FPS drops after each consecutive launch. (1.3.1)

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Nah, this is a bug. It's doing unnecessary work somewhere; recovering and re-launching should reset everything to the way it was at the previous launch.

Well yeah, this particular thing we are talking about is indeed a bug.

I was responding to @invision's general statement about KSP running worse than other games.

Also, in my RP-0 game I played, I noted my performance got instantly fixed when I activated the engines of my service model. So staging/activating engines apparently can somehow reset the performance issue? (hard to tell with heavily modded save)

Has anyone checked if the log says something important with a 'good' launch vs a 'broken' launch?

Edited by Temeter

28 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I think you've got it backwards? According to the OP the frame rate is supposed to be worse not launching from the VAB? You're saying yours is better launching from the Space Center scene?

Other games don't run heavy physics calculations, they hardly touch your CPU. This is more the nature of what KSP does rather than poor optimization. Running some shooter or something on ultimate isn't really comparable.

when i launch from the VAB the game slowly runs like crap, so i guess its backwards for me. tho reverting luanches does drop the frame rate.

doing recover-launch-recovering from space center does drop it too

launching from space center the first time keeps the frame rate more stable it seemed. 

Edited by invision

• 2 months later...

The same bug, or a bug with the same effect, also affects reverting flight to launch. If you need to revert flight you also need to go back to the space center and launch a new probe (which you can recover later) and use the map to switch to the craft you reverted to. Or revert to hangar/VAB and re-launch.

26 minutes ago, Kilhmar said:

The same bug, or a bug with the same effect, also affects reverting flight to launch. If you need to revert flight you also need to go back to the space center and launch a new probe (which you can recover later) and use the map to switch to the craft you reverted to. Or revert to hangar/VAB and re-launch.

Still having this issue?

It's gotta be something on your end, I've tried re-creating it by launching several times from the runway like you do in your video; FPS stays rock solid.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I don't see a performance hit after a bunch of consecutive launches, but I do see one after a ton of consecutive reverts, to the point of sometimes needing to restart the game.

i7-7700K GTX-1050Ti 32GB DDR.

Where were you launching from though?

The crux of the bug seems to be launching from the KSC scene by selecting the runway or the launchpad. (Which I typically never do.)

You can clearly see the fps dropping in his video, but I couldn't make it happen on my end; it's so weird. Appreciate the help trouble shooting!

3 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Where were you launching from though?

The crux of the bug seems to be launching from the KSC scene by selecting the runway or the launchpad. (Which I typically never do.)

You can clearly see the fps dropping in his video, but I couldn't make it happen on my end; it's so weird. Appreciate the help trouble shooting!

99% of the time from the SPH or VAB.  Reverts could be either to Launch or VAB/SPH.  I'll try to replicate the exact conditions and see how it behaves.  I should probably get something that shows actual FPS as well...

Launching from the SPH/VAB will not activate the bug. Only launching from the runway or launchpad, or taking control of a craft from the tracking centre.

On 2/8/2018 at 9:51 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Depends how many parts I'm launching.

The test I did was with a small plane at like 30ish parts.

So I was just getting 55-60 FPS the whole time basically.

If you hit 60 fps, I'm betting your fps is capped at 60 either by v-sync or the fps limit in the gfx settings. You may very well be incurring an fps drop for each consecutive launch, but still getting more than the cap at 60.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey i am new here and from Germany, sorry for my Englisch, but i hope you all understand me good :)

I have the same Problem like Kilhmar, i never find out, when it goes FPS Drops laggy, but i wondering me. Sometimes all run fine, and sometimes i have every 5 sec FPS Drops. 

After reading all Posts here,  I have tested. And the Problem is: When i often reverse the launch then the Problem comes up with the FPS lag (Drops) every 5 Sec.. After close the game and start again and load the savegame, all running fine. 

But when the Bug is activ, i can run it from the launching Pad or from the VAB, the bug dont go away :( only restart the Game helps to 89%, sometime i need to restart my Computer lol

And i dont think it is a mem Problem, my Brother have the Same Computer, only with a different Mem and Mainboard but we both have the I5 3570k and MSI GTX 970. He Play this Game too, and ask me, whats the Problem with the Game. I Answere "i dont know"

Greetings Wissi :)

Edited by Wissi81

31 minutes ago, Wissi81 said:

Hey i am new here and from Germany, sorry for my Englisch, but i hope you all understand me good :)

I have the same Problem like Kilhmar, i never find out, when it goes FPS Drops laggy, but i wondering me. Sometimes all run fine, and sometimes i have every 5 sec FPS Drops. 

After reading all Posts here,  I have tested. And the Problem is: When i often reverse the launch then the Problem comes up with the FPS lag (Drops) every 5 Sec.. After close the game and start again and load the savegame, all running fine. 

But when the Bug is activ, i can run it from the launching Pad or from the VAB, the bug dont go away :( only restart the Game helps to 89%, sometime i need to restart my Computer lol

And i dont think it is a mem Problem, my Brother have the Same Computer, only with a different Mem and Mainboard but we both have the I5 3570k and MSI GTX 970. He Play this Game too, and ask me, whats the Problem with the Game. I Answere "i dont know"

Greetings Wissi :)

I don't think it's going to be on our end, I think there's something going on internal to the game.  I have an i7-7700K with 32 GB of DDR4 RAM and I have the same problem.

Hopefully it's something they've addressed in the upcoming 1.4 update.

Welcome to the forum. :) Your English is a bit off but I can definitely understand you ;).  It's way better than my German!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.