Air Superiority Fighter Competition

14 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Were they having a sale on AMRAAMS or something? you've got two tons of weight just in the missiles, AI must be more aggressive than a dog with a mousetrap on its dangly bits.

:rolleyes:

The D-V looks worrying though. How long will that thing last in combat before it uses all it's fuel? 5 minutes with the afterburner? More? Less?

17 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Were they having a sale on AMRAAMS or something? you've got two tons of weight just in the missiles, AI must be more aggressive than a dog with a mousetrap on its dangly bits.

It was when testing, let's see if it holds up in battle. Those are two tons I hope not to be carrying anymore when dogfighting.

3 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

The D-V looks worrying though. How long will that thing last in combat before it uses all it's fuel? 5 minutes with the afterburner? More? Less?

Corners were cut where possible. Elsewhere corners were sharpened into backup melee weapons. Yes, the design takes some risks in, well, a lot of aspects. Let's see what comes back to bite it and what does not. :)

14 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

It was when testing, let's see if it holds up in battle. Those are two tons I hope not to be carrying anymore when dogfighting.

Corners were cut where possible. Elsewhere corners were sharpened into backup melee weapons. Yes, the design takes some risks in, well, a lot of aspects. Let's see what comes back to bite it and what does not. :)

Top speed with full compliment of missiles: 982m/s. 200 units of fuel gives you 2min10s of runtime full burner...i'd say you had a good missile fighter, except your aircraft is designed to close the missile gap (15km) in record time. Has the same (very aggressive) performance entering a loop at 150m/s as it does at 990 from a dive.  this will be interesting...
pp6ZNFv.png

Edited by exbyde

12 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

Let's see what comes back to bite it and what does not. :)

:)

Does anyone have any tips on how to make planes turn faster? I have everything down pat except that. Or rather, I can make planes turn fast, but the prograde marker doesn't follow the nose of the craft very well, so there's a lot of swaying and, if I were to release the controls, the craft would swing back down to prograde.

11 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Does anyone have any tips on how to make planes turn faster? I have everything down pat except that. Or rather, I can make planes turn fast, but the prograde marker doesn't follow the nose of the craft very well, so there's a lot of swaying and, if I were to release the controls, the craft would swing back down to prograde.

More wing, less mass. It is really as simple as that. And I don't mean control surfaces, just plain old wings.

Your Ripsaw has a wing area of only about 6.4 (judging by the parts I see) for a mass of 15t, which gives you a ratio of 0.43.

The Dorito, for comparison, has a wing area of ~14 for a mass of 11.7t, so the ratio is 1.2. This means it could change its trajectory three times as fast while losing the same amount of energy. Or, more likely, take a little bit longer than that but lose less energy too.

The Taisch has a wing area of ~14.5 for a mass of 9.4, so the ratio is 1.55, which is the core reason behind its amazing maneuverability.

Note all masses are with a full complement of missiles, after firing them, the Ripsaw has a ratio of 0.44, the Taisch would have 1.65, increasing the gap even more.

I'd say try to go for a ratio between relative wing area and mass in tons of at least 1 if you're planning on dogfighting.

EDIT: Btw, the inverse of this ratio is called wing loading, and you can read more about it on wikipedia . For example an F-16 has a wing area of 27.87 and a mass of 19.2t, which would have a ratio 1.45.

Edited by Eidahlil

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

:)

Having the CoL just behind the CoM would help by keeping it from being overly stable as well. 

Okay, so do you remember the Bryntröll? I ran my EuroViper against it, and they traded kills. However, the last Bryntröll got the final kill with vulcans, even though my EuroViper had a perfect shot with double avengers. Oh well, back to the cube farm for more development.

Ok, so I have a question that is up for your judgement. The howitzer is a cannon with a VERY limited swivel. Therefore, if mounted on aplane, they are not op bc of slow firing rate and the need to line up your shot. Therefore, am I allowed to use them?

On 11/23/2017 at 6:51 PM, HeroBrian_333 said:

Well, happy thanksgiving! Will try and do some battles tomorrow.

4. Weapons must be BDA only! Also must carry its own ammo, infinite ammo will not be enabled. Turrets, Cannons, and lasers are absolutely BANNED!!!!!

