Jump to content

[WIP] K.E.A.M. Kerbal Expdandable Activity Module


Recommended Posts

zAbj1y7.png

 

This thread has moved and merged with KA-330 to become "Kerbalow Aerospace."
Please visit the new forum thread here:

 

 

 

Welcome to the development thread for Kerbalow Aerospace's Kerbal Expandable Activity Module

Please feel free to leave any comments, questions or suggestions you may have for this project.

 

As you may have guessed, this is a re-creation of the BEAM module from Bigelow Aerospace.

The KEAM module is, at stock scale, 1.25-meters. As such, it will fit with any 1.25-meter docking port you wish to attach to it.

The module fits stowed into any 2-meter payload pay by both upper and lower attachment nodes. 

This is an animated inflating/expanding module. Do NOT attempt inflation/expansion while anything is still attached to the bottom node. 

The bottom node is only there for payload stowage purposes.

I also take no responsibility for any problems with your save games related to this part (there should be none...)

 

gPXZLVb.png

 

Features:

4x Unique Science Experiments

  • Distributed Impact Detection System
  • Deployment Dynamic Sensors
  • Wireless Temperature Sensors
  • Radiation Environment Monitor

Kerbal Inventory System Storage Space Compatibility

Connected Living Space Compatibility

Tweakscale Compatibility

 

KEAM is 100% Dependent upon Textures Unlimited by @Shadowmage

 

Installation:

Extract the contents of the GameData folder to your GameData folder. Structure should then read GameData\KEAM
 
Optional Connected Living Space Compatibility Installation:
 
Place the file KEAM-CLS.cfg inside the OptionalConfigs folder into the GameData\KEAM directory
 
Optional Tweakscale Compatibility Installation:
 
Place the file KEAM-tweakscale.cfg inside the OptionalConfigs folder into the GameData\KEAM directory
 
K.E.A.M. is also compatible with Kerbal Inventory System as well as Kerbal Attachment system.
Please visit their respective websites to download those add-ons or acquire via CKAN.
 
 
Download      lya77iI.png      Download      CtSw3OH.png
 
 
 
 
 
 
A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU TO:
@CobaltWolf, @Nertea, @Shadowmage  and all the other devs who continue to be an amazing part of the mod process!
 
 
7m8gBII.gif
 
 
KEAM is License CC-BY-4.0

 

 

 

Edited by bcink
KA-330/KEAM Merge to Kerbalow Aerospace
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@bcink Try doing "deployanimationcontroller = -1"

Do you even know what the numbers mean ? If it would even work it would be 0 has the docking node is MODULE is 0 that's how you would target it with a MM but docking is not a animation  but Porkjets used a plugin you can find his work here 

Also

@bcink You might look here

there using the USI Tools plugin and the modules looks like

	MODULE
	{
		name = USIAnimation
		deployAnimationName = Inflato1Inflate
		inflatable = true
		CrewCapacity = 6
	}

 

Edited by Mecripp
Edited added @bcink
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mecripp I may have been overthinking it. I don't think I will need to do anything special since no aspect of the animation will prevent docking (the docking port is always available despite inflation.) I'm not sure the complexity of the USI plugin but I unless there is something that limits a docking port from having a crew capacity of 1, a simple config file may be able to do this just fine. Imported to Kerbal and aligned the attach node this morning. Need to configure a control transform and see if it can hold crew next.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bcink said:

@Mecripp I may have been overthinking it. I don't think I will need to do anything special since no aspect of the animation will prevent docking (the docking port is always available despite inflation.) I'm not sure the complexity of the USI plugin but I unless there is something that limits a docking port from having a crew capacity of 1, a simple config file may be able to do this just fine. Imported to Kerbal and aligned the attach node this morning. Need to configure a control transform and see if it can hold crew next.

That was a lot of it was to not have a crew unless it was inflated, I'm pretty sure or for it to not spawn a crew unless inflated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW although you're doing fine with the hand-unwrapping you should look into UVW-unwrapping utilities. A few years ago there were only a few and the ones that worked were quite expensive, today there seem to be dozens and the costs are much lower, I've seen ones with good ratings for <$50. Those UVs above can be done with literally just a couple clicks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

BTW although you're doing fine with the hand-unwrapping you should look into UVW-unwrapping utilities. A few years ago there were only a few and the ones that worked were quite expensive, today there seem to be dozens and the costs are much lower, I've seen ones with good ratings for <$50. Those UVs above can be done with literally just a couple clicks.

