KSP 64-bit crashing right after Squad Loading screen

3 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

Is there a good way to find out which one is causing it without having to go through 70+ of them uninstalling and reinstalling and restarting?

Open your GameData folder ... Highlight half the mods in it (not the Squad folder) ... Cut and move those mods to a temporary directory OUTSIDE of your KSP install ... start game

If game crashes then the mod causing the problem is in the remaining mods ... repeat cut and move of half the remaining mods

If game doesn't crash then the mod causing you problems is in the group of mods you cut and moved ... cut and move all remaining mod folders in your GameData (not the Squad folder) to a second directory outside of your KSP install then move half of the mods from your first cut and move nack to your GameData and go through the above steps

I'm sure you get the idea ... you should be able to narrow down the list and figure out whuch mod is being beligerent within 20 minutes or so depending on how fast KSP loads between mod removals

Good luck :)

1 hour ago, Murdabenne said:

Binary search. Problem is some mods depend on others. Accidentally remove a dependency and you get a different problem.  I guess there really isn't a "simple" solution.  Kerbal-ism at its best.

In that case the appropriate thing to do would to remove or include those mods that are dependancies in one batch so as to rule them out 

I basically punted.  I backed up my GameData, then emptied it of everything except Squad. Then I got CKAN, and installed groups of mods at a time and booted the game up. I started out loading all the baseline dependencies first, since they are least likely to be a problem (stuff like USICore USITools NFE Core, etc) and other things that don't mess with the interface or gameplay. Then I added in all the parts kits since they are unlikely to be a problem. And then after starting the game and making sure I didn't get the crash, I added in widely used things like KAC KIS KAS MechJeb etc since they are not likely the problem or else ther  would be a lot more reports. So that gives me a good baseline of "yeah this runs and its got a lot of what I want".  Save that as a CKAN list, so the next time I have to start from scratch, I know those will load without a problem.  Then I started loading in the harder things in small related groups - like Eve + Scatterer + TextureReplaceReplaced + DOE as one set, then all the OPM stuff, saving my list as "known good". Then I started things like the "gameplay enhancements" - and that's where I found the crasher, in my "ease-of-use" shipbuilding group (CBK, HE, EER, FE, JanitorCloset, etc).  Turns out it was Filter Extensions which is being reworked by LinuxGuruGamer due to its awkward code/data structure and an apparently very difficult conversion to use multiple languages.

So lesson learned: add CKAN to your testing toolbox, since it can handle complex installs and complex dependencies for you, and remember (with a bit of input) what your last "known good" mod loadout was.

Edited by Murdabenne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.