Spirit Style Landi-

Spk0h2g.png

Well that was quite a while ago...

A wise man once said: "I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact". So that's something that you're not going to do. You will make that impact happen, and you will probably die even if you don't do anything stupid.

A another "wise" man once said: "Now, the whole challenge is to construct a capsule of any size that can survive (not completely, obviously some things will blow) falling from higher than 50 meters from the surface (not sea-level) without wrecking the rover inside, then releasing the rover. The planet to land on is Duna anything." I don't know who that guy is, but he sounds like a real douchebag, so I'll plagiarise all of his ideas.

Let's get some things clear:

1. The douchebag in the previous quote is also a wimp. No one will fall from 50 meters, and parachutes should be illegal in space exploration in general. You're gonna take that capsule, and you're gonna smash it against the surface of any planet you want, from space.

2. No mods, BUT PLANET PACKS ARE ALLOWED. Even the person in the above quote said that, and he wasn't that bright either.

3. You are free to use Realism Overhaul.

3. No fairing usage allowed.

4. This challenge has nothing to do with the Spirit Rover. That name is actually based on the former challenge to which there is a link below.

Basic Concept

- Create a rover (mech suits are also allowed).

- Create a sturdy capsule for said rover.

- Ram that capsule as fast as possible into any solid body you choose.

- Anything can happen to the capsule, but the rover has to be intact.

- The rover has to be able to exit the remains of the capsule.

Scoring sheets are for people who want to fall on Duna from 50 meters while using parachutes

- There will be no scoring system or sheet. Just go all out on it. This challenge is supposed to be die-hard and explosive.

The original thread is located here- uhh, this is a subtitle, did you seriously expect a link?

- It's actually here

The reason why this whole... thing... is named "Spirit Style Landing Challenge" is because, originally, I meant that challenge to be a rover deployment in the style of the Spirit mars mission. However, that was the first thread I made on this forum, and I never accounted for exactly how crazy some challenge submissions will get. Get over it, I was a newbie then.

Badge design credited to @killakrust

Edited by Matuchkin

21 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I don't know who that guy is, but he sounds like a real douchebag, so I'll plagiarise all of his ideas

I was so close to calling you out on calling the last guy a douchebag, but then I checked the last thread and it's you. :0.0: I'm glad to see this challenge get rebooted, I had lots of fun last time. You said no mods are allowed, although there are some planet packs I have installed and I'd like to complete the challenge on them. Are planet packs ok to use?

2 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

I was so close to calling you out on calling the last guy a douchebag, but then I checked the last thread and it's you. :0.0: I'm glad to see this challenge get rebooted, I had lots of fun last time. You said no mods are allowed, although there are some planet packs I have installed and I'd like to complete the challenge on them. Are planet packs ok to use?

Every time I think I miss something, I do. Of course planet packs are allowed. Planet abuse is strictly condoned and encouraged.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Completely bonkers ... and fun!  This really must be one of the weirdest challenges I've ever seen!

The first thread I ever make takes your praise for "most innovative". I can't believe it.

And plus: I think I have an actual chance to make this old challenge take off at a whole new level. I really wanted this to happen. :) 

Edited by Matuchkin

9 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

So what you are saying is that we have to build an over-engineered container that will fall from the edge of space, ram into the ground at something like Mach 2, survive, then release a payload? COUNT ME IN!

That's exactly what I'm saying. You're in :).

5 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

@Marschig great start. But here's a new one: can anyone make a drop pod that can survive a mach 1 crash landing? mach 2? 3? How about crashing into a body without circularising, just burning radial and steering your orbit into it from the edge of its SOI?

I think, tasks should be solved without complications :)

But this capsule can survive falling on Duna from the edge of SOI, the atmosphere helps. 

Edited by Marschig

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 2:25 PM, RedPandaz said:

Easy. Pick the planet with the heaviest atmosphere first :D

Eve lander it is :cool:

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!...

I have an idea though. If you want to keep up the speed, use fairings as the bottom of your rover capsule. Layer these fairings, something like ten of them, so that when one blows up you end up with another behind it to further break the fall. Also, it will remove drag, allowing your aircraft to get past the souposphere with a good speed up.

Edited by Matuchkin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.