StarMods: Textures Unlimited!

SQUAD

16 minutes ago, regex said:

Seems like something that should have been in the base game...

Oh wait, that's right...

I hope you have that piece of text on your desktop for easy copypasta, I can see that turn of phrase being appropriate for a lot of things which require a mod currently.

This sort of thing hardly slows down the game at all, especially compared to the slowdown due to having a couple too many parts. The `must run on potato` argument is starting to really be invalid for graphical upgrades these days. I am running RO/RP0/RSSVE/scatterer/RSS with 8k textures on a graphics card that cost about £60. When I was looking I could not find many cards worse than it, some which were lower spec were the same price. I really did get pretty much the cheapest, worst card I could because I plan on replacing it as soon as I can afford to.

Anyway...

This mod looks really good, I hope many other mods make use of it.

/In other news I am trying Principia, it is really nice and much more polished than the last time I considered it. Just sending a probe to Jupiter to let it get affected by loads of moons :wink: Want to try and attain orbit around the moon with a ballistic capture. Thanks for reminding me about it.

1 hour ago, regex said:

Seems like something that should have been in the base game...

Oh wait, that's right...

At the very least, I expected some visual polishing like this to go down prior to experiencing the 4-month, zero-updates Beta phase and eventual rush to 1.0 release.  The state of the visuals in this game is really, really bad.

1 hour ago, Agustin said:

Which parts are those? Also what parts are in the op of this thread?

The sputnik-alike one looks like Shadowmages - Textures Unlimited shaders on stock parts (Stayputnik/4x Communotron 16's/reactionwheel/Z-200 battery/2x OX-4L 1x6 Photovoltaic Panels/xenontank/PB-ION engine)

Not sure about the part/s in the second picture

2 hours ago, Agustin said:

ANd where are the CFG files or else that appplies the mod for those parts?

Huh?

The config files that apply the shader to SSTU parts is provided with the SSTU-PBR expansion.

There is also a set of config files that apply the shader to stock parts available somewhere in the TU thread (though there are some issues with it at the moment)(I did not author them and offer no support for them; see the author for support).

Few more pics of some of the visual enhancements that TU offers...

LkJkiEw.png

(ambient backlight from EVE, very visible on the station parts)

jkIJUvj.png

Epic views with back-lit solar panels... (sub-surface scattering shader)

fFJNH2D.png

And generally just more enjoyable visuals overall... (early/WIP img; only about half the parts in this shot are using the new shaders)

VbF1Usq.png

32 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

So this mod by itself doesn't do anything?

Yep, isn't it great :)  (which is why it is labeled as an API -- it is an interface and framework for others to make use of)

For best effect it requires new textures to be authored that take advantage of all of the features, and are authored in a proper PBR-based workflow (no lighting details in the DIFF texture, specular texture becomes 'smoothness', all new 'metallic' texture needed, AO in its own separate texture).  Simply not something I can do for other mods, especially as the layered sources for their texture assets are rarely/ever available (.psd/.xcf).  It was written specifically for my main  parts mod (SSTU), but after a few requests to spin it off to its own plugin/mod release, I did just that.

There are however some stock-conversion patches available by @Electrocutor in the TU thread (might have to scroll back a page or two to find them).  They apply the new shaders to all of the stock parts, but re-use the existing stock textures (along with some configs to fill in for the missing NRM/SPEC/MET maps).  Results in fairly substantial improvements (or at least differences) when using the stock parts.  Not all are perfect, but he's done the best he can when working with the existing stock textures.

Stock .craft file, using PBR shaders with the stock textures:

nU0aB69.png

Ah! So that's why I didn't see any difference! Grabbing the cfgs now :)

On 11/22/2017 at 3:24 PM, Shadowmage said:

There are however some stock-conversion patches available by @Electrocutor in the TU thread (might have to scroll back a page or two to find them).  They apply the new shaders to all of the stock parts, but re-use the existing stock textures (along with some configs to fill in for the missing NRM/SPEC/MET maps).  Results in fairly substantial improvements (or at least differences) when using the stock parts.  Not all are perfect, but he's done the best he can when working with the existing stock textures.

Stock .craft file, using PBR shaders with the stock textures:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.