Docking port distance reset?

So this problem arises with my folding wing SSTO, and the basics of it are that after undocking the bottom ports to fold the craft up, it refuses to fold back down as the docking ports haven't moved 10m from each other. 

2hKR8os.png

Any tips other than f5 + f9? Id greatly appreciate it if 'theres a mod for that' came into effect here.

That's weird, I have a similar design for a stock rotating wing VTOL and I think it's docking ports are even closer than that but it works fine. (It's ugly as all sin, I know...it's a prototype lol; cut it some slack!)

8BDB433F1FE7551D807412358F768203DF18083A

I wonder what the difference is? Anyways, I've heard people claim that "controlling from here" on the docking ports involved can help fix the issue.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

3 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

That's weird, I have a similar design for a stock rotating wing VTOL and I think it's docking ports are even closer than that but it works fine. (It's ugly as all sin, I know...it's a prototype lol; cut it some slack!)

8BDB433F1FE7551D807412358F768203DF18083A

I wonder what the difference is? Anyways, I've heard people claim that "controlling from here" on the docking ports involved can help fix the issue.

im starting to think that the distance bubble is more like a cone, because this problem does not occur on one of my other crafts and the cone theory works on yours and mine. Neat vtol though.

7 minutes ago, Not Sure said:

im starting to think that the distance bubble is more like a cone, because this problem does not occur on one of my other crafts and the cone theory works on yours and mine. Neat vtol though.

Hmm...that could very well be, good observation! I found a mod post that confirmed the 10m separation distance, but perhaps we could get more clarification of the mechanism behind this?

Nice SSTO too! Certainly way more practical than my clunky VTOL.

I also have a shuttle that carries it's wing up vertically on it's back and then re-docks with it horizontally in space so it can re-enter and fly home as well. Not to hijack your thread, but you seem like one of the few people who would appreciate it (Silly/impractical as it is) lol. I'll put a pic in the spoiler on the off chance it interests you.

Spoiler

37F9E605DF131ED9F8C4E295045D75916FB538F3

7F01168815DD541737420F319983742328057EC0

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

2 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Hmm...that could very well be, good observation! I found a mod post that confirmed the 10m separation distance, but perhaps we could get more clarification of the mechanism behind this?

Nice SSTO too! Certainly way more practical than my clunky VTOL.

I also have a shuttle that carries it's wing up vertically on it's back and then re-docks with it horizontally in space so it can re-enter and fly home as well. Not to hijack your thread, but you seem like one of the few people who would appreciate it (Silly/impractical as it is) lol. I'll put a pic in the spoiler on the off chance it interests you.

Wow, that is quite an interesting shuttle! Must have been interesting to take up there. 

On 11/19/2017 at 6:52 PM, Not Sure said:

Any tips other than f5 + f9?

Well, you could use ModuleManager to tweak the reset distance on docking ports to something smaller.

If being able to visualize the behavior would be helpful, you may want to consider IndicatorLights.  Among other things, it adds glowing LEDs to the docking ports to indicate their status.  They blink rapidly when the docking field engages.  After undocking, they blink slowly until the ports have reset.  So that can at least let you know when you've nailed it.  (The mod also adds indicators to tons of other parts besides docking ports, but if you don't like that, you can easily whittle it down by just deleting all the .cfg files for everything except the ports, if you like.)

10 hours ago, Snark said:

Well, you could use ModuleManager to tweak the reset distance on docking ports to something smaller.

If being able to visualize the behavior would be helpful, you may want to consider IndicatorLights.  Among other things, it adds glowing LEDs to the docking ports to indicate their status.  They blink rapidly when the docking field engages.  After undocking, they blink slowly until the ports have reset.  So that can at least let you know when you've nailed it.  (The mod also adds indicators to tons of other parts besides docking ports, but if you don't like that, you can easily whittle it down by just deleting all the .cfg files for everything except the ports, if you like.)

I was thinking about that when i saw your post in the last thread lol, not a bad mod at all. thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.