Sign in to follow this  
Leonov

KSP Unofficial Official Computer Building/Buying Megathread. (All Questions Acceptable.)

Recommended Posts

Only problem with the R5 series is that the 4c8t still run off two CCXs, we'll have to wait for the APUs to get one CCX module CPUs, so if I upgrade I'll likely get a high end APU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, legoclone09 said:

Only problem with the R5 series is that the 4c8t still run off two CCXs, we'll have to wait for the APUs to get one CCX module CPUs, so if I upgrade I'll likely get a high end APU.

Having two CCXs means having better thermal dissipation and cherry picked cores within a CCX. You do not get that with a single CCX. Somehow people are fooled into believing the two CCX setup makes the chip unsuitable for gaming, but that could not be further from the truth. There seems to be a minor penalty so far. AMD has announced that a new stepping will soon appear that should mitigate or fully fix the issue. Whatever the case, the chip as it stands is already an absolute performer.

It baffles me that people have so much trouble looking at the bigger picture. These are relatively cheap chips with what looks to be awesome performance. What more could you want? It is a bit like going to the car dealership, getting a great deal on a really fancy car and then complaining that you do not want it, because a much more expensive car accelerates slightly faster. To make matters more confusing, most people never wanted to buy that more expensive car in the first place.

The community confuses me sometimes. I like computers. I understand computers. The annoying little buggers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Camacha Ah, didn't hear about CCX things being fixed. It definitely is a great price, and I'll probably get a R5 chip later this year or next year, whenever I need to upgrade my 4670k. Thanks flr the info, though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Camacha said:

AMD has announced that a new stepping will soon appear that should mitigate or fully fix the issue. Whatever the case, the chip as it stands is already an absolute performer.

Have they? From what i know they want to fix some issues with Ryzen-2, which wont come for at least a year. The CCX link design isnt something you fix with a new stepping, its a fundamental part of the architecture. I can only imagine one short term "fix" for the bandwidth limitation; currently it seems that the link speed is coupled to the RAM frequency. Maybe they can add in a factor, so even with cheaper RAM it could run at full possible speed, but even that would be to big for a simple new stepping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A quick look into it myself indicates the performance penalty will be partly alleviated with an OS that understands the relationship between the cores. The initial issue is similar to with Bulldozer when the OS's didn't know about the two-core modules sharing resources. Or it's like if you had an Intel chip and the OS hadn't heard of hyperthreading.

On the other hand, Windows 7 and 8 stickers might never get the required OS updates. Once Win 10 does, it might be interesting to see how much Windows 7 actually suffers with Ryzen and also KL.

Edited by cantab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, cantab said:

On the other hand, Windows 7 and 8 stickers might never get the required OS updates. Once Win 10 does, it might be interesting to see how much Windows 7 actually suffers with Ryzen and also KL.

Surprisingly, Windows 7 has better performance than Windows 10 and appears to deal with things better.

Edited by Camacha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Camacha said:

Surprisingly, Windows 7 has better performance than Windows 10 and appears to deal with things better.

I think it's due to the highest end Intel Core 2 Duos being on a system similar to Ryzen.

Edited by legoclone09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll assemble Ryzen 1700 PC next month and will do some oc vs stock tests for KSP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... I was cable managing earlier because my management is horrendous. I get a 2-port SATA power cable out of my Thermaltake PSU bag and unplug my 4-port one, I only had two ports being used so I figured why not consolidate. Guess what brand that SATA power cable was? Corsair. Not Thermaltake. Boot up, hear a click, smell burnt plastic. Unplug PC immediately and ask PCMR discord for help with what went wrong and they said try another SATA power cable. Tried the previous one I used and it worked fine... on my SSD. There goes about 400GB of games. And this all happened on my birthday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch.

Yes, modular power supply cables are in general not compatible with different power supplies, and using the wrong one will make stuff Go Horribly Wrong. Even two supplies with the same brand can need totally different cables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cantab said:

Ouch.

Yes, modular power supply cables are in general not compatible with different power supplies, and using the wrong one will make stuff Go Horribly Wrong. Even two supplies with the same brand can need totally different cables.

Yep. I knew stuff can be screwed up but I didn't see the text on the cable until after I killed my HDD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've just been informed that my 2011 HP Pavilion dv6 is well past its planned obsolescence of 4 years. Besides the fact that the battery is doing what any old battery does, I've only had one BSoD in May of last year. I do not need a new computer, I run KSP just fine, as long as I don't load in a bunch of ships, but I'm starting to wonder if I should start looking for a new computer. I have very little knowledge on computers, and I don't know if I want to upgrade to Windows 10.

 

Any recommendations or advice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheKosanianMethod said:

So I've just been informed that my 2011 HP Pavilion dv6 is well past its planned obsolescence of 4 years. Besides the fact that the battery is doing what any old battery does, I've only had one BSoD in May of last year. I do not need a new computer, I run KSP just fine, as long as I don't load in a bunch of ships, but I'm starting to wonder if I should start looking for a new computer. I have very little knowledge on computers, and I don't know if I want to upgrade to Windows 10.

