KSP Weekly: The Cosmic Snake!

SQUAD

Sorry if I missed this somewhere. I did search, pinky swear! Will upgrading to a new Unity engine improve performance with large-part-count vessels or will that still be limited by CPU/physics calculations? Will it bring proper multi-threading to KSP? Cheers!

31 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

Sorry if I missed this somewhere. I did search, pinky swear! Will upgrading to a new Unity engine improve performance with large-part-count vessels or will that still be limited by CPU/physics calculations? Will it bring proper multi-threading to KSP? Cheers!

Unity 2017.1 has a very slight bump in PhysX (3.3.3 to 3.3.4) but that's not going to really do much for performance

KSP is multi-threaded already, using the job-scheduler of Unity 5 since KSP 1.1 (it was also multi-threaded before that, just less so).  Similarly the physics has been multi-threaded since KSP 1.1 with PhysX 3.3.3, with the caveat that grouped bodies are still stuck in a single thread (one vessel = one thread).

Perhaps the updated C#v6 support (even the runtime update in general) will help performance (the updated garbage collector will be nice at a minimum)

1 minute ago, NoMrBond said:

Unity 2017.1 has a very slight bump in PhysX (3.3.3 to 3.3.4) but that's not going to really do much for performance

KSP is multi-threaded already, using the job-scheduler of Unity 5 since KSP 1.1 (it was also multi-threaded before that, just less so).  Similarly the physics has been multi-threaded since KSP 1.1 with PhysX 3.3.3, with the caveat that grouped bodies are still stuck in a single thread (one vessel = one thread).

Perhaps the updated C#v6 support (even the runtime update in general) will help performance (the updated garbage collector will be nice at a minimum)

Thanks. That explains the performance issues with single, large vessels. That made me think there was no multi-threading in the game

Just now, 0111narwhalz said:

I thought single-threading was a limitation of 32-bit applications.

32-bit meant that (pre-1.1) KSP could only address ¬4GB of memory (causing much lamentation and gnashing of teeth)

Multi-threading and 32-bit limits on addressable memory are very different though

On 11/18/2017 at 12:33 PM, HebaruSan said:

@JPLRepo, if you create a way of chaining one mission after another, you've got the potential for a full-on "campaign mode." Maybe a "Next Mission" button on the victory screen. Just a thought to consider.

@JPLRepo, some ideas for mission editor nodes:

Retrieve MacGuffin Node (Action): Allows a mission creator to define an arbitrary unique object to be "retrieved" (generated) by performing some configurable action in some configurable context (e.g., a custom right click option like "Dig in the regolith" while on EVA at the equatorial Mun Arch, but also potentially traditional science collection), triggering a message dialog on success similar to the science report window. This object can then be transferred from vessel to vessel like science data.

Hand-in MacGuffin Node (Logic): Checks whether the active vessel has the specified MacGuffin just like the other mission completion nodes.

Together these would enable missions with arbitrary goals beyond collecting science or rescues. A creator could construct a plot line around a sequence of hidden artifacts, or a trail of lost data tapes, or even rapid interplanetary pizza delivery ("30 weeks or it's free!").

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.