BDA Sandbox

A lot of recent threads attempt (quite unsuccessfully) to join in on the BD Armoury air competition market. You know what? I just may become one of these people. Except for one stark difference:

There are no rules.

You can build anything you want: a plane, a supermaneuverable 100 ton strategic bomber filled with goalkeepers or AMRAAMs set to 1200rpm, a 10km2 array of CWIS cannons or SAM sites. A boat. Something with no weapons (why would you want that when everyone else will clearly opt for the "kill" tactic). Whatever. What you have to do is take on any creation of your choice, provided by other players. The only constraints are:

- Battles must take place below 70km, and around the Space Center vicinity.

- Only BD armoury allowed.

- No infinite ammo.

There you go. fight.

Edited by Matuchkin

This challenge already has three challenges like it, @Mukita12's FAR air superiority fighter contest, @Earthlinger's naval challenge, and @HeroBrian_333's Stock air superiority fighter contest. All of these are doing well and going strong, so this is obviously not a reboot of an old challenge. Also, no rules = more detail needed for structure = poor challenge. Also, there is no real way to pick a winner.

Edited by HeroBrian_333

@HeroBrian_333 - I think its pretty good. Also, this isn't like ANY of those challenges, in that I could do whatever the hell I'd like unlike with those where I have to abide by a certain set of rules. Also, there is a pretty good indicator of the winner - whoever is surviving.

4 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

This challenge is basically saying, "Play KSP, but post here.

My understanding of this is it's more like a game rather than a challenge. The goal as I see it is to make a craft, someone fights it, someone else fights that one etc. etc. only with no limitations as to the type of craft or the part number. Am I right, @Matuchkin?

8 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

"Play KSP, but post here

So are you also saying that the "image/gif war" threads on the lounge are essentially "browse the internet, but post here?" Because that's analogous to your claim.

9 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

This challenge already has three challenges like it, @Mukita12's FAR air superiority fighter contest, @Earthlinger's naval challenge, and @HeroBrian_333's Stock air superiority fighter contest.

8 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

poster did not look at threads if he thinks the other BAD challenges we dying.

Let's see. What did I say that these threads have that I don't? Hmm...

Please read the OP fully before you reply. I understand that there are other competitions out there, each with strict rules and limitations. Don't you think that removing these rules will make this at least a bit different, or do you just read the title, look at the word "BDA" and post accordingly? I think I made all of this clear in the OP. Finally, don't start assuming my ignorance to other posts, just don't.

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

My understanding of this is it's more like a game rather than a challenge. The goal as I see it is to make a craft, someone fights it, someone else fights that one etc. etc. only with no limitations as to the type of craft or the part number. Am I right, @Matuchkin?

Yes, you are absolutely correct. This is not a competition, and I never said that I wanted it to be one.

Now, on with the game. Presumably with submissions from people who can understand more than the title of a thread, such as @Deddly.

28 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Well, the death star tank will be able to withstand 10 of the Bessemer drones, will hover (making it amphibious), have a millennium anti-aircraft cannon, 30 50 cal. turrets, and... lasers. Lots of lasers arranged in a circle.

Bessemer?

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

I'm assuming ramming is allowed....? Plz.... :D

Yep, it is. Have fun.

1 hour ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I will post my DEATH STAR TANK here.

If that was supposed to be a passive aggressive/sarcastic post to show how easily overpowered these BDA weapons can be, then you still don't understand that this is the exact concept of the thread: crazy weaponry against crazy weaponry in crazy conditions. Not everything has to be "maximum weaponry= 2 50cal guns and 4 AIM-9 sidewinders, only planes." If you don't like the challenge, find a new one.

If that was not a sarcastic quote, then scratch everything said in the above paragraph  and feel free to post your death star tank, whatever it looks like. Cheers.

34 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Well, the death star tank will be able to withstand 10 of the Bessemer drones, will hover (making it amphibious), have a millennium anti-aircraft cannon, 30 50 cal. turrets, and... lasers. Lots of lasers arranged in a circle.

Right then, that's great.

2 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I read the whole post. So this is basically a place where people come to trade craft for BDA battles? If so, should have been posted on the craft exchange.

Well, I think I framed this more like a challenge because of the expected atmosphere of such a thing: more like a sequence of random battles rather than just a trade off. What do you think?

Edited by Matuchkin

24 minutes ago, qzgy said:

In one save, I've fortified the entire KSC with a bunch of lasers. Wanna take it on?

YES!

Though it depends on the part count of all the lasers. My computer's not so good, so it'll have to be below a hundred in order for my PC to handle the defences and the stuff I'll be using to attack

I know of an old version of the large ship parts mod that's still compatible with the latest version of KSP. Unlike the most recent version, it has boat parts with ridiculously high heat capacities and impact tolerances, such that one battleship hull piece took several thousand 30mm rounds to destroy when I tested them. I also fired three AIM-120's at them that hit at a velocity of 567 m/s, and nothing.

With KJR, Tweakscale, and any other weapon mod such as NAS, we could create low-part count flying warships and fight each other with raw, unadulterated firepower. I do have such a ship on Kerbalx, but I will admit it's been untested in combat. :blush:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.