KSP Weekly: The Cosmic Snake!

SQUAD

22 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

the colors are to determine what the offset ofacertain pint is from the 3d model

I know that. The way I interpret it is that the color of a normal map is used to determine the direction of a (fake) slope. Green determines up, red determines down, blue left and yellow/orange? right. But instead of using the colors to determine the direction of a slope, why not use it for wind direction?

22 hours ago, SQUAD said:
The QA team also got the chance to test another batch of Nodes for the Expansion this week, so we’ll take this opportunity, as we have in previous weeks to talk about those particular Nodes, just remember that the naming might still change:
  • Place Kerbal Node (Action Type): This node will allow you to set one specific Kerbal from the roster in orbit or on the surface of a Celestial Body. Placed Kerbals will be controllable, unless they are set as “stranded”, which will also be an option.
  • Rescue Kerbal Node (Location Type): You will be able to set the task of rescuing a stranded Kerbal on a given location using this node.  Kerbals placed with this node will not be controllable or visible in the Tracking Station until Players are fairly close to them, and in order to perform the rescue, Players will have to be within coming off rails range (default is 2.2Km) of the Kerbal’s location and then board them onto a vessel (once reaching this range, “lost” Kerbals will gain controllability). Which is the same functionality as Rescue Kerbal contracts today.
  • Crew Assignment Node (Vehicle Type): This node is basically for checking if a vessel has the right crew in the right place, i.e., Put Kerbal A on vessel B and/or put Kerbal X on Planet Y.
  • Vessel Crew Count Node (Logic Type): Using this node allows you to count a specific number of Kerbals in the crew of a mission, as well as setting the type (pilot, engineer or scientist) they need to be.
  • Vessel Stage Node (Action): This node allows you to trigger a Staging of a vessel at a given moment during the mission.
  • Science Experiment Node (Science): With this node you can have Players perform an experiment in the right situation, and also has options for a requirement to return the science to Kerbin (via recovery or data transmission), or that they simply have to perform the experiment with the selected parameters.
  • Part Failure Node (Action): This node will cause the failure of a given part at a specific moment of the mission.

The list of handy story building blocks in the expansion is getting pretty impressive! And the gold/silver/bronze stuff will be great for competitive challenges.

@JPLRepo, if you create a way of chaining one mission after another, you've got the potential for a full-on "campaign mode." Maybe a "Next Mission" button on the victory screen. Just a thought to consider.

28 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

The list of handy story building blocks in the expansion is getting pretty impressive! And the gold/silver/bronze stuff will be great for competitive challenges.

@JPLRepo, if you create a way of chaining one mission after another, you've got the potential for a full-on "campaign mode." Maybe a "Next Mission" button on the victory screen. Just a thought to consider.

Very much what I was thinking. You finish your mission at Bop, but then it tells you you have to refuel at Pol and head for Dres to save a Kerbal by such and such time. Could be anything really. Once guys get the hang of using it, I think we're gonna see some impressive creativity.

34 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

For those asking about 1.4, let's give them a little time to actually get the ball rolling.  I've heard engine updates can be significant.

The 1.4 update is required for Making History. That's all I can say about that.

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Oh, man... if something like this is possible... my head is already exploding with potential ideas!!!  :)

24 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Per KSP Weekly:  Expedition 1, "The Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion will also be released early next year." 

So looks like they aren't dragging their heels on the upgrade - yeah, I know, barring any unforeseen obstacles.

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

Huh, I wonder if Making History flexes something Unity 2017.1 provides (which 5.4 doesnt), or being able to use C#v6 + better GC was too good to pass up :P 

5 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

If they're doing a mesh switcher they could also just make both available as a switchable texture.(I haven't been keeping up with these lately)

It's been brought up before, but the texture quality problems for the stock rocket parts go beyond just the textures themselves. The models are frequently unwrapped in a way that makes any kind of fine detailing very difficult to implement without increasing the size of the textures. For instance, several parts have a large portion of the texture given over to both the top and bottom caps of the tanks, often separately, this leaves less space for the much more important sides. 

Making new textures for dozens of parts without redoing the models would be a lot of work with not that much payoff. If they are going to redo the rocket parts they should do it properly.

5 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

normal maps don't have color in the way your talking about. the colors are to determine what the offset ofacertain pint is from the 3d model.

You wouldn't use normal maps, but the idea is sound. You could use a separate texture for each atmospheric planet, each channel would control a different element of the weather. For instance, the red channel for wind speed, green for direction, blue for turbulence, and maybe alpha could control weather events (rain, snow, etc...) or something like that. Actually making the weather interact with a vessel is another matter.

5 minutes ago, DMagic said:

It's been brought up before, but the texture quality problems for the stock rocket parts go beyond just the textures themselves. The models are frequently unwrapped in a way that makes any kind of fine detailing very difficult to implement without increasing the size of the textures. For instance, several parts have a large portion of the texture given over to both the top and bottom caps of the tanks, often separately, this leaves less space for the much more important sides. 

Making new textures for dozens of parts without redoing the models would be a lot of work with not that much payoff. If they are going to redo the rocket parts they should do it properly.

You wouldn't use normal maps, but the idea is sound. You could use a separate texture for each atmospheric planet, each channel would control a different element of the weather. For instance, the red channel for wind speed, green for direction, blue for turbulence, and maybe alpha could control weather events (rain, snow, etc...) or something like that. Actually making the weather interact with a vessel is another matter.

I would like this post to signal my understanding, but I cant give anymore likes today.

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The ultimate in part failures: How about making the navball fail! Even worse, don't make it obvious!

How about when the NavBall fails, it turns into a disco ball!

That would make flying in IVA mode worth it.

Will it be possible to download missions from the web? (Probably since you could put them in the mission folder) and if so will part failures be visible when looking at the mission. Or will they be a suprise? Will there be a way to add a random failure to the misssion that you only learn what it is when it happens?

Edited by Kerbal pancake

58 minutes ago, Kerbal pancake said:

Will it be possible to download missions from the web? (Probably since you could put them in the mission folder) and if so will part failures be visible when looking at the mission. Or will they be a suprise? Will there be a way to add a random failure to the misssion that you only learn what it is when it happens?

Missions will have an export and import feature.
If someone wants to go digging into the mission file - then they could figure out what happens in the mission and any hidden mission paths. But that would be cheating...
But in game - there will be a feature to hide mission paths from the player until they become active.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:18 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

The ultimate in part failures: How about making the navball fail! Even worse, don't make it obvious!

It is for that reason alone that the Apollo pilots INSISTED that there was redundant ATTITUDE INDICATORS.

ad019.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.