KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

So playing only KSP, I'd be better off with a i7-7700 and GTX 1060 3 GB instead of i5-7400 and GTX 1070 8 GB, all other specs being equal? Both rigs are on sale at roughly equal price. I play KSP and Minecraft almost exclusively, and have had no problems running my other games on a now defunct Radeon HD 6990.

Edited by Freshmeat

I would avoid both CPUs since they are outdated and offer only 4 cores for a high price. Since for both Minecraft&KSP high single core speed is important i would go with an i5 8600k or i7 8700k for maximum performance...

If you realy have to buy one of those prebuilds the first one would be a little bit faster for KSP, but way, way worse for all other games you may want to play in the next years. I would never buy a PC for your current needs, but also for those to come.

23 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

So playing only KSP, I'd be better off with a i7-7700 and GTX 1060 3 GB instead of i5-7400 and GTX 1070 8 GB, all other specs being equal? Both rigs are on sale at roughly equal price. I play KSP and Minecraft almost exclusively, and have had no problems running my other games on a now defunct Radeon HD 6990.

only build a pc because its not doing something you want it to do. the 1060 is a nice card it just wont be able to hold as much texture memory as the 1070. this mostly means it wont play 4K very well due from lack of ram. but 1080p will be fine. i gamed on a 3 gig card myself and never had memory issues with any game.

the 1070 is gaming card that can play almost all modern games to their best quality settings at 1440p or higher

1 hour ago, conradbethel said:

So, Harry Rhodan, What would you like to suggest? 

You can try finding a used one. But you would need to know about at least some of the hardware to not buy completely outdated stuff for too much money and most of the lower grade consumer notebooks will have a much worse build quality than your Dell Latitude (which professionally refurbished and depending on the configuration is still sold for 400-600€ here). Another option would be to buy a tower PC, which is a bit cheaper and gives you the option to upgrade parts over time. But a budget of 500$ including a display is still pretty tight.

And the obvious question when dealing with tight budgets would be: what are you trying to do with this machine? If it is only for KSP you could get away with a comparatively cheap dual core processor that might completely break apart when dealing with a modern AAA title.

4 hours ago, conradbethel said:

@Deddly I am from the the US. Use for college assignment and normal gaming like Minecarft etc

Oh, well Minecraft doesn't need much in the way of power, and depending on your college assignments, you probably don't need much power there, either. If you need it for serious work as well as a few not-too-heavy games, I would suggest a secondhand busuness laptop, since it will be a higher quality compared to most consumer devices. Something like a Thinkpad T460 like this one on Ebay would be great for Minecraft, and it should do KSP pretty well, too. How important is KSP to you for your laptop?

5 hours ago, Deddly said:

Oh, well Minecraft doesn't need much in the way of power, and depending on your college assignments, you probably don't need much power there, either. If you need it for serious work as well as a few not-too-heavy games, I would suggest a secondhand busuness laptop, since it will be a higher quality compared to most consumer devices. Something like a Thinkpad T460 like this one on Ebay would be great for Minecraft, and it should do KSP pretty well, too. How important is KSP to you for your laptop?

Minecraft isn't optimized well and can chew through a lot of performance.

7 hours ago, Camacha said:

Minecraft isn't optimized well and can chew through a lot of performance.

For what it is, yes. But it will have no problem running on a modern-ish low-spec machine. An old Core-2-Duo runs it fine, and even a very basic graphics card or modern integrated graphics is all that's needed.

@Deddly ThinkPad T460 Looking good but whats your opinion about...

Well, your needs really dictate what you should buy, and unfortunately I know every little about your needs. You mentioned Minecraft and college work but I don't know what kind of college work. Are you modelling in 3D or merely writing reports? What programs will you be running? How much will you be using KSP on it? That's very important and we can't answer your laptop question without knowing more about that. If we were to say "this is the laptop for you", that would be unfair, because it might not meet your needs and then you will have wasted a lot of money. So we need more information about your needs :)

@Deddly I know very little about Kerbal Space Program game and yes i am interested to download it in my laptop, as well as my uni work is not of that extent to take up too much storage, but my gaming is really heavy. My assignments are usually on Excel or power point not much.

Ah I see. Well, KSP wants a powerful CPU, especially for single-core performance. Any modern i5 or I guess i3 or equivalent should be enough, but - for KSP - don't spend a lot of money getting lots of cores. Dual core will be just fine. If you have a CPU from the last couple of years, the on-board (integrated) graphics should also be fine for KSP, but not if you want to add graphics mods. However, since you say you are a heavy gamer, it sounds like you'll probably want to have a good GPU as well. As the others say, it seems like your options for a laptop are limited here. Have you considered getting a cheap laptop and a console, or a desktop instead?

On 04/01/2018 at 8:26 AM, Deddly said:

For what it is, yes. But it will have no problem running on a modern-ish low-spec machine. An old Core-2-Duo runs it fine, and even a very basic graphics card or modern integrated graphics is all that's needed.

It can certainly eat up a lot more than a Core 2 Duo, especially when you start modding. Again, it's not as resource friendly as it looks to be.

21 hours ago, invision said:

looks good but i would try and hold off on the videocard. for 400.00 you could buy a gtx 1070. i know they are sold out and over priced at the moment.

And to add to that, I have already received my GTX 1060. I won’t be doing that hard gaming so that will probably be enough for me. If I find it slow, I’ll probably get another one.