Mod Idea for Career "The SkyLab is Fallin" Mod

CG-23 Sailor

I am not a Mod maker, Don't even have the first clue how to begin and no programming experience. But I have what I think is a cool idea for a Mod if anyone wants to take a stab at it.
From what I have seen of other mods and what's been done, it shouldn't be too hard and not too involved.

There are mods out there that work with the stock recovery and change it. I saw one which limits your recovered funds and such only if you land within X range of a beacon, etc... 
Other Mods work with the recovery process itself such as Stage Recovery and others.

What I envision is a mod which will make you take care that your discarded stages are not dropping into populated areas. 
What it would do is penalize you in funds and reputation if your debris strikes certain areas. 

In a Stock Game this would be:
No penalty hitting water. 
Penalty if your debris strikes land.

This would be for anything labeled as debris (No Crew or probe core), or has become uncontrollable (Out of power or no parachutes)
Config settings could let you allow/disallow the penalty by Biome. After all, what is there to hit in the Desert or Ice Caps? It could be limited to only penalizing for Grasslands and Shore, etc..
A Hard mode would set the safe drop area to offshore only by X number of km (outside of territorial waters/shipping lanes), thus limiting you to drop only in deep open ocean waters (no inland lakes either)

With certain Mods, this Mod could be seriously enhanced.  Mods like EVE or Stock Visual Enhancements... Those which add City textures.
In this case there could be different levels of penalties depending on where you hit. 
Hitting land by itself results only in a small penalty, but dropping one in the middle of a city results in a severe penalty.

Right now, every Mod dealing with recovery only deals with trying to get a little back. If you don't oh well. If you have a recovery mod and don't recover... nothing happens other than you don't get some funds back that you would not have gotten anyways.

This would force you to take care where your unrecovered boosters and other debris winds up or get penalized.

Anyone remember SkyLab?
We don't want Kerbstralia suing Werner Von Kerman and the KSC now do we?

Whatcha think?

Edited by CG-23 Sailor
typos

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.