Is it able to land on "The sun"?

15 minutes ago, Ten Key said:

Moved this to the Gameplay Questions area of the forum.

I've never actually tried it myself, but as far as I know your craft will overheat and explode long before you can get anywhere near the "surface".

If you could disable overheating or what ever other factors cause explosions (I’m not sure if debug menu will do it all) then would it work?

With heating enabled you explode far before reaching a vertical lookalike horizon. This is actually good. Otherwise landing on the Sun will inspire putz people to believe in the flat Sun theory. All jokes aside :P 

You cannot land on the Sun because I tried (v 0.90) 
So unless things have changed since then...

You explode your ship (crash) somewhat meters (kilometers) above the actual surface as viewed ala the Navball.

the answer to your question = : NO!

No. While the Sun does have an altitude that is considered the "surface", it has no collider. So there is nothing to land on. You fall right through the "surface" to negative altitudes. When you hit -250m, your vessel is automatically destroyed.

To get anywhere near landing on the Sun, you need to survive the heat, you need over 100 km/s of deltaV, and you need an engine that can provide about 10 G's of thrust. Which is all impossible without cheats.

If you turn on all the cheats, you can get to the surface -- but as I said, there is nothing there to land on.

W7vWwal.png

@bewing yes exactly, now I remember. You go into negative altitude and then explode. 

Why the 10g's of thrust though? The sun has less then twice the surface gravity of Kerbin. Surely a twr of 2.0 would suffice, although I would recommend more ofcourse.

Personally I'm not that much a fan of challenges, they're often to specific in design criteria. But I have once dreamed of something undone in this community. Take a close but defined Sma around the Sun where people are instructed to build a space lab or station within one launch, and see how big of a craft they can get there with sufficient radiators. It must be within a zone that requires a lot of radiation to keep cool, but not so close that people can't actually get there without their name being stratzenblitz or shadowzone.

Then see what people create.

1 hour ago, Helmetman said:

Personally I'm not that much a fan of challenges, they're often to specific in design criteria. But I have once dreamed of something undone in this community. Take a close but defined Sma around the Sun where people are instructed to build a space lab or station within one launch, and see how big of a craft they can get there with sufficient radiators. It must be within a zone that requires a lot of radiation to keep cool, but not so close that people can't actually get there without their name being stratzenblitz or shadowzone.

Challenges are just what people found cool to do and shared the idea with the community. Look like you have a nice idea for one.

Some thought and effort is necessary to streamline the details (the target orbit, allowed mods, score system, etc) but the satisfaction of running a successful challenge is well worth it.

14 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Challenges are just what people found cool to do and shared the idea with the community. Look like you have a nice idea for one.

Some thought and effort is necessary to streamline the details (the target orbit, allowed mods, score system, etc) but the satisfaction of running a successful challenge is well worth it.

yes :) 

If I were to manage it I would need to do some tests first. I would have to determine what the sane Sma would be in a test vessel and what will determine total score.

Only pilot, readout and by me described as "UI navigation" mods are allowed. 

I'm not to clear on how to devise a particular mod section for such a challenge.

In 1x Kerbin Solar System I play a lot of USI/NFE styled games and a separate game with KSPIE that includes USI/NFE.
But others Don't use interstellar but do use NFE for example. Or, any combination of said or any other mods out there.

So I'm not particularly sure how to create a division for all kind of different mods. If there's a challenge in that, it means who has the most mods. As the most mods will determine the variety and complexity with which one can build things. It's a vague line for me.

But I already found out reading the forums that creating a succesfull challenge, hmm, daunting to say the least. Unless more people feel this one sounded catchy?

17 minutes ago, Helmetman said:

But I already found out reading the forums that creating a succesfull challenge, hmm, daunting to say the least. Unless more people feel this one sounded catchy?

It is KSP! And like all Kerbals:

You will never know, if you not try!

The "funny" thing about is, you can go much clother to the sun as you will ever EVA a Kerbal there. Kerbals have AFAIK only 66% of max heat resistance as the lowest part.... horror:confused: (spontaneous poofploding...)

9 minutes ago, Urses said:

Radiators on Kerbals?:D

:P 

Funny. That would probably look like some kind of Sauron armour from Lord of the Rings.

I don't think it will be very useful though. Even if it would help, given any value to thermodynamics as they could be relativized to ksp even in the most cartoony version should mean that a living creature heats up critically more then any non living part available. Unless we talk about inflatable heatshields, oh wait, for that matter the heat system in KSP altogether :P 

However, a cool part for the KIS collection nonetheless, whatever one would do with it.

12 posts already and no one busted out the classic/terrible dad joke?

On 11/18/2017 at 6:34 PM, KnedlikMCPE said:

The sun have an solid surface but high and invisible. If you flying at landing speed, you theoretically can land on the sun. Dont is it true?

You just have to land at night

No, its going to be a doozie to try it out. Maybe a special mod can help.

like the real sun, you would die before impact, but if you can survive you would pass right through because its all gas and plasma, maybe you would get dragged down by all that gas.

On 19.11.2017 at 12:51 AM, Helmetman said:

:P 

Funny. That would probably look like some kind of Sauron armour from Lord of the Rings.

I think the small foldable is more useful as they don't need EC as the static ones.

On 18. 11. 2017 at 8:29 PM, MajorMushroom said:

If you could disable overheating or what ever other factors cause explosions (I’m not sure if debug menu will do it all) then would it work?

Yea but the problem is there is no cheat that tottaly disables demage at landing

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Umm...I'm pretty sure there is a button for "No crash damage" as well as "Unbreakable joints."

Not sure what else you would need?

yea but this buttons dont work every time you crash

On 20. 11. 2017 at 2:54 PM, fourfa said:

12 posts already and no one busted out the classic/terrible dad joke?

You just have to land at night

maybe black hole?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.