KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

On overclocking: I overclocking my I5-6600K in BIOS (It's an HP machine, FYI). I see all multipliers to 40x  for four gigahertz per core. I checked task manager after doing this and the performance readout still says 3.8 gigahertz average. I haven't tried processor speed In game, but I was wondering if anything could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

@tsaven, your question has been merged into the master thread for this sort of thing. This makes it easier for others with similar questions to browse through the collective wisdom. :) 

Oh hey, there's a whole specific thread for this!  Thanks! :)

4 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

On overclocking: I overclocking my I5-6600K in BIOS (It's an HP machine, FYI). I see all multipliers to 40x  for four gigahertz per core. I checked task manager after doing this and the performance readout still says 3.8 gigahertz average. I haven't tried processor speed In game, but I was wondering if anything could be wrong.

some motherboards are just weird and dont accept multiplier clocks even tho it has the option  for it,  another alternative is find the "power state " mode often call P.state and with this you can tell the motherboard to always run all cores at a specific speed. your motherboard may not have P.state as an  option.

2 minutes ago, invision said:

some motherboards are just weird and dont accept multiplier clocks even tho it has the option  for it,  another alternative is find the "power state " mode often call P.state and with this you can tell the motherboard to always run all cores at a specific speed. your motherboard may not have P.state as an  option.

Ok, thanks. I try when I get home.

3 minutes ago, invision said:

Also, I'd heard that HP did something to stop overclocking and tampering in BIOS. Is there a program you would recommend if the P. State thing dosent work?

Think this is any good for a first build. (Not only for KSP but like Overwatch for example)

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core

MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4

Team Elite Plus 8GB DDR4-2400

WD 1TB Blue 7200 RPM WD10EZEX

GTX 750 TI 128 bit 2GB GDDR5

EVGA BT 450W 

HP Pavilion 22" 1920 x 1080 60Hz Monitor

Corsair K55 Keyboard

Redragon Centrophorus M601 

Edited by MeepTicoMeep

Seeing that this thread is still a thing, I guess I should post here as well!

PCPartPicker build page

VX9J9Ns.jpg

Part list:

• Ryzen 7 2700X @4.2GHz 1.375V
  • Asus Crosshair VII Hero
  • 32Gb (4x8Gb) G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3200MHz CL14
  • Corsair H150i Pro 360mm
  • Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti
  • Corsair HX850i
  • Samsung 960 evo 250Gb
  • Samsung 860 evo 1Tb
  • WD Black 7200rpm 1Tb
  • Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE
  • Fans: 2xCorsair ML140 Pro (front), 3xCorsair ML120 Pro Red (top rad), 1xCorsair ML140 Pro Red (back)
  • Acer Predator 27" IPS 4k60Hz G-Sync
  • Asus Strix Flare MX Brown Keyboard
  • Asus GX950 Laser  Mouse
Album a/Vh2OdI2 will appear when post is submitted
Edited by stupid_chris
Added peripherals

2 minutes ago, TanDeeJay said:

Have you thought about getting an M.2 drive instead of a spinning HDD? That motherboard supports one. And your system would spend a whole lot less time waiting for the HDD.

I have thought of that but it is the price. I am going to build it but I have not yet. Probably going to get one later. I don't want to pay more than $600 for the initial build.

Should I get a 1050 or just go with the 750 ti? It is a big price difference though. I want to spend the least possible to get a decent enough build for around 50-60 fps.

4 hours ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

I have thought of that but it is the price. I am going to build it but I have not yet. Probably going to get one later. I don't want to pay more than $600 for the initial build.

Should I get a 1050 or just go with the 750 ti? It is a big price difference though. I want to spend the least possible to get a decent enough build for around 50-60 fps.

Nevermind should I get a RX 460?

6 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

So. Shiny.

So. Expensive.

Very nice set up though.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:35 PM, MeepTicoMeep said:

Think this is any good for a first build. (Not only for KSP but like Overwatch for example)

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core

MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4

Team Elite Plus 8GB DDR4-2400

WD 1TB Blue 7200 RPM WD10EZEX

GTX 750 TI 128 bit 2GB GDDR5

EVGA BT 450W 

HP Pavilion 22" 1920 x 1080 60Hz Monitor

Corsair K55 Keyboard

Redragon Centrophorus M601 

Ryzen CPU's like really fast ram so try to get DDR-4 3200

graphics card is weak and i would replace with a GTX-1050ti or an GTX-1060. another alternative is a Radeon RX-580

power supply is fine for what you posted but you would need a 550 watt if going with a different graphics card, especially radeon cards.

if you buy and build the pc as you posted the bottleneck will always be your graphics card. the 2gb of video ram just isnt enough to play a  lot of modern games at 1080p with high settings.

6 minutes ago, invision said:

Ryzen CPU's like really fast ram so try to get DDR-4 3200

graphics card is weak and i would replace with a GTX-1050ti or an GTX-1060. another alternative is a Radeon RX-580

power supply is fine for what you posted but you would need a 550 watt if going with a different graphics card, especially radeon cards.

if you buy and build the pc as you posted the bottleneck will always be your graphics card. the 2gb of video ram just isnt enough to play a  lot of modern games at 1080p with high settings.

I know but Im trying to have a budget. I've seen 1080p though with a Rx 460, GTX 750ti, GT 1030, and a Rx560. I am fine with 40-60 fps I can live through it It was intended to be a budget build and my first build.