Umm, what if I have a turret because my heavy fighter needs one to defend from behind? A lot of heavy fighters had one. And what counts as a cannon? Like, 37mm Yak-9t autocannon? Is that kind of thing okay?

Edited by InfiniteAtom

1 hour ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Ok, so I have a question that is up for your judgement. The howitzer is a cannon with a VERY limited swivel. Therefore, if mounted on aplane, they are not op bc of slow firing rate and the need to line up your shot. Therefore, am I allowed to use them?

I saw a fighter with several 105mm howitzers on it in another competition. The howitzers were extremely inaccurate, even in a head-on bull rush, and it was clear the swiveling wouldn't help. So although it's not bannable due to power issues, I would say don't use it if you want to succeed.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mION3qxpaA

Edited by drtricky

2 hours ago, InfiniteAtom said:

4. Weapons must be BDA only! Also must carry its own ammo, infinite ammo will not be enabled. Turrets, Cannons, and lasers are absolutely BANNED!!!!!

Umm, what if I have a turret because my heavy fighter needs one to defend from behind? A lot of heavy fighters had one. And what counts as a cannon? Like, 37mm Yak-9t autocannon? Is that kind of thing okay?

No turret or you die. People will see to it personally here. 

2 hours ago, InfiniteAtom said:

Umm, what if I have a turret because my heavy fighter needs one to defend from behind? A lot of heavy fighters had one.

This is an air superiority contest. You will be facing off against aircraft designed for maneuverability, speed, low weight and high thrust. Our current heaviest aircraft on the rank sheet is the #5 Pachy at 19.6 tons on takeoff, but only on the grounds that it turns into a microfighter when you shoot out its tail end. I'm not going to tell you "heavy fighters are the devil"  but you're unlikely to get very far.

Edited by exbyde

On 12/7/2017 at 5:00 PM, 53miner53 said:

Fighter 3 Mk2 has been tested hard. I'm still not confident in it making the leaderboard, but it has a good shot. 

https://kerbalx.com/53miner53/Fighter-3-Mk2

I'm having issues getting Aviator Arsenal to not crash my game, so no test for you right now. Also what do you have on here that needs aviator arsenal?

Word of advice on weapons:

In general, cannons are relatively lightweight, and missing your shot over a weak armament is a bigger risk than losing a small bit of mobility over an extra gun. While a pair of Ma Deuces and a pair of sidewinders that never makes its mark is a perfectly valid solution, i will deduct cool points when your aircraft wins or loses a fight after a five-minute bout of aerial jenga.

8 hours ago, exbyde said:

@53miner53 You should change out the timings on your missiles and remove the PAKs. You had an Aim-9 collide with your cockpit as it was launched, knocking an aircraft out of combat. 

I will on the Aim-9s, but other than manually editing the Aim-120, which I feel would be me cheating the system even though others have done it before, I don’t see how any other AAM can have a max engage range at 15km

10 hours ago, exbyde said:

I'm having issues getting Aviator Arsenal to not crash my game, so no test for you right now. Also what do you have on here that needs aviator arsenal?

I didn’t think anything. I had a 40mm cannon on it, but I had removed that because it wasn’t working. I guess I forgot the ammo boxes. I’ll update it.

Edit: forgot about WWII style radars on the tail. I had added them to try to counter the low radar profile of some of the enemy fighters, since they were the smallest radars at my disposal.

Edited by 53miner53

11 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

I will on the Aim-9s, but other than manually editing the Aim-120, which I feel would be me cheating the system even though others have done it before, I don’t see how any other AAM can have a max engage range at 15km

Your PAKS lose lock within 1.5km, even with the three radars. Not within 1.5km of the target, 1.5km of being launched. They work well for ground-based radar systems, but for air-to-air, they require a constant radar lock, so as soon as your aircraft maneuvers or they pop chaff, the missile disengages. They really just make for a heavy looking fashion statement on fighters.

Edited by exbyde

16 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Your PAKS lose lock within 1.5km, even with the three radars. Not within 1.5km of the target, 1.5km of being launched. They work well for ground-based radar systems, but for air-to-air, they require a constant radar lock, so as soon as your aircraft maneuvers or they pop chaff, the missile disengages. They really just make for a heavy looking fashion statement on fighters.

Oh. Oops:confused:. Editing now

edit: Fighter 3 Mk2 has been updated!

Edited by 53miner53

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.