AA6BF469500ACA78898A

Still not enuff dakka tho 

Edited by drtricky

That thing has almost enuff dakka.
So very tempted to enter a Zartron successor after the failure of the original back in one of the old ASC KotH tourneys, but lets stay conventional-ish for now, so for now, I'll enter the X-02 Taisch. Seems to perform fairly well against the Byrntroll.
9EKeWw9.png
I also have a hilariously broken drone fighter I could enter as well.

9 hours ago, AeroGav said:

The thing is actually super maneuverable, even compared to smaller jets. Take off speed is literally 35 m/s

I finally got a faux-helicopter working. No odd settings on the AI, I just de-tuned the ailerons.

Shockingly, it will regularly kill two of my "Be Gentles". Apparently, minimum altitude + ECM is quite good. It also turns out that the rotor provides excellent ablative armor--It's tanked quite a few missile blasts, with no damage to the rest of the craft. It might even fly better without it. :D

Here's the "Thwop Thwop": https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kcbm6ksze8n5f1/Thwop Thwop.craft?dl=0

WARNING: If you stage it and leave it idle, it's only got 4 minutes worth of batteries before the ECM drains it dry. It refuses to function after that.

Also, the cockpits are angled, and I haven't tried it with a crew. I believe the correctly-oriented probe core will take over anyway. It's in the upper service bay, at the front, if you need to find it.

EDIT: I have "MechJeb And Engineer For All" installed, so they're embedded in the command units, and are probably required.

oIwcI36.jpg

Edited by FleshJeb

38 minutes ago, Mukita12 said:

so my rebooted challenge is death now So maybe i can Join too (no dead it's just i'm busy so i leave there )

anyways Can i use kerbal Foundries

as the OP said, any mods are allowed, just don't use too many mods

Thinking about this, the fairest way to run this contest would not be as a series of "knockout" matches, but as a "football league".      That way the best all rounder, that can defeat the largest number of other entries, wins.    In a knockout competition,  the best airplane could run into its nemesis on the first round, or just get unlucky,  even  though the plane that defeated it might be pretty much useless fighting anything else. 

@AeroGav Actually, the way you described knockout is more accurate than the way you described football type competition. New plane starts at the bottom of the list, then works its way up.

@drtricky I'll 1v1 your Moses with my heavy weapons fighter. (Once it is done, of course)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.