Leonov

KSP Unofficial Official Computer Building/Buying Megathread. (All Questions Acceptable.)

13 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

I know upgrading the graphics card will help (leaning towards a RTX 2060), and I'm going to try a more aggressive OC, but would it make sense to bump up to 32 gigs of ram?

Neither the GPU nor the RAM will increase performance very much unless you plan on using graphic intensive mods or a whole lot of very large mods.

13 hours ago, strudo76 said:

What resolution do you play at?

Currently 1920 x 1080, but my goal is to upgrade to 2560 x 1440 sometime in the next 12 months and use the existing monitor as a second screen for Internet and whatnot while playing.

10 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Neither the GPU nor the RAM will increase performance very much unless you plan on using graphic intensive mods or a whole lot of very large mods.

As I said in my post, I'm looking to increase performance in RP-1 with all the visual mods. This would include Scatterer, EVE, TU, KS3P, and many large part mods such as BDB, SSTU, and FASA, which combine to over 60K MM patches when loading. Currently I'm compromising on visuals to get decent frame rate, including lowest res ocean in Scatterer, no volumetric clouds in EVE, 4K textures for planets and clouds. I'd love to up some of these settings and upgrade to 8K or higher textures.

Edit: And just to be clear, RP-1 includes both RSS and Realism Overhaul by reference, along with other compute-intensive mods such as Remote Tech, TAC-LS (with processing of unloaded vessels), TestFlight, RealFuels, RealPlume, and KCT.

Edited by Norcalplanner
Typos and clarification

On 2/13/2019 at 6:15 PM, Norcalplanner said:

Currently 1920 x 1080, but my goal is to upgrade to 2560 x 1440

I'd love to up some of these settings and upgrade to 8K or higher textures.

Well okay, then you probably need a more juicy GPU. My main gripe with the 2060 would be that it still only has 6GB and that might be a limiting factor in texture size.

On 2/17/2019 at 2:12 AM, Harry Rhodan said:

Well okay, then you probably need a more juicy GPU. My main gripe with the 2060 would be that it still only has 6GB and that might be a limiting factor in texture size.

I was originally thinking 1070 or 1070 Ti when I first started thinking about this after Christmas, but it looks like the 2060 is either equal to or ahead of the 1070 in most benchmarks, for over a hundred dollars less.  Honestly, I don't think I'll ever go to 4K on a desktop - my eyes are "maturing" and I already have to wear my near distance glasses when I'm on the computer.

2 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

my eyes are "maturing" and I already have to wear my near distance glasses when I'm on the computer.

Even then 4k might be good because you have to rely less on antialiasing mechanisms that make the picture or fonts slightly more fuzzy.

Except in older games like KSP ... oh ...

Edited by Harry Rhodan

Hey all. I've had the game for awhile but never really gotten into it due to having computers that just aren't good enough. I recently upgraded my laptop and found it can actually run KSP and I've been obsessed since. I've got a problem, though. I want to get into modding and I find myself having crashes due to running out of memory. Looking at performance in task manager shows I don't have a good enough anything to run the game well, and I'm looking at getting a new desktop. Unfortunately I've never been one for shopping and I don't really know where to start. I figured other KSP players would have a good idea of what I'd probably be looking at that can run KSP well but isn't over 1.5k, can anyone help me?

4 hours ago, johiah said:

Hey all. I've had the game for awhile but never really gotten into it due to having computers that just aren't good enough. I recently upgraded my laptop and found it can actually run KSP and I've been obsessed since. I've got a problem, though. I want to get into modding and I find myself having crashes due to running out of memory. Looking at performance in task manager shows I don't have a good enough anything to run the game well, and I'm looking at getting a new desktop. Unfortunately I've never been one for shopping and I don't really know where to start. I figured other KSP players would have a good idea of what I'd probably be looking at that can run KSP well but isn't over 1.5k, can anyone help me?

Is 1.5K your budget?  Because you can get quite a bit for that price point.  Comfortable KSP can be pretty easily had for half that.

14 hours ago, johiah said:

I recently upgraded my laptop and found it can actually run KSP and I've been obsessed since.

Looking at performance in task manager shows I don't have a good enough anything to run the game well,

Well if it is running well enough for you then the cheapest option would be to upgrade the RAM of your laptop.

KSP mostly needs a CPU with raw single core power so a high clocked Intel CPU would be a good choice. For the rest of the parts you might want to look at sites like this to get an idea on what to pick: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. While my RAM is *somewhat* stressed, the main issue is that this laptop has an iGPU. Looking at the resource manager while playing has shown that to most consistently be at 100%. I can and probably will still upgrade the RAM in my laptop for mobility, but yeah. GPU cannot be upgraded, I've checked.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:03 PM, Geonovast said:

Is 1.5K your budget?  Because you can get quite a bit for that price point.  Comfortable KSP can be pretty easily had for half that.

Since I'm going to need a desktop at some point anyways I figured I might as well get one this summer, and if I'm going to do that, might as well go big.