[1.6.1 | 1.5.1 | 1.4.5 | 1.3.1] The World Beyond Development Thread [v1.1.1 - 2018-10-31]

TheProtagonists

Just wanted to say, this mod looks absolutely brilliant!

On your release notes, you mention making sets of long range antennas. Do you really feel this is entirely necessary? There are already mods out there (JX2Antenna as an example) that already do a great job of this, would it not be more expediant to simply use that, or even make a custom config for such a mod to increase the range if you're unhappy with it?

47 minutes ago, DracoSilverpath said:

JX2Antenna

Largest antenna there has a range of 1Tm.

Dawn is 42Tm away.

Even the longest ranged antenna in KSPI has a range of about 50Tm, which still isn't enough to reach the furthest stars.

and adding MM config to any antenna would just make them too OP for the early game and will cause all sort of compatibility issues with other planet mods that changes antenna ranges.

20 minutes ago, TheProtagonists said:

Dawn is 42Tm away.

Even the longest ranged antenna in KSPI has a range of about 50Tm, which still isn't enough to reach the furthest stars.

and adding MM config to any antenna would just make them too OP for the early game and will cause all sort of compatibility issues with other planet mods that changes antenna ranges.

Ahh  I see, fair enough! :) Either way, can't wait till this is released! Also, have you gotten around to making resource maps for the planets yet? I'm looking forward to making an intergalactic mining empire on some of these.

16 minutes ago, DracoSilverpath said:

Ahh  I see, fair enough! :) Either way, can't wait till this is released! Also, have you gotten around to making resource maps for the planets yet? I'm looking forward to making an intergalactic mining empire on some of these.

Worry not! I have already finished resources on all the planets, and they will support CRP, TheGoldStandard, EL and FFT resources should you use them.

On 4/13/2018 at 8:01 AM, TheProtagonists said:

Dawn is 42Tm away.

I'm sure there will come a point where no antenna's range can extend anymore and the only option would be to have a mega control hub with at least 2 pilots aboard so it can substitute for Kerbin's DSN and allow for controlling unmanned vessels anywhere within Dawn's SOI. I believe there's an unavoidable falloff that limits how much any antenna's range can reach.

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm sure there will come a point where no antenna's range can extend anymore and the only option would be to have a mega control hub with at least 2 pilots aboard so it can substitute for Kerbin's DSN and allow for controlling unmanned vessels anywhere within Dawn's SOI. I believe there's an unavoidable falloff that limits how much any antenna's range can reach.

Even if you could get the signal out that far even, the signal delay alone would make it next to useless I'd think as well. (Edit: Forgot delay wasn't a stock commNet feature, too used to RT!)

Edited by DracoSilverpath

10 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Obviously Kerbin's DSN won't be enough... but I think the simple approach would be just to put a commsat constellation around Kerbin with those very long range antennas, so you don't have to buff or mess with the DSN's range.

At least that's what I think it would be logical to do, unless I got something wrong...

13 minutes ago, TheProtagonists said:

Obviously Kerbin's DSN won't be enough... but I think the simple approach would be just to put a commsat constellation around Kerbin with those very long range antennas, so you don't have to buff or mess with the DSN's range.

At least that's what I think it would be logical to do, unless I got something wrong...

Its definitely an option I suppose, but not entirely necessary in my opinion. As stated before, I think the best overall solution is to have a remote control station in the other solar system themselves, and assume control with those. Stock can do this easily enough with the right command pod, and with remotetech, its only marginally more difficult to do so as well.

Another quick question~ the EVE/Scatteret configs you have, do they cover stock planets as well? I ask cause many packs like OPM, Extrasolar , etc seem to bork up other EVE/Scatterer configs without compatibility patches. Perhaps you've tested it against other visual mods like SVE, Astronomer's, GEA, Spectra, Sci-Fi Visual enhancements?

13 hours ago, DracoSilverpath said:

Another quick question~ the EVE/Scatteret configs you have, do they cover stock planets as well? I ask cause many packs like OPM, Extrasolar , etc seem to bork up other EVE/Scatterer configs without compatibility patches. Perhaps you've tested it against other visual mods like SVE, Astronomer's, GEA, Spectra, Sci-Fi Visual enhancements?

Yes. I have tested and they are expected to work with any other visual mod.

The biggest problem right now is that scatterer just isn't very stable in 1.4, so I'm waiting for an update and see how things will look after that.

I have an idea for an expansion: 1 yellow Sol like star with a binary planet system were both planets look like Earth, but one has Eve's color pallet the other is photo-negative of the real Earth, the star system would be about 125Tm out from Kerbol. What do you think TheProtagonists?

Edited by Nyarlathotep-
Something I forgot to mention.

14 hours ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

I have an idea for an expansion: 1 yellow Sol like star with a binary planet system were both planets look like Earth, but one has Eve's color pallet the other is photo-negative of the real Earth, the star system would be about 125Tm out from Kerbol. What do you think TheProtagonists?

Just an idea for getting them to be a proper binary planet system you could add a very elongated moon in the middle and have it spin so that its always pointing at the planets.

6 hours ago, Nucleartaxi said:

Just wondering, will this be compatible with GPP?

It is, in the basic deal that it will not clash with GPP over anything, and it will not be unloaded by GPP (concerning alphabetic loading sequences of mods).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.