Ah yes, I briefly looked at this before, I would really like to try one out on a model before buying?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2017 at 4:02 PM, bcink said:

Is there a way to mimic the shielded docking port (deployanimationcontrol=1) but in reverse?

Hmm... you know... I think there may be.  There are a about 30 animation related controls on the docking port regarding animations.  None of them have any documentation of course, but I'll do some investigation to see if any of them relate to a 'play animation once docked / prior to undocking'.

If I might inquire, what effect are you trying to accomplish with this?  (I'm envisioning some latches that flip into place after docking has occurred?)

 

Edit:  If anything, it would appear that this might be the config field you are looking for (in ModuleDockingNode):

[KSPField]
public bool animUndockOn;

I haven't played with it personally.  From the field stub that I can see, it has a default value of 'false'.  I would infer that it toggles the docking port animation from being a 'pre-dock' to a 'post-dock' animation.  No clue what animation starting/ending states are expected (might need to reverse the anims in Unity/Blender for them to work).

Edited by Shadowmage
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Hmm... you know... I think there may be.  There are a about 30 animation related controls on the docking port regarding animations.  None of them have any documentation of course, but I'll do some investigation to see if any of them relate to a 'play animation once docked / prior to undocking'.

If I might inquire, what effect are you trying to accomplish with this?  (I'm envisioning some latches that flip into place after docking has occurred?)

 

Edit:  If anything, it would appear that this might be the config field you are looking for (in ModuleDockingNode):

[KSPField]
public bool animUndockOn;

I haven't played with it personally.  From the field stub that I can see, it has a default value of 'false'.  I would infer that it toggles the docking port animation from being a 'pre-dock' to a 'post-dock' animation.  No clue what animation starting/ending states are expected (might need to reverse the anims in Unity/Blender for them to work).

I don't think it's necessary. My thought train was something along the lines of not allowing it to inflate unless it was docked. but it's such a minor thing I'm not even certain it's worth pursuing. I don't think the little docking clips will clamp down in this animation. Wasn't going for something quite that advanced, just a little side thing on the back of my mind I wanted to whip out before the next project which I'm more excited about...

Y5Arxkv.gif

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the grapple fixtures functional? If not, I'm sure @cxg2827 would be happy to help you with compatibility with the ones in CxAerospace. I really like your texturing BTW, it has a stockalike look to it, similar to the aforementioned mod. Is it meant for cargo (KIS storage space), crew, science (experiments investigating the validity of inflatable spacecraft, much like the ones going on in BEAM IRL), or a bit of all?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:33 PM, hieywiey said:

Are the grapple fixtures functional?

Thank you!! I don't believe those grapples are actually movable on the real module. This picture shows they are positioned correctly and to me it looks like they do not have the ability to rotate on an angle as they would be folding over that outer ring?

 beam_0.jpg

They pan away from the docking port in the installation video, but it does not appear as though they are clamping on either,

 

If you can locate any more definitive information I wouldn't object to making them animated - I just didn't think they were. Wiki on Passive Common Berthing Mechanism reads: The passive half [PCBM] contains the inert elements required to complete the berthing and closure action.

As far as capabilities I would like to add pretty much all of those things. Definitely, crew will be limited to one Kerbal. I'll have to see exactly what fancy business I can do with science experiments.

 

Edited by bcink
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 Unique science experiments taken directly from the real BEAM module

Store things! (with Kerbal Inventory System)

Connected living space compatibility

1 Kerbal storage capacity

Three informational displays

CX Aerospace CBM 1.25 sized passive common berthing mechanism

Recommended operation: Remove from SpaceX Dragon equivalent trunk or other payload carrier using Canadarm and it's magnetic grapple and subsequently attach to common berthing mechanism.

Textures unlimited required for this model. KIS/KAS recommended along with a Canadarm or Infernal Robotics arm / grappler.

 

I just need to verify the docking functionality works and the thing is very close to release.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...