10 minutes ago, MeepTicoMeep said:

I know but Im trying to have a budget. I've seen 1080p though with a Rx 460, GTX 750ti, GT 1030, and a Rx560. I am fine with 40-60 fps I can live through it It was intended to be a budget build and my first build.

will you be buying a case too?

i built this for just under 600.00 for you....no keyboard  or mouse

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bGx9w6

Edited by invision

1 hour ago, invision said:

will you be buying a case too?

i built this for just under 600.00 for you....no keyboard  or mouse

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bGx9w6

Oh I already made a completed one. Thanks anyway! Oh and Ryzen 3 2200G only supports up to 2993MHz

Here was mine: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kCtWJ8

Edited by MeepTicoMeep

10 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

Nice :D
Too many LEDs for my taste, but plenty of grunt where it counts.

You're actually making me jealous, my OC'd  4960X is getting old, and you're a couple of notches up from me on the GPU too.
Not totally convinced on Ryzen yet (got benchies?), but I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion of ASUS gear. Sweet build.

Just now, steve_v said:

Nice :D
Too many LEDs for my taste, but plenty of grunt where it counts.

You're actually making me jealous, my OC'd  4960X is getting old, and you're a couple of notches up from me on the GPU too.
Not totally convinced on Ryzen yet (got benchies?), but I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion of ASUS gear. Sweet build.

I like bright things haha! I find myself staring into my case while working more often than I'd like to admit.

I mean, at this point the IPC from Ryzen and CoffeeLake (and incoming 9th gen since it's still SkyLake architecture) are like within a few percent point from each other. Sure, Ryzen has lower clocks, but OCs much better, on cheaper B350/450 boards, and has MUCH lower $/core. So unless you want to run very high framerates, they should pretty much handle any game very easily, for cheaper than what Intel has to offer. In my case, given I also have a lot of professional workloads on my hands, 8c/16t is a godsend. Back in 2016, that meant i7-6900k, which was a 1200$ chip... the fact I spent less than 400 on it is crazy. Ryzen's real advantage is not raw performance, but rather pricing, which makes it very competitive at nearly all price points. Benchmark wise, my highest Cinebench score (I didn't push too hard) was 1867 @4.2GHz

As for the GPU, I just needed something that could run The Witcher 3 4k ultra 60fps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I kind wish AMD had a competing product at that performance point, but I didn't have much choice. Kinda glad I didn't wait on Turing... And yes, Asus is bae. Board is insane, GPU is kept cooler than I even thought possible, keyboard feels amazing, mouse is very comfortable and not crazy flashy. Their 4k 27" G-Sync monitor was way overpriced though, saved like 400$ by going Acer with the same specs.

13 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

Ryzen's real advantage is not raw performance, but rather pricing, which makes it very competitive at nearly all price points.

I didn't buy my current CPU new. I'm not that rich, and I'm (mostly) not that crazy. Intel's high-end pricing is insane.
I've been pretty much intel-only since core2, AMD's offering at the time was kinda slow by comparison. The price of the ryzen stuff sure looks nice though.

13 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

Cinebench score (I didn't push too hard) was 1867 @4.2GHz

Great, now I have to go install windoze to see how far behind I am :rolleyes:
100Mhz ahead, 2 cores and 5 years behind... It's not going to be pretty.

Edited by steve_v

3 minutes ago, steve_v said:

I didn't buy my current CPU new. I'm not that rich, and I'm (mostly) not that crazy. Intel's high-end pricing is insane.
I've been pretty much intel-only since core2, AMD's offering at the time was kinda slow by comparison. The price of the ryzen stuff sure looks nice though.

I mean, I think right now an R7 1700 goes for about 250$USD... which is insanely low. No need to be a rich man :P Also, a clean swap-in upgrade path is offered all the way through to 2020, which is great when comparing to Intel who gen-locked 300 series boards. Going Ryzen also stimulates competition in the CPU market, which can only be good for long term pricing on both sides.

1 minute ago, stupid_chris said:

swap-in upgrade path is offered all the way through to 2020, which is great when comparing to Intel who gen-locked 300 series boards.

Yeah, that'd be nice. My current board is end-of-the-line too, orphaned socket and all that. AMD has always been pretty good in this regard, even when they were copying intel's pinouts. :P

Just now, steve_v said:

Yeah, that'd be nice. My current board is end-of-the-line too, orphaned socket and all that. AMD has always been pretty good in this regard, even when they were copying intel's pinouts. :P

I'm planning to just slot in a new CPU in two years then I'm basically good to go for quite a while :P

22 minutes ago, steve_v said:

100Mhz ahead, 2 cores and 5 years behind... It's not going to be pretty.

Cinebench shows an i7-4960x  does about 1000 points on average

Hello everyone.

Lots of time spent after i biught my pc and now i feel i need more.

So the main question is - upgrade current platform is the way, or it's so bad it can not be properly upgraded. No overclocking planned. Not plannig play heavily graphics games(like 120fps on smth like battlefield or starcitizen. Pretty good with 30-60 fps on medium). Main problem for me at this moment - not enough RAM and replace with 1070 videocard. Videocard is pretty unified, but changing ram is the question. If platform is not upgradeable better to wait and buy ddr4.

So the specs

Mb msi z87-g43(msi ms7816)

CPU core i5 4670

RAM 2x8gb ddr3 1333

Gtx 1050ti(i suppose refrence)

Power unit corsair rm650

Lots of hdd( ssd plextor 256 m5s, 2 wd blue 750, 1 wd blue 2tb)

1 hour ago, mwg_test said:

changing ram is the question.

That board does support 32GB (4x8). You could add another 2x8GB, or even 2x4GB. The real question is whether or not you can an you find some DDR3 DIMMS at a price that makes it worthwhile.
Personally I wouldn't buy new RAM for a board that old, but I see some second-hand ripjaws going for ~20USD per 8GB on my local buy-sell. In your position, I'd buy it.
Only on the KSP forums do we see "16GB is not enough" :rolleyes: