KSP Weekly: The Cosmic Snake!

SQUAD

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

But something the mission creator could create a mission to simulate.

I don't suppose that means some kind of a weather system might be created in the future. Or ... does it?

You don't have to answer that :-)

21 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I don't suppose that means some kind of a weather system might be created in the future. Or ... does it?

You don't have to answer that :-)

I agree... that would be fun... but I also can guarantee if something like that is in the works, @JPLRepo and the rest of the @SQUAD team absolutely cannot answer, or comment in any way. They all have a very strict non-discloser thing they have to agree to, if I remember right.

Edited by Just Jim

9 minutes ago, regex said:

Weather in KSP confirmed.

WERE GETTING STOCK CLOUDS PEOPLE

XD

Clouds are nice.

But I want monsoons! Hurricanes! Even cheap 8-bit sound effects of rain, thunder and wind! High quality samples of real weather! Flashes of light, kerbals hiding from lightning strikes! Tsunami's! 

19 minutes ago, regex said:

Weather in KSP confirmed.

WERE GETTING STOCK CLOUDS PEOPLE

I said no such thing.

30 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I agree... that would be fun... but I also can guarantee if something like that is in the works, @JPLRepo and the rest of the @SQUAD team absolutely cannot answer, or comment in any way. They all have a very strict non-discloser thing they have to agree to, if I remember right.

That is correct.

6 hours ago, SQUAD said:
Part Failure Node (Action): This node will cause the failure of a given part at a specific moment of the mission.

The mission builder is sounding better every week!

However...

As for this Part Failure Node... 

Are you sure I don't have these nodes on several of my craft already? :huh:

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wait... something to just make parts fail? It already exists. @Angel-125's BARIS mod... makes all sorts of bad things happen... in a fun way.

But isn't it just better when accidentally blowing something up is just part of the mission?

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

Just now, JK_Kerbineer said:

But isn't it just better when accidentally blowing something up is just part of the mission?

Good point. Truth is, I'm super pumped about this mission builder... being able to stage "accidents" is just more icing on an already large cake!  :)

But BARIS is also fun.

22 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wait... something to just make parts fail? It already exists. @Angel-125's BARIS mod... makes all sorts of bad things happen... in a fun way.

Sorta, but the Expansion will have more with regards to failure functionality than that mod or any others I have seen..

4 hours ago, regex said:

how many stock-only players use RCS to control upper-stage orientation during coast? How about for general orientation? How many even know about the practice? Not many, I'd wager. Why on Kerbin would you use RCS for orientation when you have carnival-ride levels of torque in a tiny package that is basically fuel-free?

I don't claim to be in the majority, but I only use RW for station stability or small satellites/probes (and in most cases have the force limiter turned way down).  I agree that they're really OP.  I do get the occasional question from craft downloaders why I pack so much monoprop in my craft.  And I tend to use the SAS modes more judiciously so it doesn't burn through my monoprop supplies too. :P I can be way more efficient with manual flying.

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

I don't claim to be in the majority, but I only use RW for station stability or small satellites/probes (and in most cases have the force limiter turned way down).  I agree that they're really OP.  I do get the occasional question from craft downloaders why I pack so much monoprop in my craft.  And I tend to use the SAS modes more judiciously so it doesn't burn through my monoprop supplies too. :P I can be way more efficient with manual flying.

I wasn't really trying to come down on people, it's just that reaction wheels are stupidly powerful in stock. Even when I play I only use RCS for translation, especially now that we can twiddle the actuation buttons. And no, I don't think you're the majority. :P 

RO is a whole 'nother world, where reaction wheels are pretty much only good for keeping your craft pointed in the direction it's currently settled into (which they're quite useful for, to save fuel). Every upper stage that's expected to coast or at some point face tumbling (like if you ullage before igniting the engine instead of hot-staging) will pack RCS of some sort.

Anyway, I thought it'd be funny for the expected angst when all the reaction wheels fail on the pad when the player first staged...

No mention of progress/setback on the unity upgrade, however this does appear to me as the most entertaining thread in awhile. 

“Part failure”? meh. Now “funding failures” on the other hand...

Also, will the “docking bug” be reestablished as a random failure mode feature now?

15 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

They'll fit perfectly with the 2.5m oil drums!

I'm in a glass-half-full mood today. So.... *drum roll*

What if they reskin the 2.5m tanks to match!

Regarding wind: I don't know anything about programming, so I should probably just shut up on the topic. But is it not possible to overlay Kerbin (or *insert planet here*) with a normal map and let the color determine wind direction and speed?

Ive run out of likes, pls help

4 hours ago, KSK said:

What if they reskin the 2.5m tanks to match!

If they're doing a mesh switcher they could also just make both available as a switchable texture.(I haven't been keeping up with these lately)

3 hours ago, Delay said:

Regarding wind: I don't know anything about programming, so I should probably just shut up on the topic. But is it not possible to overlay Kerbin (or *insert planet here*) with a normal map and let the color determine wind direction and speed?

normal maps don't have color in the way your talking about. the colors are to determine what the offset ofacertain pint is from the 3d model.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.