Properller Planes got to Orbit - how far can you go with props? (+ Prop-Nerv SSTOs)

Trying to work on Eve SSTO, realized that it's impossible.

Although, in this process I got a single stage (stock) propeller plane with rockets equipped capable of orbit.

It ascends to the edge of the stratosphere only with propellers, and get into orbit with rockets.

Album https://imgur.com/a/Ux6qS will appear when post is submitted

So propeller plane can get to stable orbit, if enough rocket engines and fuel are provided.

Then, a new question arose. How far can a propeller plane go?

Rules:

1. No cheating, No Alt+F12 cheats in flight. (Visible bits are allowed) + No mods with gameplay effects. (Again, visible mods are allowed)

2. Only rocket engines and stock propellers are allowed on the entire flight. No airbreathers, no infiniglides, no gyroscope drive, etc.

3. The plane should be able to take off and fly around fully-fueled with propeller-only.

4. Propellers should be able to be re-docked to the craft, to ensure the completeness of the craft on orbit after physics load.

5. It shouldn't take over an hour for a craft to get to orbit.

6. At least a kerbal should be on board.

Score is the dv left on orbit.

The destination of the plane can be noted on the leaderboard.

Leaderboard:

+ All rocket engines allowed

1. @Reusables 3m/s

2. @Reusables 0m/s

+ Propeller-Nerv SSTO

1. @Reusables 3m/s

+ Propeller-Ion SSTO

+ Propeller Passenger Plane (contains Mk3 Passenger Module)

Edited by Reusables

It seems that I'm going to be the only one working on these things...

So here's my attempt on Propeller-Nerv SSTO:

Album https://imgur.com/a/48HF6 will appear when post is submitted

Screenshots of the whole flight will be coming when it's finished.

EDIT: Got it to orbit, with minimal change. (Only added 2 pairs of full wet wings)   3m/s of dv left.

Album https://imgur.com/a/xTCoY will appear when post is submitted
Edited by Reusables

• 3 years later...

Maybe this thread is so old to be irrelevant but it’s a challenge that seems relatively unmet and searching led me to it.

I don’t know if people do this all the time but I’ve made several craft that use propellors to get high enough for a Wolfhound engine to be relatively efficient and then go to orbit from there. I mostly use the r-25 ducted fan blades. I end up with several hundred spare delta v on orbit usually. But this is with both expansions that weren’t released when this post was made. (But, the new parts aren’t necessarily better for very high altitude propellor craft).

Anyway I find this craft / strategy quite fun and satisfying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.