 

Any recommendations or advice? 

Build a PC. What would your budget be? I assume you'll need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Build a PC. What would your budget be? I assume you'll need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor as well.

I have no idea on budget, I'll have to check, but i've heard PC building is a good option.

 

... this would be a good time to put the the joke about the kid who bought the "gaming computer", but actually bought a monitor,  keyboard, and mouse, no tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

I have no idea on budget, I'll have to check, but i've heard PC building is a good option.

 

... this would be a good time to put the the joke about the kid who bought the "gaming computer", but actually bought a monitor,  keyboard, and mouse, no tower.

If I remember right, there was a story like that on r/pcmasterrace. Here's a good price/perf PC that looks nice too. I threw an aftermarket CPU cooler in to keep temperatures low. You don't need one, though. Should run KSP nicely, but if you can spare another $70 or so you can get a Z270 chipset motherboard and an overclockable i5 to run KSP a lot better. If you overclock the i5 you should be able to hit 4.2GHz or so on the M9i, with a Cryorig H7 you can likely hit 4.4GHz.

Edited by legoclone09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 17/03/2017 at 3:59 PM, Elthy said:

Have they? From what i know they want to fix some issues with Ryzen-2, which wont come for at least a year.

Yes. They will release the update in the HEDT and server platforms, but the improvements will be deployed across the range.

19 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

So I've just been informed that my 2011 HP Pavilion dv6 is well past its planned obsolescence of 4 years. Besides the fact that the battery is doing what any old battery does, I've only had one BSoD in May of last year. I do not need a new computer, I run KSP just fine, as long as I don't load in a bunch of ships, but I'm starting to wonder if I should start looking for a new computer. I have very little knowledge on computers, and I don't know if I want to upgrade to Windows 10.

Any recommendations or advice? 

This planned obsolescence thing is blown way out of proportions and should not be taken as a rule. Stuff gets designed to last a certain amount of key presses, run hours etcetera, yes, but that is what engineers do and always have done. Because of this, consumer pressure on price ensures that these machines will not last decades. However, few, if any devices have an actual built in kill switch. Some examples will inevitably pop up, but in the overwhelming majority of the cases, it is simply a matter of designing a product to a price. You get what you pay for.

Long story short: it sounds like you have no reason to upgrade. You are happy, so be happy :) Maybe get a battery replacement and, as always, make sure you you have proper backups, which means having at least two copies on two separate hard drives.

Edited by Camacha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Camacha said:

*snip*

Thanks, I'm not planning on replacing my laptop just yet. I have a whole bunch of stuff on there, and it works, so I plan to at least use it for another year or two, if not more. I'm just planning ahead, just in case it does fail early or something. So this takes a bit of worry off.

 

Thanks, @legoclone09, I'll check it out. Hopefully my computer doesn't go for a while,  but it seems like it should last. And yes, the story about how to not buy computers was from Reddit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

@legoclone09Thanks, I'm not planning on replacing my laptop just yet. I have a whole bunch of stuff on there, and it works, so I plan to at least use it for another year or two, if not more. I'm just planning ahead, just in case it does fail early or something. So this takes a bit of worry off.

Planning ahead pretty much never works out in hardware land. Always look at and buy hardware at the moment you need it. The only exception might be a new series coming up, but that is holding out, rather than planning ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Planning ahead pretty much never works out in hardware land. Always look at and buy hardware at the moment you need it. The only exception might be a new series coming up, but that is holding out, rather than planning ahead.

By  planning ahead I guess I meant "seeing if I really need a new computer right now. "

Edited by TheKosanianMethod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi folks

I'm looking for a new laptop but I'm a bit confused by the modern computer specs so I'm hopping someone here can help me out in narrowing down the spec for a suitable machine for KSP.

I don't want something that can handle a 2000+ part ship at 60 fps on the highest settings, just a reasonable sized ship on the low to mid settings. I don't have a budget in mind but I'm probably going to be looking at a refurbished computer.

Many thanks.

 

Mods, I don't know if this is the right place for this thread if it's not could you please move it? 

 

Edited by Star-Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks gargamel, I think one of those computers could just about handle a larger ship in KSP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's been a while since I looked at laptop specs, but KSP likes fast cores rather than lots of cores, so I'd go for an intel i5 CPU, but make sure it is a  non- "u" model as the u series are the low power, low clock speed models, especially on laptops a few years old. I'd also recommend a basic dedicated graphics card like an Nvidia 540/640/740/940/ rather than built in intel /AMD graphics. 8GB of RAM will be plenty.

I play KSP flawlessly at high settings on my i5 3xxxx (we're on 7xxx now, so a good few years old!) 2.8GHz CPU, Nvidia 650m, 8GB RAM.

Edited by Stewcumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Star-Eagle, your question has been merged into the master thread for this sort of thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Star-Eagle said:

Thanks gargamel, I think one of those computers could just about handle a larger ship in KSP.

Heh... misread your post, I thought you were messing around saying you did want a 2000 part ship at max fps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this