KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Well that certainly answers my question. Looking on NewEgg, I can say that a high-caliber Intel core is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Thanks for the info!

Remember KSP (for now) uses only one thread, so if running KSP better is your goal, even the more simple Intels should do. An i3 or maybe even the right Pentium could do the trick. Just do not expect crazy performance in modern triple A games.

Remember KSP (for now) uses only one thread, so if running KSP better is your goal, even the more simple Intels should do. An i3 or maybe even the right Pentium could do the trick. Just do not expect crazy performance in modern triple A games.

Well the thing is, literally every other game besides KSP runs great on my current CPU. As such, I'm not gonna buy a new part to address KSP's very unique single-core-speed issue when in reality, it won't be an issue in (I assume) a year or less :)

Edited by Slam_Jones
Clarity

I built a computer from bits friends had lying about. my specs:

Intel q6600 quad processor

Gigabyte G33-S2M motherboard

Nvidia gtx 9600 + 1GB

4GB DDR2 RAM

Ubuntu 14.04, duel boot with Elementary OS luna, thinking about totally switching soon.

I like to tell my friends it's custom spec, but really it's Old bits put together.

Edited by kerbingamer376

Workstation/Overkill Gaming rig recently completed. Haven't seen how KSP runs on it yet though.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Full specs:

• i7-5960X @ 4.5GHz 1.26v
  • Corsair H100i
  • ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme mobo
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz
  • EVGA GTX 980 SC x2 in SLI
  • Corsair AX1200i PSU
  • Corsair 780T Case
  • Corsair Force GS Series 240GB SSD x2 in RAID 0
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD Mass storage
  • WD Green 2TB HDD RAID 1 over all drives

X99 is amaze ballz, and the 5960X overclocks amazingly well. I did win the silicone lottery though, 1.26v is very low for 4.5GHz on this chip, so i'm very lucky with that.

Workstation/Overkill Gaming rig recently completed. Haven't seen how KSP runs on it yet though.

http://imgur.com/a/1aNUT

Full specs:

• i7-5960X @ 4.5GHz 1.26v
  • Corsair H100i
  • ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme mobo
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz
  • EVGA GTX 980 SC x2 in SLI
  • Corsair AX1200i PSU
  • Corsair 780T Case
  • Corsair Force GS Series 240GB SSD x2 in RAID 0
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD Mass storage
  • WD Green 2TB HDD RAID 1 over all drives

X99 is amaze ballz, and the 5960X overclocks amazingly well. I did win the silicone lottery though, 1.26v is very low for 4.5GHz on this chip, so i'm very lucky with that.

What no quad-sli GTX Titan Z? :P

Dream PC spec right there. If I had to pick a nit, I'd say there's not enough SSD space.

And the glowing case isn't my thing, but that's purely practical - I sleep in the same room as my computer and sometimes leave it on overnight. I went to the extent of disconnecting the power and HDD lights on my current because they were too bright.

Here's a more IT specific question if anyone can help. I'd like to be able to access my IP security cameras when I'm off my home network. Should just be a simple matter of opening up port 80 according to my software. However, my ISP sucks and tells me they can't open up just that port, that I'd have to buy & configure my own hardware firewall, then they just open EVERYTHING up and wash their hands of it. So fine, whatever.

So Can anyone recommend a good, easy to setup hardware firewall or give me some other pointers (other than "get a new ISP")? I'm no IT guy but I'm comfortable configuring IPs and switches & such.

Most ISPs will provide you with a wireless router for your home. They vary, some are a bit rubbish, but they'll almost always have port forwarding options, and by default will firewall all incoming traffic.

If your ISP is rubbish and have only given you a pure modem - which is basically unheard of in Britain nowadays but maybe it's common in other countries - then you'll have to get your own wireless router. Check what sort you need - an ADSL router will connect directly to your phone line, while a cable router will connect to a modem by ethernet.

As for what router to get, well it depends what you want. I find the "big name" hardware is often needlessly limited and dumbed down, but then I have knowledge and confidence in configuring stuff. I highly rate Draytek routers, but they aren't cheap or simple. Edimax and TP-Link are cheap brands yet they offer plenty of features.

To give you some comparisons of the kind of stuff I mean:

I have a Virgin Media (Isp) "Business" router will do port forwarding (eg port 80 on the web to port 80 on a certain PC) but will not do port redirection (eg port 8000 on the web to port 80 on a certain PC). It will only let you give a limited number of devices fixed IP addresses on your network. I have a Draytek router that will do port redirection, unlimited devices having fixed IP addresses, and much much more.

I have a Netgear (big name) wireless range extender. It only works when connected to an existing wireless network, and then devices can connect to the range extender by either wireless or cables. I have an Edimax (cheap brand) wireless access point that will do all that, OR can be connected to an existing wired network and create a new wireless network where otherwise you have none.

Basically any consumer router is capable of forwarding specific ports while blocking all others as part of their firewall functionality. I'm fairly shocked that the hardware supplied by your ISP does not support this.

My ISP sucks. I'm lucky to get a third of my nominal 14-meg speed, my router constantly has to be rebooted cuz it "forgets" what's connected to it, and I'm stuck with wireless-g and "not in the area eligible for upgrade." The joys of doing business with an independent, small-town phone company. I think the hardware supports it, but the ISP does not, and they have full control of the router. I can't even access it.

Most ISPs will provide you with a wireless router for your home. They vary, some are a bit rubbish, but they'll almost always have port forwarding options, and by default will firewall all incoming traffic.

If your ISP is rubbish and have only given you a pure modem - which is basically unheard of in Britain nowadays but maybe it's common in other countries - then you'll have to get your own wireless router. Check what sort you need - an ADSL router will connect directly to your phone line, while a cable router will connect to a modem by ethernet.

As for what router to get, well it depends what you want. I find the "big name" hardware is often needlessly limited and dumbed down, but then I have knowledge and confidence in configuring stuff. I highly rate Draytek routers, but they aren't cheap or simple. Edimax and TP-Link are cheap brands yet they offer plenty of features.

To give you some comparisons of the kind of stuff I mean:

I have a Virgin Media (Isp) "Business" router will do port forwarding (eg port 80 on the web to port 80 on a certain PC) but will not do port redirection (eg port 8000 on the web to port 80 on a certain PC). It will only let you give a limited number of devices fixed IP addresses on your network. I have a Draytek router that will do port redirection, unlimited devices having fixed IP addresses, and much much more.

I have a Netgear (big name) wireless range extender. It only works when connected to an existing wireless network, and then devices can connect to the range extender by either wireless or cables. I have an Edimax (cheap brand) wireless access point that will do all that, OR can be connected to an existing wired network and create a new wireless network where otherwise you have none.

I do have a router/modem, but the ISP controls it. They can't/won't simply open the one port for outside access.

What, you're given a router but no ability to configure it? Daheck? If my ISP had told me that I'd have cancelled the contract. It's a reasonable expectation that a home router will have user-accessible configuration.

Yup. I actually ordered Comcast when we first moved here. They called me back, told me there was no line on this side of the street, and cancelled my order. So I went thru the phone company. Next day the Comcast guy shows up to hook up the canceled order, points to the pole right next to my house and says, "yeah, the line's right there."