Air Superiority Fighter Competition

I have a pretty good drone fighter with 33k delta-v and decent speed/maneuverability. Unfortunately, it has no ammunition boxes, so infinite ammo is going to have to be activated. The COM/COL have already been balanced out and adding more parts would mess up the plane :P

screenshot540

Is this a problem, or should I submit something with it's own ammo?

1 minute ago, Earthlinger said:

I have a pretty good drone fighter with 33k delta-v and decent speed/maneuverability. Unfortunately, it has no ammunition boxes, so infinite ammo is going to have to be activated. Is this a problem, or should I submit something with it's own ammo?

I dont know how to set up infinite ammo, plus its unfair to the other competitors. You can submit it, but it won't be eligible for the leaderboard unless it carries its own ammo. I'll add that to the rules. However, it is nice-looking. First use of a probe core, too. Good job. Maybe put the ammo box right on COM, then offset into COM?

6 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I dont know how to set up infinite ammo, plus its unfair to the other competitors. You can submit it, but it won't be eligible for the leaderboard unless it carries its own ammo. I'll add that to the rules. However, it is nice-looking. First use of a probe core, too. Good job. Maybe put the ammo box right on COM, then offset into COM?

Click the settings icon on the top-right side of the weapon manager tab. Some options pop up. I have some other drones that can carry their own ammunition though. I'll modify the best one (below) so that it carries missiles and 50 cals instead of rockets.

screenshot576

*Note that I love drones. Seriously. I hardly ever use kerbals :D

Also, my craft are specialized for swarm tactics, and they're all pretty low on part counts. The first one I showed is 25 parts and the on in this post is 30. It'll probably bump up to 45-50 though, once I add more weaponry.

Edited by Earthlinger

@Earthlinger If they are for swarm tactics, they will do better in 2v2 and 3v3. I'm going to run a 25v13 against my fighter with whatever you submit. Smoke will not be effective in this, as it is a countermeasure against AGM's. Recommend 1 flare and 1 chaff. I like the use of missiles, but it won't be effective against fast moving targets. Thank you for the inspiration for my next fighter. Submit many variants of your drones! It would be cool to have more than one submission from someone other than me.

3 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I'm going to run a 25v13 against my fighter with whatever you submit.

25 v 13, you say?

Why, you must work for NASA's computer department.

I'll submit tomorrow, as it is currently 11 at night where I am :P

Edited by Earthlinger

4 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

25 v 13, you say?

Why, you must work for NASA's computer department.

LOL I want to :wink:. The battle will probably crash my laptop, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT!!!!!!

Edited by HeroBrian_333

2 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Ha ha, same :D

I'm more into aerospace engineering though, rather than computers per se XD

Same here.

4 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

Since you want more planes, here’s a second from me. It was built in FAR, though, so it may not go too well. 

https://kerbalx.com/53miner53/Fighter-3

Was fighter 2 in FAR as well? That might explain why it "pancaked". If this one crashes, my reccomendation woyld be to check COM, COL, and add SAS modules.

Edited by HeroBrian_333

1 minute ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Same here.

Was fighter 2 in FAR as well? That might explain why it "pancaked". If this one crashes, my reccomendation woyld be to check COM, COL, and add SAS modules.

Fighter 2 was stock aero, it just was the second fighter I built, and I think I designed it to be unstable to be more maneuverable, without realizing that the AI was programmed around stable crafts and can’t handle unstable crafts.

I made another fighter!  This one is a drone, the Sanngrior.  I designed it to outmaneuver the Bryntröll , which it did quite easily.  I also played with the AI pilot settings a bit and got it dialed in.  It can turn 180 degrees in about 2 seconds while going 200+m/s, and can accelerate through Mach 1 astonishingly fast.

Inyyd32.png

KerbalX link

@Thor Wotansen Nice job! Love the looks, but could you take a screenshot of the AI settings so I can make sure they are set right on my end?

Also, I have a plane I downloaded  (not weponized) that can turn 360 in 1 sec. (No joke!) It's called the Volta XV Spear, its made by @Avera9eJoe, and it is amazing. Look it up, he posted a video showing how he built it.

Edited by HeroBrian_333

3 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Also, I have a plane I downloaded  (not weponized) that can turn 360 in 1 sec. (No joke!) It's called the Volta XV Spear, and it is amazing. Look it up, the creator posted a video showing how he built it.

I have plane with similar stats, but they're inconvenient in dogfights. Flips like that make them lose speed super fast, and it makes them much easier to hit.

Edited by Earthlinger

@Thor Wotansen no problem.

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

I have plane with similar stats, but they're inconvenient in dogfights. Flips like that make them lose speed super fast, and it makes them much easier to hit.

Agreed. However, the design is still good. I learned all of my design techniques from the video showing him building it and @EnterElysium's WWK3.

My Berzerker Drones are ready for combat :D

Make sure the 50 cals are set to salvo (so that barrage=false).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyil29rg68cn0ro/Berzerker Drone.craft?dl=0&m

EDIT: I will delete the link after a few hours/once you acknowledge this because the craft is still in the prototype phase :P

Edited by Earthlinger

3 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I meant that the busier the better is only true on weekends. (And with this challenge. School is very time consuming, and not very fun)

Ah ok, lol. Yeah I can relate with the school part. I'm in an IB school at the moment :P Search up IB memes and you'll see what I mean XD

Honestly, these forums - for me - are a way to vent the stress and relax (and procrastinate, but not so much that it's......er....bad.......)

Edited by Earthlinger

7 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Honestly, these forums - for me - are a way to vent the stress and relax (and procrastinate, but not so much that it's...er....bad......)

:D LOL

BTW, Now I see why you build small drones.

Edited by HeroBrian_333

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.