Fastest to Ocean!!!

This is a challenge where you go from launch pad to splash down the ocean as fast as possible.

Rules.

1: No cheats

2: From time of first spacebar to splash down

3: Stock in game clock.

4: Mods allowed, separate category

5: must be kerballed

6: kerbal must survive the entire time to count.

7: action groups allowed

Good luck

my attempt is ten seconds, didn't expect him to survive at 50 m/s 

LeaderBoard:

1: Eidahlil 0s

2: Russax 8s

Edited by rockets-don't-make-toast

3 minutes ago, rockets-don't-make-toast said:

Good job, but what are the mods and what do they do?

Here's the craft file, if you wanna try it yourself, all stock: https://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Diver

The mods are not relevant to the challenge, except for MechJeb info readout:

• MechJeb, which shows the info readouts you see, it also has autopilot capabilities which were not used.
  • BDArmory, includes weapon and related parts.
  • Physics Range Extender, increases the range at which vessels are loaded, a dependency of BDA.
  • VesselMover, includes tools to move landed vehicles around. You can clearly see in the video the vessel is above the launchpad.

1 hour ago, Eidahlil said:

Here's the craft file, if you wanna try it yourself, all stock: https://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Diver

The mods are not relevant to the challenge, except for MechJeb info readout:

• MechJeb, which shows the info readouts you see, it also has autopilot capabilities which were not used.
  • BDArmory, includes weapon and related parts.
  • Physics Range Extender, increases the range at which vessels are loaded, a dependency of BDA.
  • VesselMover, includes tools to move landed vehicles around. You can clearly see in the video the vessel is above the launchpad.

I tried to do better time but while doing so design gets more complicated and final result is that vessel is very unstable. I wanted to make design similar to yours but also have seated kerbal to save some mass.

6 hours ago, RussaX said:

I wanted to make design similar to yours but also have seated kerbal to save some mass.

Well, the cockpit I used has an impact tolerance of 40m/s, which lets me hit the water that much faster. I've seen videos in the forums of kerbals ditching in the water at high speeds, but I'm not sure what the exact mechanics are, and what can the kerbal survive.

I'm guessing the way to do it faster is to use a catapult, so you don't have to accelerate your own engines. And with a catapult reducing mass gives quite a big advantage in TWR. So I'm looking forward to seeing your external seat design. :)

Meanwhile, a 0:04 catapult with a cockpit (craft file: https://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Diver4 )

37 minutes ago, rockets-don't-make-toast said:

it's first spacebar, not just clamps

So if we build a rover, and get to the ocean without staging.....

Kidding aside, I managed to improve my time a bit using a command seat. We're gonna need a better clock, because mine still shows zero by the time I get there.

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Diver58

Underwater physics are a bit weird.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.