KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

What you want to look at is single thread performance.

Unsurprisingly, that i5 blows the baby i3 out of the water, plus it's overclockable.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i3-7320-vs-Intel-i5-9600K/2941vs3337

Unless you're somehow restricted on how well you can cool it or you're on an insanely tight budget (Which I'm guessing you're not), get the i5.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Hi, I'm getting a new gaming laptop next week, and I was wondering what it could run:

CPU: i5-8400H 6-core 2.8Ghz (turbo to 4.1)

Graphics: Nividia GTX1060M 6GB

RAM: 2400Mhz 16GB

120hz display @1920x1080

It will run the game okay.  The real problem with gaming on laptops is that the cooling systems for the CPU aren't designed to run them at full speed for more than a few minutes, and after that they'll start to throttle back to keep the heat under control.  So you'll probably notice a significant performance hit from that.

I think I’m going to get this computer. In the Price range, it has the largest ssd and it’s under budget for me.

What performance should I expect out of it?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-master-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-2tb-hard-drive-240gb-solid-state-drive-black/6290721.p?skuId=6290721

7 hours ago, munlander1 said:

The only thing I see that is noteworthy here is that the RX580 is only the 4GB version. So it's good for FHD but bad at higher resolutions.

I have a bit of an odd question: What is recommended for a smartphone?

I don't care about camera quality, weight, thinness, screen size, audio quality, or any of the "luxury" features in a lot of phones. *cough*apple*cough*

I do care about durability, repairibility, privacy, having decent support from custom ROMs or kernels, and to a lesser degree, battery life. Processing power isn't super important, only enough to ensure that it doesn't bog down on google maps or the like in the next 5 or so years. For budget, I probably would like to spend around $400 USD or less, although my budget is fairly flexible.

I'm happy with Lenovo laptops, but it seems that they only make one phone, that hasn't gotten amazing reviews: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/smart-devices/-lenovo-smartphones/phab-series/c/phab-series

I also ran into the fairphone, which is designed to be extremely easy to repair (every part can be removed and replaced with a screwdriver) and is recommended by ubuntu touch. However, it costs nearly $600 USD and while appreciate the thought of reducing the impact of making a smartphone, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of concrete differences in the actual sources of the hardware. It also uses a version of android that is two versions out of date.

EDIT: Fairphone has an open bootloader, and custom OS's don't void the warranty.

I forgot to mention, I'd also like to be able to replace the battery fairly easily.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

14 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Processing power isn't super important, only enough to ensure that it doesn't bog down on google maps or the like in the next 5 or so years. For budget, I probably would like to spend around $400 USD or less, although my budget is fairly flexible.

I know you already expressed a dislike for Apple and they have their flaws, but one thing that no one can argue they're far better than Android on is that they support their phones for FAR longer than anyone else.  They're still supporting the 5s with software updates and new features, and that's a phone that is six years old.  We've got a bunch at work and they're still buttery-smooth for everything.  You'd never know it wasn't a brand-new phone if it wasn't for the smaller screen.  Whereas good luck getting the newest version of Android on even a flagship phone from 2012.

If you're really looking for a phone that will be smooth and usable for 5 years, Apple is the best way to go.  You can get a 6s or 6s Plus for a couple hundred dollars used, and battery replacements are pretty easy with a $30 kit from iFixit.  And while you don't have the depth of custom fiddling that you do with Android, there's still an active jailbreaking community that gives a lot of options.

2 hours ago, tsaven said:

that will be smooth and usable for 5 years

Everyone i know with decent age iphones complains about the lag and constant crashes. This includes an iphone 6 and SE, the 6 got unusable in the last months...

Sadly the fairphone is extremly outdated in its hardware (it allready was at release), i like the concept. If you want good ROM support look at the XDA developer forums for devices you consider, its easy to check how much development is happening for the phone there...

53 minutes ago, The_8_Bit_Zombie said:

How helpful is dual channel RAM for KSP? (E.g. 2x8GB dual channel, versus 2x8GB single channel)

Are you confusing this with single or dual ranked? Because dual channel is just two sticks of RAM of the same size in specific slots of your mainboard.

Dual ranked RAM seemed to be a bit slower on AMD systems, but that might have been adressed in later BIOS versions of their mainboards.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:07 AM, tsaven said:

I know you already expressed a dislike for Apple and they have their flaws, but one thing that no one can argue they're far better than Android on is that they support their phones for FAR longer than anyone else.  They're still supporting the 5s with software updates and new features, and that's a phone that is six years old.  We've got a bunch at work and they're still buttery-smooth for everything.  You'd never know it wasn't a brand-new phone if it wasn't for the smaller screen.  Whereas good luck getting the newest version of Android on even a flagship phone from 2012.

If you're really looking for a phone that will be smooth and usable for 5 years, Apple is the best way to go.  You can get a 6s or 6s Plus for a couple hundred dollars used, and battery replacements are pretty easy with a $30 kit from iFixit.  And while you don't have the depth of custom fiddling that you do with Android, there's still an active jailbreaking community that gives a lot of options.

It's true that I was being overly snarky, sorry. While apple does provide security updates for longer, I'd prefer to support other companies.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:57 PM, Elthy said:

Everyone i know with decent age iphones complains about the lag and constant crashes. This includes an iphone 6 and SE, the 6 got unusable in the last months...

Sadly the fairphone is extremly outdated in its hardware (it allready was at release), i like the concept. If you want good ROM support look at the XDA developer forums for devices you consider, its easy to check how much development is happening for the phone there...

Thanks for the tip about the XDA forums.

I'm running a crappy old HP Compaq Elite 8300 Ultra Slim desktop and it can play some games on the lowest settings and some are basically un playable. After looking around I found this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16883102537  I assuming this will good for playing KSP or Cities Skylines with nearly max settings. Basically regular gaming (But not the new games) Do you guys think this would be a good buy? Also would it be ok if I used a External hard drive to transfer my files over to the new one?

2 hours ago, Dfthu said:

I'm running a crappy old HP Compaq Elite 8300 Ultra Slim desktop and it can play some games on the lowest settings and some are basically un playable. After looking around I found this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16883102537  I assuming this will good for playing KSP or Cities Skylines with nearly max settings. Basically regular gaming (But not the new games) Do you guys think this would be a good buy? Also would it be ok if I used a External hard drive to transfer my files over to the new one?

From personal experience I can say that the GTX 1050 TI is definitely not enough to run Skylines on max settings and that thing only has the slower 1050 non Ti. And the CPU has a reasonable value if you start with only that CPU and the built-in graphics. If they already sell it to you with a dedicated graphics card it is somewhat questionable.

Hi All,

Been playing on my self-built PC for about 3 years now, so it's getting around to time for an upgrade. Current specs: 

• i5-6500 3.2 Ghz Processor
  • MSI PC Mate 170A motherboard
  • 16GB RAM (2x8GB)
  • GTX 960 GPU
  • 256GB SSD, 500GB HDD
  • Outputting to 1080p 60Hz HDTV (no need for 4k or ridiculous framerate)

I've heard that KSP relies on single thread performance more than most games do, so I was wondering if it would be better to upgrade my CPU or my GPU next? The motherboard I have is a fairly entry-level model when I purchased it in 2015, so I'm wondering how much benefit I can get while staying on the LGA1151 socket. Is it time to upgrade the motherboard as well? If so, is it worth considering the new AMD processors?

Thanks for all your feedback!

--miamijuggler