The Duna Enterprise - Dialogue

GarrisonChisholm

On 12/9/2017 at 12:58 PM, Mikki said:

@GarrisonChisholm Hi there, i hope you didn`t throw the towell allready... look i took a sharp look at The things and made an example for the minimal loadout to Duna, it does not contain Power, propulsion and such, only life support minimal needs for a 2.5 year roundtrip...

Pay attention to at least one water recycler and one SOE reactor...

At the rear are two large water containers,
One large and two medium Food containers not filled in the middle.

Ammonia to service the greenhouses, they make food enough for four Kerbals perpetually

Two tanks of oxygen, one nitrogen

I really don`t know if three shields would be sufficient for survival... :confused:

Reveal hidden contents

0juNaZT.png

I will strive to get the ship file from my crashed game, and load it into the VAb-  I would swear it would do it, but for the rads apparently!

6 hours ago, SpaceN00b said:

@GarrisonChisholm If you are still interested i think it would be a cool thing to todo

Thank you for the vote of confidence- I think. :P   I don't think this will take off *soon*, but I do have the bug to write so I am going to strive to get my game in a position to support this enterprise.  Once I am sure I can (and will not be leading anyone else on), I'll start a fresh thread.  This thread will be the "how to/ground rules" thread.  :]

Ok, let's see how this goes.

screenshot8_zps1mtpqjce.png

This is the stack top, showing total Dv.

screenshot9_zpsq4fpuwwh.png

This is the interplanetary craft- the whole thing lands, no docking required (a very unlikable task for me, though *yes* I have that skill- it just isn't fun).

It has space for 9 Kerbals, though only 2 were intended for the mission.  At 500m the small tanks providing settling thrust are ejected and the landing legs deployed.  There was 3200 m/s Dv for return from the surface, which should have been ample.  Supplies for 2 would have lasted for the journey and return even allowing for a missed return window.

screenshot10_zpswjakdh5h.png

This is the return capsule, which is neutrally stable and safe from a test Minmus return to a 20km pe.

The full test craft, unmanned & intact, now rests on its side on Duna in that save, 2 of its 4 landing legs having vaporized due to a 5-7m/s lateral sheer of unknown cause.  I was actually inclined to proceed with the crewed mission, and had had secondary landing "piers" installed in case the same things happened again.

However, it sounds like they would have fried half-way there, so perhaps it is just as well the save failed.

My intent would be to do something similar in this game, though now that it sounds like I have interested partners the development might go in a different direction.  Originally I was at a point of decision (Go/No-go) to meet the contract, and I thought to host a lively debate on the topic.  Now that @Sorabh is very interested though, there may instead be many continual interjections as the game progresses.  We shall see.  :)

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

I am very close to posting my pre-amble, which will be under a new thread title so the first post is "story", though I do not wish to discourage conversation in there- that is a great deal of the enjoyment of such an enterprise.

To note a couple of set-up rules, I am playing on (I think) 20% science rewards, and also a house rule about engines.  When I first gain a research node with an engine, only a Tweak-scaled downsized version will initially be available.  Once I expand a node further, then the "normal" engine will be available, and at 2 nodes further Tweak-scaling will be unlimited.

Lastly, I would like to thank Sorabh for this excellent banner!  The game will run on my machine, but thanks to his enthusiastic inquiries he will be a frequently contributing co-author, voicing Mort and advocating for the financial side of KSP.   When a major decision arises which could be of dramatic interest, we will turn to my original concept and open the issue to the floor in a "staff meeting", wherein any interested party may introduce a persona to advocate for a particular line of debate.

Here's to a healthy tale!!

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

@Geschosskopf, here is my mod-list!  Forgive me it is in screen caps, far more expedient than typing;

Capture2_zpsetuukhhh.png

Capture3_zps6z6cis9t.png

Capture1_zpsagjcbojl.png

As to your specific questions, the checkered tubes at the base of the LBT are sounding rocket motors from SoundingRockets! by RoverDude.  They are not as useful as they could be, as "normal" solid rockets (Flea, Hammer) are available just as soon, but they Are quite cheap so if your program is in trouble you can still cobble something together for science.  However, the solid rocket motors have one Very useful ability.  They mount radially, and automatically fall away when they burn out, so no decouplers required and useful initial thrust.  They longest the largest burn is about 10 seconds (I think), but they can help you get off the pad.

• 5 months later...

Good afternoon everyone (& by that I mean the 3 or 4 folks who follow my tale).

As some of you may know I have had an encroaching problem with loading my persistent save rear its ugly head.  My game finally refused to load, and 6 days of fiddling and hacking couldn't restore it.  Finally I proceeded with my best guess for the fix to the problem.  I uninstalled Kerbalism, and indeed the save loaded up- however, every Flight that had a kerbalism part was unloaded.  I wasn't sure if they would be restored when I restored Kerbalism, but getting into the game was better than losing it.  I deleted about 10 redundant/useless flights, reinstalled Kerbalism and loaded the game.  Sure enough I lost a lot I did not intend to, but at least I was in.

Long-story-short, removing Kerbalism 'unloaded' everything with a kerbalism part, and the radiation detector science part is one I used a lot.  When I restored kerbalism, the lost flights were not restored.  I lost about 25 missions I did not plan to lose.  I have 1 satellite around Kerbin, 1 around Mun, 2 around Minmus, 1 around Eve, a single seismic sensor on Ike, and 2 relays around Duna (the most recent two from WWYT).  I have a relay sat in LKO set for Duna in a year, and the 4 deep space relays still going.  That's it.  All other landers and relay sats are gone.

Flights can go on however, so I am in truth delighted.  I will wait a day or two for anyone to respond with an important note ("I really wish you would do xyz, or, "just edit your old save with BLANK and fix it dummy"), and then I will go ahead with the next post- which will include a story explanation for what happened.  :)

Thanks for your patience everyone! ... well, that might be ambitious..., thanks for your patience You!

7 hours ago, roboslacker said:

It's a shame, I've been really enjoying this. Too bad I don't know much about debugging.

It is kind-of a shame, but the good news is we are not losing any progress or the main story.  I'm also pretty sure that the explanation for what happened will prove to be a good moment for storytelling.  :]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.